Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 PM   #1  

Default food for thought when dieting

i just want to give everyone on here a food for thought...and i dont want anyone to worry too much about this but do understand it...

i had to be taken to the hospital yesterday due to gall bladder stones...why did they produce?...what happened?...

well...after doing some research...gall bladder stones are pretty much created because of foods high in fat....so all the junk i have eaten the past 2.5 years or so has pretty much caused all these stones to gradually be created...why now?...

well...the other thing i found was that it is usually caused by rapid weight loss due to "crash diets"...now the fat smash diet isnt really a crash diet...so thats the upside...however it did cause me to drop a lot of weight...in about a month and a half i dropped about 25-30 pounds...overall i have lost about 40 pounds...what happens is, your body starts trying to secrete the excess cholesterol from your system...it dumps that excess into your gall bladder...the cholesterol forms into stones as well...so in my case what may have happened is that the rapid weight loss probably caused the stones to produce a little quicker...too quick to the point where it caused a stone to block a duct that passes bile....which in turn caused the tremendous and over bearing pain i had yesterday that got me in a hospital...

to make it even more weird...im 25...and male....gall bladder stones are way more common in women then in males...i cant recall but i think i read something that said it wasnt common in the younger crowd either...

soooo just be catious of how you eat...and how quickly you drop weight...it can have an adverse effect unfortunately....i am assuming most people on this forum are women so i just wanted to throw it out there...

the upside to this is...you can live without your gall bladder...so it can be removed without having any negative effects to yoru body...yoru liver produces bile, just not as much and uses more of a drip effect then what the gall bladder does...the gall bladder produces bile to breakdown the high fatty foods in the amounts it sees necessary depending on the amounts of fatty foods...so if its removed...it just means you have to be extra cautious about the foods you do eat...

if anyone has any info on this by all means please chime in....i dont wish that pain upon ANYONE....i was pretty much curled up in a ball...nothing helped...i could barely move...i could barely talk..i could barely breathe...it was scary to say the least...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/187/144

Height: 5.5

Sorry to hear about your hospital visit. SO did you have to get your gall bladder taken out? My cousin has some gall stones, but it wasn't due to weight loss...and i remember her saying it was very painful.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 PM   #3  

i saw a surgeon today....after his consultation...my brother's (hes a radiologist) and his general surgeon friends (one of them being a chief resident)....the consensus is to take it out and not worry about it ever again....so i plan on it.....going to have to set a date and go from there....
Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 PM   #4  

oh...and as for the pain....well...im traumatized honestly...i dont ever want to feel that kind of pain in my life if i have the choice...i have a relatively high threshold of pain....and this had me practically bawling like a 2 year old....
Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 AM   #5  

I pray that you feel better, and have a speedy recovery! Thanks for the caveat.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #6  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

One of the best things that ever happened to me was having my gallbladder taken out. I, like many people. Still have the same pains from time to time and I have to be carefully what I eat. To much fat and it hurts like I never had the darn thing taken out BUT since I don't eat all that fat anymore haven't had the pains in forever. You will be glad once it is gone. I do understand what you mean about the pain. I had both of my children naturally and never felt a pain like the gallbladder attacks.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:01 PM   #7  

damn...i never wanted to compare that pain with what a woman went through during birth...but now that you say that...holy crap...i guess it was legitimate pain...

so how does that pain show up after the gall bladder is removed?...define too much of fatty foods though?...is it like a burger?....or like an all out pizza pie fest with a bunch of other crap in one sitting?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #8  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Itg
I would have to say the gallbladder pain was just as bad as labor. Unless someone has had the pains of a bad gallbladder they have no idea how bad it really is. You know the pain I am talking about. Not wanting to breath because it hurts so bad. It isn't really eating a fatty dinner. You can have your pizza lol. It is more having a lot of fat in a week. I wouldn't eat at Mac Donald's everyday for a week lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 09-27-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #9  

yeeeaaa that was the pain..i definitely know it.....lol.....and like i said previously...i am traumatized by that pain right now...i dont ever want to feel that pain again if i can avoid it...

ok as for the food....wooo thats a relief...i wont be eating like that...but once in a while like once a week or every other week i like to have a meal that breaks away from my health routine...thats good to hear...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #10  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I had a gallbladder attack about 3.5 years ago, and that is what stopped me from eatting fatty foods, and I switched over to a more "clean" way of eatting but I didnt have to have my gallbladder removed. They wanted to remove it but I figure what is the point when all I have to do is eat normal and I dont have to worry about the attacks. The pain is severe but i would have to say having my children was a FAR differnent, more excruciating pain, at least when I had the gall bladder attack demerol actually HELPED! haha.

I just wanted to comment to let you know that I am 26 year old female, and this was when I was 22, I have not had a gallbladder attack since I have kept my diet under control. So you dont HAVE to get it removed. I would say if you change your lifestyle and you still have pain, yes get it removed but poeple live with gallstones all the time, most dont even know they have them