Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 03:05 PM   #61  

Default Our Daily Bread Devotional for April 2, 2005

April 2, 2005

The Children's Friend

Read:
Matthew 19:13-15

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven." —Matthew 19:14

Bible In One Year: 1 Samuel 25-28

Today, people around the globe will observe the 200th anniversary of the birth of the great storyteller Hans Christian Andersen. The lessons and encouragement contained in his tales of The Ugly Duckling, The Little Mermaid, and The Emperor's New Clothes are still considered a great gift to children everywhere.

I'm reminded, however, that Jesus Christ is the greatest friend of children the world has ever known. No one has done more for them than Jesus.

When Jesus' disciples reprimanded people for bringing little ones to Him, the Lord said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 19:14).

Jesus valued children as persons of worth. After His triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the Lord accepted the praise of children and reminded those who criticized them that God has ordained praise even "out of the mouths of babes and nursing infants" (Matthew 21:16; Psalm 8:2).

Companionship with the Savior is the privilege of everyone who trusts Him with the simple faith of a child. His loving arms and tender heart are ready to embrace every child who accepts Him. He willingly receives all who open their hearts to Him. He is the children's Friend. —David McCasland

O Jesus, You who once did say
To little children at their play,
"Come to Me, you will be blessed,"
So come to us and be our Guest. —Anon.

The Creator hides secrets from sages, yet He can be known by children.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #62  

Default Devotional for Dieters April 3, 2005

April 3

Ecclesiastes 3:1
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.

There are times in our lives when a diet may be easier than at other times. In times of stress or tragedy, it may be impossible for us to lose weight. Diets take concentration and commitment. Things may come up to cause us to fall away from our diets, but we need to get started again as soon as possible. Just because we fail once doesn't mean we will fail every time. Pray for God's help and guidance. He will be faithful to help us through the tough times and the times we fail. God will make our way easier through His companionship and comfort.
Today's thought: There is no better time to diet than right now!
Old 04-03-2005, 12:50 PM   #63  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Smile Sunday Morning

HI GALS

I hope everyone is having a great Sunday. I am waiting for a few minutes before the nephew and I go out and mow the grass, move some bricks around and do some weeding. We sprung forward here today so I don't want to wake the neighbors up too early
The nephew and I didn't make it to church today...fell bad as always about that! With the time change I just didn't have it in me....how's that for a terrible excuse!! Bigger even because the 10:30 service is still an hour and a half away as I type this.

Angie is at her mom's this week-end...had the house to my self yesterday...son was coaching his jumpers at an all day track meet, nephew was with his mom, step-d with Angie and my daughter was at her condo...too much homework.

My daughter has been invited to attend a huge week long conference in Nashville next month. Her school nominated her for her work and are going to pay for at least some of the expenses. I guess there will be alot of nutrition, physical exercise, medical things etc....I am not really sure what all is involved. Do you gals remember awhile back she was doing an internship with the NAVY? Anyway she contacted her old boss there to tell him her news and he said "GREAT, you can help me present OUR project!" I guess he is presenting the project that they were working on...something about force on neck muscles I think....She said she didn't feel qualified to answer any "hard" questions...he told her it didn't matter her name is co-authored on the project anyway...just answer what she can if asked and pass the ones she didn't know to him. Proud dad here

Had a full evening of basketball, pizza, beer and peace and quiet (oops! forgot about those noisey puppies!) last night! All was going well until Reba and Rylee brought in a 8'' blue bellied lizard to play with

SPROUT Thank you for the devotions and personal exercise reminders. I hope all is well with the DH, son, daughter and Koko.

MICHELE I LOVE the trick! That is definetly something that I would do...too bad she caught on. There is a radio station here that does prank calls set up by friends or family....the funniest one (sad for the guy) was where they pretended to be a new employee for a vet/groomer...called saying Fifi, a poodle of course, should be ready to pick up soon....the owner, a gay man and REALLY gay if you know what I mean...said fine and he would pick up Fifi after work like always...the groomer said fine and that she came through the surgery just fine....WHAT surgery?...well the NUTERED of course...WHAT!! HE IS A CHAMPION SHOW DOG, ETC...I WOULD NEVER EVER HAVE HIM NUTERED1 HE WAS IN THERE FOR HIS MONTHLY GROOMING....well this went on for several minutes back and forth...very funny...to me anyway. His buddies were just sick and tired of hearing about his dog! hummm, maybe I better shut up about Reba and Rylee ...oh heck, doesn't matter...they have already been taken care of. I hope the date with eric went well.

SUE Love the ABC's...so honest. Prayers again for your Pastor...so sad...I am posting a prayer request at the end of my post too. Great for you to be able to be involved with the neice and college picking. My step daughter is a year away and really has her heart set on NYU...second choice Norte Dame....no real reasons other than her dad took her to both campuses and she liked them...wants to live away from home to see if she can make it...we shall see. I did have bell bottoms, flaired pants and of course cords! wish I could send those pictures over the computer...you all would be laughing for days!! And boy oh boy did I have long hair.

SUNNY Love the van pictures. My dad always had white Ford vans for hauling the motorcycles he and my brothers raced. Yes it is pretty in our area...of course we are about 6 miles from the beach in a residential area that looks like EVERY residential area in America with "people of middle class means " There is really not one specific reason we want to try someplace else for awhile...we grew up here so for us...as much as we love it and apreciate it, it is the "same 'ol thing"...if you know what I mean...too be honest, as I have mentioned...we are not sure, by any stretch of the imagination, that we will love it where we are headed...just going to try. If we don't like it...hopefully we will be able to move right back here to our home. My daughter had another match on Friday... she lost her singles and doubles...a little bit of it was because she wasn't mentally ready in the singles match (this has to do with the prayer request at the end of the post) she pulled out of the funk and played well in doubles, it was just a better team from Maryland....her team still won 5-4...she just felt bad having 2 of the losses.

MKAY Great news on DH and his foot. Hope things stay good between you both.

WILMA Have a great week with the new job!

TEEL Praying for the right church for you.

SAMI, MNEWTON, MARGIE and anyone I missed...sorry come back and visit when you can.

The prayer request I have is for my daughter's boyfriend's father...his name is Dennis Markham...a few years back he had a rare form of cancer...he decided to do an experimental drug instead of chemo which would not cure him....all was well for a couple of years...cancer gone...now it is back in the bone marrow...he started chemo on Friday evening....it does not look good for him. Prayers for him please, also...a selfish prayer for me...my daughter, who loves Dennis..., is having a tough time with this too...plus her boyrfriend is the type that keeps "it all in and doesn't want to talk about it" my kiddo has to let it all out...this is causing a lot of un-needed confusion between them both....they both keep thinking "the other one is upset with them' when in reality they are both so saddened by this event. Cancer shows no favorites as we all know. Thanks in advance for your prayers.

Well off to do yard work...the sun is shining and it is gorgeous out there!

Gary
Old 04-03-2005, 12:55 PM   #64  

Default Our Daily Bread Devotional for April 3, 2005

April 3, 2005

Cobwebs

Read:
Romans 10:11-17

How shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard. —Romans 10:14

Bible In One Year: 1 Samuel 29-31

The story is told of a painter who was commissioned to portray a run-down church. But instead of an old, tottering ruin, he painted a magnificent edifice of modern design. Through the windows could be seen an ornate collection box for the gifts of the fashionable worshipers. Above it hung a sign bearing the inscription "For Missions." Sadly, the box was covered in cobwebs.

The church or the individual whose heart and life is not involved in the worldwide proclamation of the gospel is on the way to ruin. We may be engaged in feverish "Christian activity," but our energies are misdirected if the main thrust of God's program for this age goes unattended.

God has so designed His plan of world evangelization that every believer is to be vitally involved. We all should "pray the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest" (Matthew 9:38).

Some will also hear His personal call to be preachers—otherwise, "how shall they hear?" (Romans 10:14).

Still others will be givers and senders, for "how shall they preach unless they are sent?" (v.15).

Let there be no cobwebs over the cause of world missions because of our lack of concern. —Paul Van Gorder

Lord of harvest, send forth reapers,
Hear us, Lord, to Thee we cry;
Send them now the sheaves to gather,
Ere the harvest time pass by. —Thompson

Untold millions are perishing—untold.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 AM   #65  
Quit counting at 45!

Default Good Morning!

Did everyone have a good weekend? It was pretty quiet around here. The weather here has been beautiful and most of our snow is gone. Hopefully we won't get a late spring snow storm like we did last year. It is nice to see the bare earth again and hopefully soon GREEN GRASS!

We went freezer shopping on Saturday and found a good deal on one. We also found hardware for our cabinets. I've accented with black wrought iron and the handles are this also with a little rope detail on them. They look great on the doors. My cabinet guy is coming tonight to (Hopefully) finish the job. He just has a few doors to install as well as the crown molding and trim along the bottom. I'm excited to have it finished.

My weight isn't changing much these days. I think I have to exercise more or change something in my diet again.

Sue: My prayers are with you and your pastor. He must have incredible strength to keep going through this. Prayers that it isn't cancerous.

Gary: My prayers also for your friend. It seems so many people are suffering from this crazy disease.

You have every reason to be proud of your kids. That's quite an honor for your daughter!!

Sue: Nice van! I didn't realize Joe was using it for work.

Michele: Were you able to see Eric this weekend? It sounded like you both had a lot on the go.

Well, I should get ready for work. I'm in training now and don't know where I belong. I get trained, train my replacement, etc. It's so confusing!!
I'll be glad when I'm in one position only. I think I will enjoy the job and the others seem to be adjusting to the change. One month to go.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #66  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Red face Hi Wilma... our weekend was exhausting!

Okay people...

This picture is one I took earlier in the day -
when we had about 4 inches on the ground:

This one as you can clearly see (look at the base of the tree & branches!) that
we have gotten allot more! All together 15"

Look at my poor garden it was greening up!

*~*~*

We lost our electric for about 16 hours and had no sleep at all Saturday night (time change was rough on us both!) & it got so cold! We dug out our kerosine heater and lit that and it brought the temps in here up to 63* and held steady... thank goodness. And we have a gas stove, so no problems there - I was still able to cook meals, just lit the burners with a match instead. And we had our radio...

Joe had to be at church by 8:00 to direct (thank goodness for 4-wheel-drive!) and I couldn't leave the house with the heater lit, so I decided to go shovel snow for him, so he could get back into the driveway. I was outside for all of 10 minutes when my left foot sunk into the very wet and heavy snow and twisted! I shoved snow into my shoe & finished the job - took me about an hour. I didn't think it was all that bad of a sprain... well, guess what!?! I am wearing an air-cast for 10 days! It was bad! I was crawling on the floor last night... so off to the Dr's I went. It felt really bad last night, but it doesn't feel too bad this morning, wearing the air-cast. I even got in my exercise this morning - I just used the Elliptical instead of the T-Mill --- less stress on my feet.

Whew! Am I glad that this weekend is over!! I pray that the snow storms will be too! Today we have a clear, sunny, blue sky day! Beautiful!!

Okay... I am going to go grab a bite to eat and then
I WILL be back to post to all...

{{{Hugs}}}
SunnyD
<><

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 04-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #67  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Sunny~If you posted that on the 1st i would have thought it was a joke. Wow, 15" and no electricity. What a long night you must have had. And then your ankle....what are we going to do with you??! Those sprains can be worse than a break, so i will pray for speedy healing for you sweets. Kind of surprised too because we had such beautiful weather this weekend...sorry, didn't mean to rub it in.

I did see Eric this weekend. He called me sat. after i got home visiting my family friends, around 5 pm. His last golf-lesson postponed for Sunday so he asked if i had plans and ofcourse my only plan was to take a nap and watch cops and amw so he asked to take me to dinner! He wanted to go to the same place we met before which was fine with me, it's very nice and good food, close to my house. So i jumped in the bathtub, primped and felt really good about seeing him. He was so cute when i saw him, he came to greet me with a hug and kiss. We had a nice dinner, plenty of good conversation, then we took a small walk through the golf course and that was it. I like him a lot. He called me yesterday earlier in the day and then also after Alpha. He said he may cook for me this week. He has a lot going on with work but we'll see what happens.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #68  

Default Hi there!

E.Z. so sorry to hear about DD boyfriend's dad, so sad to think you can relax a little bit to discover it back. Will add him to my list, pastor goes for his MRI on Tuesday, to confirm whether it is just a shadow on the x-ray or a cyst, or emboli, or lipoma- fatty tumor(please Lord) or melanoma back again. You should be very pleased with your DD you did such a good job raising her, what an honor to be selected.
Thanks Wilma for prayers, I been there doing two jobs, getting paid for one- it will be worth it in the end.
Mitchy- cute jokes, sounds like all went well with Eric This could be it!!!Sprout - as alwyas devos were great. eep me focused.
Sunny - wow we have no snow guess its my turn to start waving and send some sun back to you. Sorry about electric that is always a bummer, and ankle prayers for healing- wow and you exercised to boot!
Hi to all MIA's see ya later

Last edited by doitforme; 04-04-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:09 PM   #69  

Default Devotional for Dieters for April 4, 2005

April 4

Psalm 37:7
Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

Is there anything worse than skinny people who act as if dieting were no big deal? It is so difficult to hear others criticize our efforts when they have absolutely no idea what we are going through. However, we need to understand that the comments of those who don't understand us really shouldn't affect us. The Lord loves us as we are, and He truly does understand the struggles we grapple with. He has compassion on His children, and He will deal with those who are cruel or unthinking in their dealings with us. Listen to the Lord, not to others who don't know us nearly as well.
Today's thought: Beware skinny people with fat mouths!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #70  
Walking Off The Pounds

Exclamation Back from Mall of America!

Just wanted to drop a quick line of hello to all. Can't believe how much you guys have posted in just the week I've been gone. Mall of America was great, the girls loved it and I believe the State of Minnesota has gained from our shopping spree. I don't think any of the girls (3-13 year olds) came home with more than about $20, but that's okay, that's what it was for. The Lord is SO GOOD, a 14 hour drive each way and safely!! We did see a few 'idiots' out there and surprised some of them didn't end up crashed but I guess the angels were watching over them too. Will try to get caught up some here at work today and maybe get a post back on tomorrow. Weather is great (61 now) sun shinning and birds were singing outside my window this am, what a great sound! Hope everyone is having a terrific day, - Margie
Old 04-04-2005, 01:50 PM   #71  

Hi All...

EZ...Prayers for the boyfriend's dad. How sad. I also pray for communication between your daughter and her boyfriend. I can understand that one for sure. I love being in the house all night and having it to myself. I hope you and a nice evening.

Sunny...Oh my goodnight! 15"! No heat! Sprained ankle! Should've stayed in bed the whole weekend. I'm sorry to say this too but I enjoyed our 60 degree sunny days!

Wilma...Are you enjoying the job?

doitforme...prayers for your pastor. Life just seems so unfair sometimes.

Michele...Glad you had fun with Eric...you certainly deserve it!

Sprout...great devotions.

My weekend was nothing that I had planned to do. I ended up spending the entire day on Saturday with my girls. They asked me to go junk shopping with them. No twisting of my arm. They invited me into my own world.

I forgot to set my clock back an hour in the bedroom so I was up late today and to work a bit late.

DH and I had a good weekend.

Where's everyone else?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:33 PM   #72  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 235/198/170

Height: 5ft 6in

Well hello everyone!

I had a great weekend although it has been raining for the last week or so. Really gray and heavy rain is coming down so I havent been able to take my lunch walks with my friend. That is kinda making me feel bad because I am not losing weight, and I am actually probably gaining instead . Well, hopefully the sun will come out soon.

SunnyD- Wow! What a weekend! I will be praying for your ankle. No heat? 15" of snow?!! I guess I better stop complaining! Especially since you had a sparined ankle and still managed to get some exercise in!! Good for you!!

Sprout - so much for the devotionals. I needed those so much! They are so encouraging and when it is God's Word then I know that it is not only encouraging but true. So thank you so much.

doitforme - I will be praying for your pastor. We found out a few months ago that our pastor was diagnosed with the same thing. We are praying and believing for a complete and total restoration of his health. We have a special Sat. night prayer for healing and I will definitely lift your pastor up.

Mkay - I am so happy to hear that your husbands foot is better. Good for him, great for you!!

wilma - How is your job going? Sounds like you have alot going on with training and everything. Good luck on your new endevour.

I also have a prayer request: I did not work for over 2 years so I could stay at home with my children. Now I am working again in a temporary position with the County. It is a wonderful job and I really enjoy the people and the hours. It has helped with our finances tremendously and is really taking the pressure off my husband. When I started this job I knew it was temporary and was going to go back to staying at home. My kids are doing well in their daycare and everything seems to be getting on the right track. Well, the job just opened up to become permanent. Since it is with the County, I dont automatically get the job because I am already in it. So I am filling out the application and going through the long process. So I am asking that you all would pray that the doors would be opened for me to get this position.

Well, have to get back to work now. I will post again soon!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:53 PM   #73  

mnewton...back when Rachel was 8ish, I too went to work in a part time position with the County. Low and behold, the job eventually opened up to full-time and I decided to take it even though I didn't want to until she was at least 10 yrs old. I've been working ever since...ended up working that job for 3.5 years and then working for the City for the past 10.5 years. It just seems so strange to read someone else's story that was so much like mine. I worked in the Environmental Health Division for our County. I hold the medical benefits so I can't quit anytime soon. I say, if it helps with keeping the load off DH and the kids are ok, then after praying about it and if you are both in agreement on it, go for it!

G'night all...time to go home from work.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #74  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Where is everyone today? I miss my Christian Encouragers!

Well, i went for WI yesterday but still not past my original 17 lb. loss so i was feeling a little deflated. (Even though i'm still losing and not continuing to go up) But i'm better today and think i have a better attitude. I'm really trying to stay on program today, drink my water. I didn't eat late last night, so that was good. I took Simba for a walk again last night over by the lake, was really nice. I had some praying time too.

So what are you all working on now?

Sunny, snow gone? I hope your ankle is better, sometimes it gets worse before it gets better.

We're going to get rain today, but it's warm so i don't care.

Eric is continuing to call and keep in touch. I'm really trying to leave in God's hands. But i do like him a lot.

Last edited by Mitchypoo; 04-05-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #75  

Default Hi there!

Margie- sounds like you and the girls had a great time- shopping is always fun, especially with teens.
M-kay - Thanks- spending time with your girls always beats out doing chores and junk shopping sounds like so much fun, like garage saling.
M.Newton- Thanks! Prayers for getting and keeping the job your in,
Hit o everyone else, pastor MRI was today, so pray all goes well with that. Thanks to all who are praying. I went to get my studded snow tires off this morning a true sign of spring. There was one damaged tire out of my summer tires and the guy I needed to purchase 4 new ones as with 4WD can't have different treaded tires or will damage abs and 4WD if used with those tires on, that set me back all most $300. to much fun. That was my big shopping day, time to eat lunch see ya!
Closed Thread