Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/139/115

Height: 5'2"

Red face First time poster

I too have been cruising this site for about a week, and finally decided to really just put myself out there, kind of like that ice-breaker called "Trust" where you just lean back and fall into your partners arms.....so here I go....

I'm looking to learn some great life habits out of this experience. As a child and throughout highschool I was always slightly underweight. In college, I had the luxury of being on the move all day, walking from class to class, and not having a ton of time to sit down and stuff my face! Then I graduated and started a 9-5 office job where I sit on my butt all day, with the occasional "exercise" of walking to various places i.e. the bathroom, copier, fax machine, etc. I also met an INCREDIBLE man (whom I just married this past August!!!) who is an excellent cook. Mixed blessing!! haha. Suddenly I went from a girl who could eat anything and never see it on her body, to a girl who by society's standards is considered almost overweight.

I'm about 5' 2", and have been bouncing around 140lbs for a little while now. While I felt fabulous in my wedding dress (thank goodness! ), I don't feel as fabulous in my body on a general basis. I've exercised on and off for a few years, but always find some excuse to loose motivation after a while. I consider myself to be a very good eater; I love everything on the food pyramid, drink water like it's goin' out of style, and am quite content with a well rounded meal.

It's time for a change though, and as of just before Christmas, I joined the gym at my work. I was a little apprehensive about not having a separation between my work and my gym time, but it has proven to have been a wonderful decision! We meet five days a week with a really great trainer who really knows here stuff. Classes are about 45-50 minutes long, ending with an ab workout every other day. These classes are INTENSE. For someone who never really sweats, I can tell it's working because I often have to wipe my forehead with a towel (how exciting!) And the best part is that every class is different, even if only the same idea with just different techniques. I am LOVING it! I've also decided along with my husband to start a running program I found on Cool Running.com. It's designed for beginning runners who want to ease into the program.

I'm also just really thinking about what I eat. Trying to make conscious decisions about what goes into my mouth, and allowing myself to have treats, but realizing that they are just that, treats. Rewards.

I've joined this site because I have a tendency to start a routine and eventually get bored with it. I'm looking for that extra push of motivation. I'm looking to be accountable for my actions. I'm looking for the support of others out there who are looking for the same motivation. And I thank you for giving me the chance to do just that! I look forward to meeting you!!

Last edited by sarahb720; 01-22-2007 at 03:22 PM.
sarahb720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome! Please come join us in our weekly thread.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102611
Post and read often.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 149/144/125

Hi and welcome! I just joined this board too, and some of your story sounds similar to mine - especially the part with the husband who can cook. Did you find that you began to eat like him too - same portions, etc.? I ate so much less when I was single!

Anyway, welcome again!
thistimeforreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/139/115

Height: 5'2"

Hello to all of you and thanks for the welcomes!!

thistimeforreal: OH MY GOSH YES!!! My husband thinks he's being generous by giving equal portions on the plates, and of course I don't turn it down because the food is soooo good!! But my husband does construction (metal framing and drywall), and I have an office sales job....he burns waaaay more calories a day than me, and should be eating waaay more calories also! We still haven't quite gotten the hang of it, him filling my plate less without feeling like he's depriving me, and me actually saying NO I don't NEED to eat this much! Have you done anything differently to help you with this?
sarahb720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/147/130

Height: 5'4

Thumbs up Welcome! I'm new, too:)

Hi there. I have been looking for a great site for weight loss support and I found this place. I love the name, "3 fat chicks on a diet!". I think it is good to have a sense of humor about things

Congratulations on your marriage. I gained 20lbs in the first three years of my marriage. My hubby and I became too comfortable and lazy about food. Now, we are both on WW, but I still like the support of other women.

Keep up the good work!!

~jblossom

jblossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 149/144/125

SarahB: sorry for the delayed reply! No, I didn't really deliberately do anything different, but now that we have kids we just don't have the same elaborate dinners we used to! Also, I'm home right now so I do more of the cooking. If I were doing the first years of our marriage over again, I'd just make sure my portions were much smaller! I doubt your husband will be offended by that, as long as you have some of everything he makes.

Jblossom: Yes, it's not always just us that gains the weight is it? My husband steadily gained weight into our married life as he started to give up some of his athletic activities and eat more "family" meals. Mine isn't on a diet right now, but I know he appreciates when I cook healthier meals. (Of course, if he were actively dieting, he'd drop the pounds so quickly - and then I'd just feel jealous!)
thistimeforreal is offline   Reply With Quote