3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Fat Smash Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fat-smash-diet-211/)
-   -   You aren't a Fat Smasher until... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fat-smash-diet/93005-you-arent-fat-smasher-until.html)

Suzanne 3FC 09-04-2006 12:42 AM

You aren't a Fat Smasher until...

I was talking to a good friend last week that seemed interested in the Fat Smash diet after I explained it to her and described how much I (and you) liked it. She bought the book, went to the store and bought brown rice, oatmeal, fruits and veggies and geared up to start the diet. A few days later, I asked her how it was going, and she said not good. She said that the diet had made her sick, so she didn't think she was going to do it. I was curious and surprised, so I prodded her for more info. The first day of her new diet, she got up late and didn't have time to cook oatmeal. She then didn't have time to cook rice and it had not occurred to her to cook it the night before. She ended up packing some yogurt and bananas and took them to work with her, and that's all she had to eat. By mid-afternoon, she was feeling light-headed. She blamed the Fat Smash diet and immediately went back to her old routine. I proceeded to explain that the Fat Smash diet was not to blame because she was never on the Fat Smash diet. You have to read the book and eat the recommended foods, even if you don't eat the full amounts - you still need something from each food group or you deprive your body of proper nutrition. It is a very flexible plan, but the basics should not be ignored.

I'm mentioning this because we all probably know someone that may want to try this diet, but may feel that they can skimp on some of the foods because they don't like them. They are there for a reason, and balanced nutrition is very important for us all along the path to weight loss. We need whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and dairy. Please make sure that you all follow the guidelines. Let's encourage each other to stay on the path :) Hopefully we can share a lot of tips with each other for making the foods taste better, and perhaps some reasonable tweaking, so we'll all be successful with this diet plan :)

ShoreChick 09-04-2006 02:37 AM

So true-I think planning & some open-mindedness help big time on this plan. I never had black beans before in my life & now I really have come to like them a LOT. Same thing for certain types of fruits-mangos & fresh pineapple have replaced chips & pretzles for my late night snacks. Yeah I miss the salt but the rewards are well worth the sacrifice. I make sure my fridge is stocked with everything I need for each phase I am in at the moment, and so far, I really have yet to feel truly "hungry", because I feel like I am eating all the time. I have one more day on phase 1, and I am so psyched for Tuesday when I can enjoy a nice 4 oz piece of CHICKEN!!!!! I have never seen such great results so fast on any diet I have ever tried. Personally, I think it's worth a shot for anyone who is seriously ready to give it a go!

Yogini 09-04-2006 02:42 AM

I am going to check this plan out. It sounds like it's a healthy whole foods diet that could easily be used by those who eat plant-based diets.

bigteetee 09-05-2006 10:28 AM

Hi anyeveryone
I started the Fat Smash diet on Aug 26th and so far lost 8 lbs. This diet for me is easy to follow. It really helped me to eat beans everyday to curve my need for meats.

DesertRose 09-12-2006 05:57 PM

Tweeks

Two things I am concerned about. The coffee and tea thing that others have written about on the boards. It does seem strange that you give them up only to be allowed them 9 days later. Also, if herb tea is OK, what about decaf coffee? I do know there is supposed to still be some caffeine in the decaf, but the book is so skimpy that it would be great to get some answers.

Also, this plan appealed to me because it is very plant based. I don't eat meat so will have to subsitute non meat items once the 9 days is up.

Also -- has anyone asked if soy yogurt fills the same requirement. Otherwise, this plan is so very close to what I was looking for that I am giving it a try.

ShoreChick 09-12-2006 09:15 PM

The book says soy milk is ok, so I would imagine the same goes for soy yogurt:?:
Just guessing tho....

Loulee 09-19-2006 07:44 PM

Ok today is the last day of phase I and I'm anxious about stepping on the scale tomorrow morning. I've actually enjoyed the Fat Smash diet so far and haven't missed the junk food one lick but I tend to react emotionally to what my scale says....

momofbg 09-20-2006 11:42 PM

Could someone please tell me a little about this diet?

Jen415 09-21-2006 12:22 PM

Go here for some Fat Smash Diet info: www.fatsmashdiet.com

Ottoette 09-27-2006 03:21 PM

There's no info on the fatsmashdiet.com site, just "philosophy" and ads - any clues as to what the diet entails? I know it's 4 phases and totals 90 days and that's it.
Thank!

brandilynn24 09-27-2006 09:12 PM

Hey LouLee...Congrats on making it through the toughest part!! Dont stress it's just a number! I am always on the scale and it drives me nuts. Well I didnt go to the bathroom yet, ok get back on..well my scale could be off...ok lets do the average of 3 weigh in's. Today I finally took the batteries out and I refuse to get back on for a full week.

Loulee 09-27-2006 10:06 PM

Good for you Brandilynn! I didn't think to take the battery out. Great idea!
Loulee

jenne1017 09-30-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ottoette (Post 1420192)
There's no info on the fatsmashdiet.com site, just "philosophy" and ads - any clues as to what the diet entails? I know it's 4 phases and totals 90 days and that's it.
Thank!

Basically, for 9 days you eat fruits, veggies, brown rice, yogurt, protein in the form of tofu, beans etc -- no meats, white potatoes, white rices, no fish. And only water. After 9 days, you reintroduce your body to some of the leaner fish and meats. Couple it with 30 mins of excerise in the frist phase and bump it up in Phase 2 (to make up for the higher caloric intake). Then you get into Phases 3 and 4. You really should read the book before starting though! I am NO expert!

I like the idea of this diet because, when I did South Beach, I went through sugar withdrawl and fruit withdrawl HARDCORE. I just got a new coffeemaker for the wedding so I am a bit bummed but in 9 days, I can use it for the first time!

mojo9545 11-05-2006 08:54 AM

I did the fat smashers diet phase 1 about a month ago and did better than I expected. I lost 8 lbs. I wasn't hungry and didn't crave snacks. My biggest thing was at night. So I saved a yogurt and had it at night. Also, If I wanted the crunch I ate raw carrots, cucumbers. That got me through. I started out on phase 2 well but fell off the wagon. So tomorrow I'll jump back on and this time I'll know that I can do it. It's a lifestyle change not a DIET!!!!!!!!!!

codymama 12-11-2006 08:53 PM

I did the Fat Smash diet for about two weeks and then came Thanksgiving... It worked very well, even though I didn't follow it to the letter. I'm starting again tommorrow.

FitTobeBridal 01-17-2007 01:45 PM

I started Fat Smash on Sat. December 30th and maintained the 9 day detox for an additional 6 days for a total of 15 days and lost 10 pounds plus...

I'm currently in Phase 2 and I've already lost an additional 2 pounds in only 3 days.

I've been following the diet strictly and avoiding all temptation from any of the forbidden foods...

I've actually gotten used to not eating meat and cheese, so I only have some maybe once or twice a week and other days I'm eating a modified veggie meal with brown rice and picking up protein from lentils and beans.

sgregg 01-17-2007 03:28 PM

Way to go, FitTobe!!!!

cms0354 01-17-2007 07:32 PM

Fat Smash Phases

Here is some information on Phase 1 and the following Phases:

Phase One: Detox
The nine-day first phase of the diet is a time when you eat primarily fruits and vegetables, to allow your body to cleanse itself of impurities and toxins. The focus on raw or lightly cooked (steamed or grilled) vegetables and fruits also allows your body to make use of the abundant vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that are present in these most natural of foods. During this phase, you establish the habit of eating four to five small meals daily at three-hour intervals. While the menu for meals is rather limited, there is no restriction on how much you eat -- though overeating is
discouraged. A 20- to 25-minute walk after dinner (or some other light exercise) is recommended, or 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise five times per week..

Allowed Foods

all fruit
all vegetables except white potatoes and avocadoes
tofu
dried beans (e.g., chickpeas, lentils)
brown rice
oatmeal
limited skim or soy milk
herbs and spices
low-fat yogurt (no more than 12 oz. daily)
up to 4 egg whites daily
herbal tea
unlimited water

Phase Two: Foundation
The three-week second phase continues the building of good habits while introducing additional foods and increasing physical activity. You continue to eat four to five small meals at three-hour intervals, and you try to maintain a high intake of fruits and vegetables. Skipping meals is not permitted, and fried foods are discouraged. Physical exercise is increased by 10 to 15%.

"New" Allowed Foods

one-half an avocado per day is allowed in this phase, but white potatoes are still forbidden
3 to 4 ounces of meat or seafood daily
1 whole egg
1 ounce of cheese
1 1/2 cups of certain cold cereals (e.g., shredded wheat, Total, Chex)
1/2 cup of certain hot cereals (e.g., oatmeal, farina)
up to 4 teaspoons of sugar or artificial sweetener
up to 2 teaspoons of salt, and unlimited quantities of herbs and spices
2 teaspoons of peanut butter
2 cans of diet soda
10 ounces of coffee
8 ounces of fresh-squeezed fruit juice

Phase Three: Construction
Phase three of the Smash Diet adds still more foods to the allowed list, and increases physical activity yet further. You must eat at least four times per day, and you should continue eating ample quantities of fruits and vegetables. The list of allowed foods both adds new foods and increases allowed portions of other foods. The good news is you can now add a non-fruit dessert once a day. Exercise should be increased by 25%.

"New" Allowed Foods

you can now drink up to 16 ounces of fresh-squeezed fruit juice
meat servings increase to 5 ounces (seafood stays at 3 ounces)
two whole eggs
up to 3 cups of skim or soy milk
1 cup of whole wheat pasta
4 thin slices of whole grain bread
3 chocolate chip cookies
2 oatmeal raisin cookies
1 scoop low-fat ice cream

Phase Four: The Temple
This final phase of The Fat Smash Diet is equivalent to the maintenance phase of most other diets. In this phase, most previously forbidden foods are allowed (albeit in limited quantities), and physical activity is increased to one hour five times per week. At this point, if you have not reached your goal weight, you can repeat the sequence of phases as many times as you wish until you have achieved your goal.

Don't Skip the Appendices!
In addition to 83 pages of recipes and menu ideas, the book has four appendices, each of which contains very useful information:

Appendix 1: a body mass index chart which helps you determine a healthy and reasonable weight goal.
Appendix 2: three pages listing the fiber content of a number of common foods, designed to help you increase your dietary fiber intake.
Appendix 3: information on how to read a food nutrition label
Appendix 4: calorie expenditure charts for several common exercise programs and physical activities.
Evaluation
The Fat Smash Diet is a simple, manageable approach to weight loss. Unlike many fad diets, it's also a healthful weight loss program, with its emphasis on fruits and vegetables and reasonable amounts of exercise.

cms0354 01-17-2007 07:34 PM

I was interested in this diet - a friend went on it last year and did well. I was channel surfing today and caught the Tyra Banks show and had the doctor who wrote the book on the show.......I was impressed.

aspiringyp 01-18-2007 05:31 PM

Ian was on tyra yesterday and had me sold! As soon as it was over I went out to the bookstore and bought the book!! Im on day one and so far so good! So obviously I to was truly impressed!

maryblu 03-20-2007 07:52 PM

Hey, y'all. My first post except for my intro. I am on Day 2 of Fat Smash Phase I and LOVING it! I don't even have the book yet, am simply following what I learned from the 3FC book review. Many thanks for that, ladies, 'cuz I had passed this book by many times. I have read them all, but thought this one looked totally faddish. Here's the kicker: I lost 3 pounds overnight! Yes, it was all water, but the point is, I was really holding it in ugly places. Thanks for a new and seemingly healthy plan...can't wait to get the book.

vanity0326 04-14-2007 12:18 AM

Read the book. Ready to implement the

modifications in my eating and exercising habits.

Tomorrow is day one of Fat Smash Detox.

I am loaded up with vegetables, brown rice and black beans.

tttellier 05-24-2007 10:55 PM

Got sick too

I just began the diet 7 days ago. I have been following it exactly. The first two days, I felt very weak and feverish. However, by the third day my body must have adjusted to fewer calories and began feeling fine. I have added iron supplements to my daily vitamin to help with energy. I am very happy to say I have lost 8 pounds in 7 days!!

journey2008 07-15-2007 08:10 PM

those seeking more info check out

fatsmashforum.com

raheemsmom 07-28-2007 03:30 PM

I am now in phase two and, in a way, missing phase one. I did not miss not having meat plus I love fruits and vegatables. This way of eating was different from my last one (atkins). I lost more weight over the nine days than I have in a long time. I probably would have lost even more if I had exercised. I dont really want to move on to phase two, but I know that I need to additions in phase two to maintain and be healthy. I say stick with it. I am planning to go into gym for real during this phase.

Beca 08-20-2007 04:13 PM

Hi all-I'm new to the site and just bought the book. I am on my first day of phase 1 and have a question about soups...is it possible to have lentil soup or canned beans?

fitchick13 09-26-2007 09:55 AM

This almost happened to me! I was SOOO discouraged after the second day - but it was because of me, not a flaw in the diet. the 3rd day, i had much more balance, much more protein.

fitchick13 09-26-2007 09:56 AM

I think you can have canned beans, soup I'm not so sure. However, just be careful about the sodium content, and drain them if you can :)

fitchick13 09-26-2007 09:57 AM

Yes, my sis and mom have lost much less on phase 2, but your exercising should give your weight lost the extra boost it needs! i'm still in phase one though, and i like it :) did you do the skim milk and yogurt?

janjan37 01-10-2008 11:03 AM

I started the fast smash diet wed,Jan 8th and I feel really good about it I really enjoy reading everyones post and I really think this isthe way for me to go of course I'm only on day 2 of phase 1,but so far for breakfast I had a protein shake that I made that consists of 8 oz.orange juice,1/3 oz. of egg whites=2 eggs,1 banana,2 tbsp.benefiber,and ice cubes and that was at 8:00 a.m. and surprisingly I'm not hungry . anyway I'm new here so hello! everyone

jillnicole03 02-15-2008 03:06 PM

I LOVE this diet so far, I'm on day 3 and even with temptations I'm having no problem. I even got my book at my local library! So I didn't even have to pay for it!

I previously followed weight watchers which I liked but I found myself always thinking of food... making sure I always ate every last point. Now I don't have to count anything it's just healthier eating, which makes you feel proud of yourself! :)

Good luck everyone!!

Barbie Girl 09-03-2008 07:33 AM

Fat Smash Diet

I am on day nine of the detox phase. I really like this new healthy eating plan. I haven't felt hungry at all on this plan. I haven't weighed in as of yet. i am waiting until tomorrow morning for that. That is my hardest part, staying off thw scale. The numbers always seem to get me down. I am taking a new approach and telling myself I can only weigh in once after each phase (1-3) is complete. I enjoy reading all of the stories of peoples success and questions on here. It really helps me to see other people are doing this too.

ducky0224 09-25-2008 12:37 PM

wow, sounds interesting. I think I am going to go buy the book right now. Why not? sounds like a good way to get into the lifestyle change I need, and I miss some of the foods that are on there, that I have cut out, mostly the carb based stuff. I am glad I found this thread, thanks guys!

Amanda S 10-20-2008 03:40 PM

How does soy based "meats" work into the diet? Can I have them in phase 1? Today is day one of phase one for me and also first day of the rest of my skinny life!

myrna 01-19-2009 03:50 PM

Today is day one of phase one for me too!

MaryEllen 01-19-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda S (Post 2417201)
How does soy based "meats" work into the diet? Can I have them in phase 1? Today is day one of phase one for me and also first day of the rest of my skinny life!

It says you can have soy, so it should be fine.

That's the only bad thing about this diet, sometimes it can be kind of vague. It's alright though, because it gives you a little leeway and it's still promoting a totally different way of eating.

RLandis 02-06-2009 10:38 PM

Greetings from the Newest Newbie

Hi,
I'm just finishing D2, P1....no trouble so far at all. I don't think I've seen another male on this forum, so I hope you don't think I'm an intruder. I'm starting this diet at 280 lbs, and want to get to 170 lbs. It seems like an insurmountable task, but I'm hoping it will be made easier by being in a group like this.

I do have one question, especially for those who have already lost a lot of weight. After P4, with quite a bit of weight to lose, do you stay on P4, or go back to an earlier P?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Richard:carrot:

MaryEllen 02-07-2009 12:23 AM

There's a few other guys lurking about, no worries! :)

I think that would be up to your own judgement. Dr. Ian says if you plateau, go back to P1 or P2 til you lose the weight, stay on for one extra day, then jump back to P4. It's all about how you feel though, ultimately.

capelover11 01-17-2010 11:39 AM

I'm so excited about this diet!!! I'm on the 7th day of Phase one and feeling great!!!

heatherirene19 01-18-2010 01:08 PM

Hello all,
I did the FatSmash 3 years ago and lost close to 40 pounds, unfortunately life happened and I slowly went back to my old eating habits. I am considering going back on the Fat Smash because it really is about learning how to eat well. The sellingpoint for me was that I emailed Dr. Ian Smith after he was on my favorite radio show, and he got back to me within a day. I was ablet o keep in contact with him and was very motivated through this. Skeptical at first that it may have just been an assistant I asked him specific questions that pertained to the people he met on this radio show and he answered them, proving to me that it was realyl him. He is now campaigning a program called the 1 million pound challenge which has been interesting to read.
Good luck all, I hope I can get back in the groove.