Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Exercise - Older and Tired?

I just turned 51. I know that's not super old but are others tired like me DH and I are empty nesters so I really don't have to deal with taking care of children in the evening. I work a full time job, come home and fix dinner, clean up, do some laundry, check out 3FC, prepare for work tomorrow and all I want to do is sit in front of the TV, relax and go to bed.

I do, for the most part, eat well and have lots of energy during the day, but come 7:00 ot 8:00, I'm tired. I tell myself all day that I will exercise when I get home but I'm just tired . I just can't seem to make myself exercise. I think I would if I didn't work because on the weekend I do get some exercise in around 3:00 in the afternoon and it feels pretty good. I just can't seem to do it during the week. I know some people exercise in the morning but I am soooo not a morning person and that just isn't going to happen .

Every day I tell myself that I will exercise and everyday I don't. Does anyone else feel my pain ?
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a friend who's husband watches a LOT of hockey on TV. She just figured that if she was going to be there anyway, she might as well be on the floor doing exercises.

Some days, the best I can do is flipping some dumbells around while I watch CSI ... ya know what? It's better than nuthin'.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

I'm not a morning person either, and didn't think I'd like a.m. workouts. But, after trying it, I have decided that early morning is the best workout time for me. In fact, it's weird, but I seem to wake up better at 6 than I do at my old time, 6:45. More often than not, I wake up 5 or 10 minutes before the alarm. It's great, because I have found that if I workout at the beginning of the day, not only can the workout get "squeezed out" later in the day because I'm tired (or whatever), but I also tend to make better food choices after I have worked out.

I suggest trying the early morning thing for 2 weeks. If you still can't stand it, well, at least you tried.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #4  

Height: 5'6

My workouts have suffered lately, but when i WAS on track, I correlated my workout either first thing in the AM (which is hard for me because i'm not a morning person either) or late at night. My problem with a work out any other time is the sweat factor...I have to allow for a shower afterward, so afternoon workouts are always out for me because i don't want to get re-ready in the middle of the day. I like a late night workout ,but it can get you hyped up and not ready for bed.
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:43 AM   #5  
The last 10

S/C/G: 200/140/130

Height: 5'8"

I get my lazy self up in the am and work out then. My motto is, no watching TV unless I am doing some kind of exercise. My elliptical is parked in front of it. I also found out that when my diet is higher in carbs, sugar/breads/flour, etc., I am more prone to fatigue. I do end up having more energy when I do make time to work out.
Currydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #6  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Age can be a state of mind as much as anything else. I know because as far as exercise is concerned I'm knocking 90 and I'm 35.

I know exactly what you mean but it's not cos you're 51. It's because you work darned hard, you probably don't naturally love exercise and you'd rather not be doing it. Of course, this could be way off beam and it's just me I'm describing!

I make myself do it around 4 times a week. At the weekends I do it in the morning or early afternoon to get it out of the way but I do lots of it then. In the week I force it in at around 8pm. I hate formally structured exercise, loathe and detest it but I feel so good afterwards. I do as much non formal stuff as possible to make up for it.

Make a promise to yourself of X times per week for a frotnight, just do it and see how you get on.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #7  

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and Doughnut you are right on the beam. I don't like to exercise so it's hard to make myself. But, I think I will try to get a little more in on the weekends and try some of that unstructured stuff during the week. I guess I could walk at the mall at lunch time (it's only 5 minutes from my work) and I do have 3lb. dumb bells I could keep in the living room and try using while I'm watching TV. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks Again!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

The other thing is that once you start exercising regularly, you'll feel less tired.

If you walk in the mall, be sure you're walking and not strolling and window shopping! Maybe with spring coming, maybe you could walk outside on your lunch hour?
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
The other thing is that once you start exercising regularly, you'll feel less tired.
That's exactly what I was going to say Plus the more you exercise the more you'll want to do in other things, well that's the way I am... when I run in the morning I come back and have loads of energy to continue the day, this is why I rarely exercise after 8PM because I'll be up till all hours, it gives me TONS of energy... I'm 50 also and very proud of it
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Yeah took the words out of my mouth too.

I was very low energy before I started exercising daily. People tell you you'll me less tired and its hard to really believe it but it is totally true.

The hard part is starting. For me it has become part of my daily routine. No choice I just do it like brushing my teeth or bathing. Just do what needs to be done.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 AM   #11  

Height: 5'6

148.6 (I succomed to checking the scale again--at least it is my friend today)! Another thing you guys didn't mention about exercise is that it keeps your resistance up. I am prone to catching any cold or virus I am around...only if I'm not exercising regularly. When I am, I only get sick 1-2x/year like normal people!
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #12  

If it's any consolation - don't assume your feelings of tiredness are completely due to age. A lot of people get that massive energy drain after a long day at work, especially if your job involves a lot of commuting (don't know if this applies, but for me it is). Anyway, I always felt so sluggish on the train home... completely knackered and the last thing I felt like was hauling my big arse over to the gym... I'll be honest. The first month was HARD.

But it has gotten SO much easier! I have stacks more energy and I go every day and mostly enjoy it. My day never feels complete now without exercise. Ok sure, sometimes I am still tired in the evenings... but sitting at home on the couch won't give me any more energy, at least after the gym I'll be perked up! And on the extremely rare occasion that I still feel tired afterwards, at least I'm feeling tired because I've done something good for myself.

This doesn't really address what you asked, but just thought it was worth mentioning that some people find it helps if they just force themselves through the first few weeks, break the tiredness barrier and then find they have a lot more energy.

Alternatively, maybe you prefer to get a morning workout in? Mine are about 50/50 evening/morning... the advantage is you feel good the rest of the day that you've been productive so early in the day, you're more in the mood to stay OP food-wise and it certainly wakes you up!
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #13  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi, abbyin!

Check out exactly how much sleep you're getting. That's the first, best, place to start when building energy and stamina. There are newer guidelines lately from studies that suggest older studies gave too little hours for most people. We sometimes don't realize that with added responsibilities we have gradually shortened our sleep-time over a period of years, thinking we were handling it fine, but then we inaccurately compare with our younger selves, who were probably sleeping longer. Also, it takes more than just one night to get over being sleep deprived. We can't just "sleep in" one morning a week and presume to be starting with a clean slate, as so many folks do. Enough sleep also helps us to be clear-headed.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I sure could have written this post myself!!! Ok, I'm not 51 (I'm 44) but I sure get tired too. My typical day starts out at 4:50 AM when the alarm goes off (yes, I AM a morning person!!!). I shower, make lunches, read the paper, make breakfast, check email and 3FC, get dressed, take DS to school and then I'm off to work for at least 8 hours. After work, I am either involved with driving DS to and from Karate or driving myself to a meeting or running errands. Once home (anywhere between 5 and 8:30 depending on the day), I check the mail, fix dinner and we eat at 7 PM (on meeting days, DS usually gets dinner for him and the kids). Then clean up, do dishes and then I practically crash on the couch! I fell asleep last night before 8 PM! After that little nap, I didn't want to get up. I was in bed by 9:30 so I could do it all over again today. Seven hours of sleep is usually sufficient for me and I actually wake up before my alarm goes off. I do sleep in a bit on the weekends.

During the entire month of January, I was getting up half an hour early so I could exercise (5 days a week). I didn't seem to reap any reward and I got bored with it. I'm still mulling over getting a gym membership, but I have this problem that once I'm home after work, I don't like to go out again.

I've been reading the thread about exercise, how do you fit it all in (or something like that) with hopes of getting inspiration, but nothing seems to inspire me at this point. I KNOW I need to exercise, and I don't loathe it, I just can't get myself motivated to do it.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #15  

Just wanted to let everyone know that I DID go to the mall and walk at lunch today . I didn't really want to and I tried my hardest to talk my self out of it but then I told my self "Just Do It!". So I did it and I feel proud of myself . Hopefully this can be the start of a new habit. At least I can try to do a little something each day.

Oh, by the way, I do get enough sleep (7-8 hrs. a night). Maybe instead of being tired, I'm just lazy. I will try to do better though. Allison, maybe you can try to work something in at lunch too.

Everyone have a great day!