Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 AM   #166  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

May 13

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Beverly held a support group at the church every Tuesday morning. Bev had been enormous before she began her diet, and to the amazement of the entire congregation, she had lost two hundred pounds. After losing her weight, Beverly had determined to help others in their fights to lose weight. Many people found help in turning to Beverly, because they knew she could sympathize with what they were experiencing. Other people had little use for Bev, because her way of losing weight was too demanding. Being a Christian often means taking the hard way, but the hard way always offers us the greatest rewards.

Today's thought: Help me to benefit from the faith of others!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #167  
Trying to live below 200

May 14

Luke 8:48
And he said unto her, 'Daughter, be of good comfort: thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace.'

When all is said and done, the determining factor in our diet is going to be our frame of mind. No one loses weight who doubts he can do it. The mind is a tricky thing, and it will tell us time and again that there is no way we can hope to succeed. It will create all kinds of monsters for us to overcome, and defeating them is not easy. Only the person who is mentally and spiritually prepared stands a chance of overcoming. When we truly believe in ourselves and our Lord, then we can go in peace, knowing that nothing on earth can get the better of us.

Today's thought: God is bigger than any craving my mind and stomach can come up with!
Old 05-15-2019, 08:30 AM   #168  
Trying to live below 200

May 15

Matthew 14:31
And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, 'O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?'

Peter asked the Lord to allow him to walk on the water. Seeing his Master walking on the waves caused Peter to wish to do likewise. However, once he began his walk, he found himself sinking and afraid. What did the Lord do at this sign of unbelief? Did He allow Peter to sink? Of course not! So long as Jesus is nearby, we need never fear for our lives. Jesus Christ reaches out His hand to us when we get in over our heads. Though He wants us to develop unshakable faith, He is forgiving and loving, and He lifts us up when we are too weak to stand up on our own.

Today's thought: Thank the Lord that Christ holds me up when I'm most down!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 AM   #169  
Trying to live below 200

May 16

James 5:16
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

The group began every week by admitting all their transgressions. Having to admit all the wrongs that were done really helped act as a deterrent during the week. It was embarrassing to tell people about the things you shouldn't have eaten, even though they were all friends. What really made a difference was the period of prayer that ended each session. What a source of strength and courage! The group was the best thing Janet had ever gotten into. Dieting was almost a joy when it was done with such good friends. Sharing the experience helped Janet make her diet a success.

Today's thought: Confession is good for the soul and for the diet!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #170  
Trying to live below 200

May 17

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God.

Jerry was so confident. He knew he could lose weight if he would only knuckle down and try. But it seemed that no matter how determined he got, something came up to thwart him. Whenever friends tried to help him, he told them to leave him alone; he was going to make it on his own. How sad that some people try to do everything by themselves. It is good to believe in yourself, but not when that self-belief causes you to be less than you can be. Believe in God. Put your faith there. Whatever you find you cannot do, remember that God can do it.

Today's thought: Thank God for the gift of determination!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #171  
Trying to live below 200

May 18

Romans 1:17
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Jean had gone to church for years and had always known she was welcome there. Barbara attended a church across town from Jean's, and she was beginning to think it just wasn't right for her anymore. Both women saw each other at an exercise class that met on Monday mornings. One morning Barbara lamented about her disillusionment with her church, and Jean invited her to come to church with her on Sunday morning. Barbara immediately felt at home in Jean's church, and the two women developed a strong relationship. Faith met faith at an exercise/weight class, and a beautiful friendship was born.

Today's thought: I will use my diet for the glory of God.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #172  

S/C/G: 207/199/160

Height: 5'6"

I wish I could do a Monday exercise class but I still have to go to work. Retirement is coming!!
dkr102030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #173  
Trying to live below 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkr102030 View Post
I wish I could do a Monday exercise class but I still have to go to work. Retirement is coming!!
Maybe you can get a walk in after work.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #174  
Trying to live below 200

May 19

Mark 16:16
'He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.'

It is so easy to be tossed back and forth in our commitment to our diets. One day they seem worth the effort, and the next they seem like such a drag. It feels like they will never end, and nothing we do makes the time pass any faster. The sad fact is, it is up to us. If we stick to our diets, we'll lose weight. If we cheat, then we can't expect to lose. Just as the Christian who believes receives the eternal reward and those who don't believe will have no part in it, dieters who remain faithful reap the reward, while those who lose heart receive nothing.

Today's thought: In dieting, the biggest winner is the biggest loser!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 AM   #175  
Trying to live below 200

May 20

John 15:7
'If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.'

'I don't really believe in God. I keep asking him for things, and I never get them. I want new clothes, a decent car, and I'm tired of working. I go to church regularly, and I pray all the time. The Bible says that if I ask for anything in God's name I'll get it. I think it's a bunch of hogwash.' Too many people think all they have to do is ask, and God will shower them with wealth and luxuries of life. God does indeed want us to have good things, but He tells us that we must ask for things with a Christlike mind. We need to ask ourselves, 'Would Christ ask for this?' Ask in the Spirit of Jesus Christ, and God will bless you richly.

Today's thought: I need God's help to ask for the right things.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #176  
Trying to live below 200

May 21

Hebrew 11:1
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Jimmy wanted the bicycle so badly he could taste it. His mother and father had told him to save for it, and they would help him buy it. He remembered his father saying, 'If it's important enough to you, you'll be surprised how easy it is to save your money.' He hoped this was true, because he sure wanted the bike. If we want to lose weight badly enough, we will be surprised how easily we can stick to our diets. When the goal is great enough, we find sufficient supplies of faith and determination to overcome any temptation.

Today's thought: I want to be a substantial person without having a substantial body!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #177  
Trying to live below 200

May 22

Romans 14:22
Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Face it: You're going to give in a few times along the way. You know it, I know it, and most importantly, God knows it. As human beings, we have to face the fact that there are times we are very weak. Too many people condemn themselves and find it hard to go on. That's nonsense. When we fall down and indulge in a special treat we should not have, we should repent of the transgression but not of the happiness the treat gave us. Those things that fatten us are good, and we like them a lot. There is nothing wrong with liking them, and there is nothing to be ashamed of in falling back now and again.

Today's thought: If God thinks I'm forgivable, who am I to argue?
Old 05-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #178  
Trying to live below 200

May 23

2 Corinthians 1:9
But we had the sentence of death in ourselves, that we should not trust in ourselves, but in God which raiseth the dead.

Alice walked ahead of me in the lunch line. As we moved along, Alice would hesitate, reach out her hand, then pull it back. After she had done this a couple of times, I noticed that she had three letters written on the back of her hand: GIW. I asked her what they meant. She looked at me and said, 'God Is Watching. I figure if I keep reminding myself of that, it will keep me out of trouble.' When we cannot trust ourselves, it is good to know there is Someone to trust who will not let us down: Jesus Christ.

Today's thought: Watch me closely, Lord. I'm hungry, and I'm weak.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:12 AM   #179  
Trying to live below 200

May 24

Hebrews 10:38
Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.

Helen lamented that she couldn't lose weight, but she hardly ever tried. Oh, she would spend time with her friends talking about diets, and she would go to exercise class and sit on the side of the gym while her friends exercised, and she would buy diet sodas and TV dinners, but she would also buy coffee cakes and ice cream. The saddest thing about Helen was that she couldn't understand why her friends weren't sympathetic to her. Everyone, including God, will sympathize with us when we are giving it our best efforts. However, if we deal with losing weight like Helen, even God will have little patience with us.

Today's thought: Only fools think they fool God!
Old 05-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #180  
Trying to live below 200

May 25

1 Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

The Lord wants us to develop strong convictions. The best Chris-tians are the ones who are unwavering in their faith. God will help us develop a lot of iron so we might become totally committed to whatever we set our minds to. As dieters, we need that kind of con-viction. If we can stand firm in our resolve to lose weight, we can become examples of the power of God to change lives, physically as well as spiritually. When we commit our endeavors to the Lord, we raise them above personal goals and make them a part of our faith walk; a walk we never make alone.

Today's thought: Let my spirit be immovable, not my body!