Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #1  

Default Different Scales... Different Weights??

So here's a conundrum for you all - I'm wondering if this has happened to others as well?

At home I weigh more than I do anyplace else. I, of course, choose to claim the lowest weight I've seen on a scale as my own but here's the deal:

Last week at the accupuncturist: 145 (I didn't get a reading this week b/c I didn't have to change and wasn't exactly sure how I would tell him I've been weighing myself there without clothes on LOL)

This morning, naked before showering, at home: 149
This morning, clothed at the doctor's office: 143

Obviously, I didn't lose six pounds while driving over there!

I know I went down from last week - so I'm thinking that both places have more correct scales than my own... Anyone have a great scale to recommend? I thought I had purchased a good one!
YuppieGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ask your doctor if his scale has been calibrated recently. Is it one of those "old fashioned" ones where you move the bar up and down til the other bar is balanced? If calibrated correctly, that is your best reading. It could be that your scale isn't calibrated and therefore giving you bad information, but if it's a regular bathroom scale, I don't know how that could be calibrated.

Also take into consideration other stuff when weighing. Are you "empty" or did you just drink 2 cups of coffee or did you just eat something. Are you clothed? All of these things will change a reading.

personally, I only go by my own scale. It is the only one that I have regular "appointments" with. I only go to the doctor once a year, so that is no help. If I had a gym, they might have a scale that I could use, but I prefer my first thing in the morning weigh-in at home.

Here is an excellent thread on the trials and tribulations of weighing in more than once per day:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51927
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:15 PM   #3  
Just Do It!

take an average of the three scales!
chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM   #4  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Find someone - a friend - who "knows" how much they weigh. Ask them to weigh themselves on your scale and see what they think.

Just because a scale is in a doctor's office doesn't mean it's accurate. Another question for your doctor's staff is whether others have mentioned thinking the scale is wrong, or whether it goes along with all the staff's home scales.

That big a difference does sound like you may need another scale. In my experience for home scales, the less high-tech the better. Don't bother with one that has a body-fat component - they are notoriously inaccurate. And if you do find out your scale is wrong, seems like it's wrong in your favor - you may weigh quite a bit less than you thought!
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #5  

Thank you!!! It felt weird, like I had entered some bizzare diet zone, where one place I was significantly lighter than the other. Technically the doctor's scale today should have been the most - I had on jeans and everything, while my at home reading is after peeing - nekkid LOL.

I do weigh at the accupuncturist b/c I go in once/week and my scale says one thing one day, and the next day says ten pounds different - in either direction. I just don't feel as though it's possible. Sometimes my scale says up one pound when I drop a 1/2" too. Maybe it's just time for new batteries. Now that I think about it that would be hilarious if that were the situation!

Allison : What an awesome discussion on weighing! That actually makes a lot of sense! Though I'm beginning to think that their scales are better calibrated (and on flatter surfaces) than my own, which may be causing the problem as well. Thanks for the internal link!!

Last edited by YuppieGirlie; 03-22-2007 at 10:18 PM.
YuppieGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #6  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

i have the same problem, which is why i only weigh on my own scale.
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Default cheaper scales more inaccurate?

We have 2 scales. I bought one, DH the other. I weight 3-7 lbs more on his scale than on mine. His is about $50 cheaper and has a pointer on it. Mine is digital. My weight on my scale is about 1-2 lbs over/under what I weigh on my client's scale where I'm staying right now.

I would just pick one scale and go by that weight. At least it will be consistent. And yes, the batteries do make a difference. I gained 26 lbs over one week last January - new batteries corrected it .

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote