Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 168.5/167.5/140

Height: 5' 1"

Default DDR -pros and cons

The last few months or so I've been debating on buying DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) as a way to get me moving and to help me get into shape. And I was wondering if anyone here has played it and if so what are your thoughts? Is is worth the money?
Dawnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I used to have a home version of the game (the arcade can get expensive). It was a lot of fun, although I don't recall really losing weight with it. However, it was time spent in front of the tv being active, rather than time spent in front of the tv sitting and snacking. There are some inexpensive versions out there. Because I'm a dork and think that the game is fun, my opinion would be that you try it out (of course do the research to find something not too expensive). I didn't have a playstation or anything like that, but the game I had plugs directly into the tv or computer; sorry I don't remember the name of the particular game I had.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:08 PM   #3  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

OH YEAH I asked for it for valentines day and I LOVE it it gets my whole family moving i asked for the more expensive pad love it also i have a hard time working out i just dont want to so yeah i do my DDR at least 4x's a week
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 PM   #4  
Looking forward

Height: 5' 6''

If you already have one of the game systems you can find the game and the cheaper plastic pads on amazon or ebay for way cheaper than in a store. I have it, but I have been procrastinating, so it's my own fault I have no advice to offer as to whether it worked for me, but I have read a lot of success stories that say it does. And it is fun.
Jade235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I have the plug & play version that Goodbye Chubby mentions. I don't use it a ton, but it's fun and, as she said, you're at least being active instead of vegging in front of the TV.

It depends on what you want, though - the plug & play has pretty cheezy graphics & music, which really bug some people - so you might want to consider a better/more expensive version. I was just looking for a little fun here & there, so the $35 set was awesome for me.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/130/125

Height: 5' 8"

Buy used.

I use my DDR occassionally, though never as a workout. I don't know if I've lost any weight, but if you normally would be sitting, watching TV...it can't hurt!
kelema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #7  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Since I only play DDR at arcades, the obvious con is that I easily spend $10-15 a month playing it (not to mention another few bucks playing other games during my "down time"). And the arcade mixes don't update that frequently, so even with 300+ songs to choose from one will eventually get bored with it.

The pro, asides from the vigorous workout, is probably being able to pick up beats and music rhythms, which I guess can make you a better dancer -- as long as you're not trying to step on pretend arrows in a club.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote