Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #1  

Default What's the best breakfast?

I like eating cereal in the morning. I start work at 9 am so it's fast . I usually have Special K (the chocolate one, I know, I know, but can't resist it )
So, if you eat cereal for breakfast, what do you think is the best one if you're on a diet?
bellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I LOVE Fiber One, but I usually need to add some banana or berries in to give it some more flavor. I also like Fiber One mixed in yogurt... yum!

Other than that, even though it has more calories, I love granola. I like the Zoe's brand. They have a Honey Almond Granola that is delicious.

If you are into hot cereals, oatmeal (cooked on the stove not the instant) and cream of wheat are great. You can add sugar or sweetener to either one if you want. I like brown sugar and cinnamon in my oatmeal.

Edited to add - Lately for breakfast though I have been having smoothies. 1 c fat free plain yogurt, 1 cup 1% milk, and 1 cup of frozen mixed berries (or other frozen fruit. bananas and grapes work great too!) VERY filling plus I'm getting a lot of my calcium and some of my fruit/veggie servings in there.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Lightbulb

I always have oatmeal. I sprinkle it with cinnamon and splenda, add whatever fruit I want, and 1 C of 1% milk (the oatmeal and milk come to 270 calories, I don't count the fruit). Sometimes I even add a little unsweetened cocoa to give it that chocolately goodness.

I've never found any cereal that I liked enough to want to keep eating it, and when it comes to dry cereal that is sweetened/flavored, I avoid it just to make sure that I don't binge on it. I might try Fibre One next time I go grocery shopping, though. I've heard a ton of good stuff about it.
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I don't love cereal and could happily never eat it again, but most days I eat Kashi GoLean just to force some breakfast down. The Kashi has really good nutritional stats: 1 cup with 1/2 cup of skim milk nets you 185 calories, 1g fat, 36g carbs, 10g fiber and 18g protein. It's really healthy and it doesn't taste that bad.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #5  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

I always have Choco-flakes. I wouldn't say any cereal is particularly wrong as long as you're eating it with moderation. I try to have 30 grams of choco-flakes in the morning and with 270ml of soya milk... and i LOVE IT. Or if i'm extra hungry I have two eggs scrambled with a couple of teaspoons of milk... half a tomato and a few mushrooms on two pieces of toast. OOOH and about a quarter of a teaspoon of butter just to limber up the frying pan.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:10 PM   #6  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I have a mix of fibre one and puffed organic brown rice with non fat plain yogurt and some kind of fruit (usually half of - banana, pear, grapes, berries, mango, whatever I have in the house)

on the weekends sometimes I'll have egg white with spinach and a bit of mozarella for some flavour.

somtimes I have plain oatmeal with fruit mixed in as well.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I love my oatmeal and eggwhite omellette ... I think you should chose a cereal that has a high ratio of fiber with not too much sugar so that it'll keep you going till mid morning at least 3 hours...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #8  

Thanks for the input, ladies!
Ilene, I can handle 3 hours with Special K
bellybutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:13 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

If Special K works for you, that's really good, but SK is only air to me and I wouldn't last an hour... Everyone is different and that's a wonderful thing ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #10  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I love Rice Krispies. A cup is only 100 calories and it seems to fill me up better than Special K. Rice Krispies and a little OJ is really all I need in the morning because I have a really early lunch break. Well, not really early but 12ish and I eat breakfast at like 10.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #11  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

usually a cup of cereal with 6 oz. soy milk -- though I may occasionally go for oatmeal (2 instant packs, one sweetened & one plain) or an egg white wrap.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Shredded Wheat or Raisin Bran cereal and 1% milk, sometimes with a banana sliced on top is the fast breakfast for me. A protein shake - milk, banana, frozen blueberries (in season), chocolate protein powder and a couple of dollops of low fat yogurt is the messier one. And on the weekend I like to make an omelette with veggies and goat cheese for Sunday if DH and I are both home.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

I eat this everyday! It tastes delicious, fills me up and keeps me full till lunch;

1 whole wheat english muffin
1-1-2 TBSP Natural Peanut Butter
w/ 1/2 banana (cut in slices)

...better go, time to make my breakfast!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #14  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

For me I think a "proper" breakfast sets me up for the whole day.

This morning I had cereal and it knocked me for a loop - I've been grazing on stuff because I've been hungrier than usual.

I normally have scrambled eggs on toast with cheese and butter or a veggie sausage sandwich and that sees me right till lunchtime.

I can't be doing with any cold cereal at all because it makes my blood-sugar crash, but if you can last till lunch on chocolate special K, then that's good for you!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #15  
Woman on a Mission

S/C/G: 167/see ticker/120

Height: 5'4"

Breakfast has become my favorite & most varied meal of the day! I LOVE lowfat organic vanilla yogurt w/frozen blueberries~~gets this ice creamy goodness going on, yummo! Also egg white & veggie omelets, oatmeal with fruit, and the occasional bowl of cold cereal--it usually kicks off a day of cravings though, so it's not often that I have that! Yum! I wish it was breakfast again!
mamajones is offline   Reply With Quote