Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 AM   #121  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

April 23

Galatians 5:1
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Patience gained during the diet is something well worth holding onto after the diet ends. How many people have lamented that they lost weight only to gain it back again. It is so silly to allow such a thing to happen. We struggle so hard to take weight off; why would we ever let it find a home on us again? Dieting frees us from the imprisonment of a fleshy jail. Once free from that, we should never return. Ask the Lord for strength and determination, so that once we liberate ourselves from fat, we may not be taken prisoner again!

Today's thought: I will not stand for slavery to flesh and fat!
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:08 AM   #122  
Trying to live below 200

April 24

Ephesians 4:27
Neither give place to the devil.

Satan would have us be much less than we have been created to be. He tempts us to gluttony and greed, then makes us feel weak and unworthy. He tries and tests us a thousand ways, and the harder we try to resist, the harder he works to thwart us. The only way to stand firm against the devil is to enlist the power of the Almighty God. Whereas Satan may have a field day with his human forces, he has no effect against God. When we give in to the temptation to indulge, we are really giving in to the plan of the devil to turn us from God. Follow the Lord at all times, and the devil will flee from you.

Today's thought: Chocolate cake is nothing but devil's food!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #123  
Trying to live below 200

April 25

Romans 8:18
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Long-distance runners say they always keep the finish line in their mind's eye. The goal is the important thing. The runner who loses sight of the finish line is lost. In a like fashion, the dieter who loses sight of a newer, thinner self is lost. Diets are worth every effort we give them, though there are many times when the fact slips from our minds. The apostle Paul found great strength in times of suffering by remembering that those who are faithful receive glory in the age to come. If we will keep our thoughts on the reward to come, our diets will be much easier.

Today's thought: I can suffer today for a new me tomorrow!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #124  
Trying to live below 200

April 26

1 Thessalonians 5:18
In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

It's easy to be thankful when we have everything we want or need. It's when we're forced to do without that thankfulness be-comes difficult. Giving thanks for the opportunity to do without our daily bread is sometimes very, very hard. Yet, God is sure to help us when we need help the most. When we feel weak or hungry or unhappy, He will stand beside us and give us comfort. We're blessed to have God to rely on. Be thankful for the love and care of our Lord. In all things praise Him. When we learn to be thankful in our need, we are all the more thankful in our abundance.

Today's thought: If it is my heart's desire to be thin, God will help me!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #125  
Trying to live below 200

April 27

Psalm 27:14
Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.

There will be days when everything seems useless and impossible. The temptation to give up will be almost overwhelming. It is in those times of total desperation that we need to cry out to the Lord. The Lord truly will strengthen the hearts of those who call upon Him. The periods of despair will pass; the temptations will pass. What will never pass away is the loving support of God. He stands beside those who put their trust and faith in Him. Call out to God in the tough times. Rejoice with Him when the times are easy. Wait on the Lord, and He will bless your life!

Today's thought: As the wait goes on, the weight comes off!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:00 AM   #126  
Trying to live below 200

April 28

John 14:14
'If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.'

A man asked help from his brothers, and they had no time. He turned to his children, and they had too many other things to do. He tried his friends, but they were all away. Feeling lonely and alone, he knelt down and prayed. Why is it that we turn to God only after all our other options are closed? God has promised to give us the desires of our hearts, and yet we seek them in a hundred other places. We need to make God our first choice, not our last. Keep the Lord first in you heart, first in your mind, and first in all you do and say. You'll be amazed what it can do for you!

Today's thought: A new me is mine for the asking!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #127  
Trying to live below 200

April 29

Luke 8:43-44
And a woman having an issue of blood twelve years, which had spent all her living upon physicians, neither could be healed of any, Came behind him, and touched the border of his garment: and immediately her issue of blood stanched.

How can we seriously feel sorry for ourselves when so many people have so little? Certainly, dieting produces discomfort, but it's very slight. We shouldn't let ourselves get carried away, making our diets a bigger deal than they need to be. However, the good news is, if God can take care of the really big things in life, He will have no trouble helping us through the trial of our diet. God gives good things to those who go out of their way to make Him part of their lives. Reach out to touch the hand of the Lord, and He will reach down to lift us above the struggles we face in life.

Today's thought: The touch of the Lord makes all things fine!
Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 AM   #128  
Trying to live below 200

April 30

James 5:11
Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

The end may not be in sight yet, but it's there somewhere. Ask the Lord for patience to make it work out. Job was beset by dozens of terrible afflictions, yet he kept his faith and his patience. He is a wonderful example for those of us who are dealing with the ordeal of a long diet. The Lord doesn't want us to suffer, even in small ways. When we diet, we open ourselves to a long, hard road of dis-comfort and struggle. Having the Lord on our side makes the struggle easier and the discomfort manageable. Job knew that as long as he had his faith, he had everything he needed to get by. The same is true for us today.

Today's thought: Patience makes the fast pass faster!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:14 AM   #129  
Trying to live below 200

May 1

Mark 9:23
Jesus said unto him, 'If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.'

All my friends said they didn't think I could do it. They had watched me stuff myself so many times; they didn't think I had any self-control at all. I showed them. I knew in my heart I could make it. Sure, it was tough, but I'm no quitter. When the going got the toughest, it just made me more determined to lose the weight. The key is to believe in yourself. God believes in us, even though we don't always deserve His trust. If God can believe in us, then who are we to do otherwise? Pray for God's assurance, and you will find more than enough faith to make it through.

Today's thought: God believes in me!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:45 AM   #130  
Trying to live below 200

May 2

Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Ed didn't really know what made him decide to try to take weight off, but now he was glad. His doctor had discovered an irregular heartbeat, and he told Ed to be thankful that he didn't have to carry around so much weight anymore, or his poor heart just wouldn't be able to bear the load. Ed secretly thanked the Lord for helping him out. No matter what had motivated Ed to lose, by doing so he had saved his own life. It was ironic, but Ed had always known that God makes all things work out for the best. After this, no one could ever convince him differently!

Today's thought: My diet may be the best idea God's had all day!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:42 AM   #131  
Trying to live below 200

May 3

Psalm 94:10
He that chastiseth the heathen, shall not he correct? he that teacheth man knowledge, shall not he know?

Jill watched the television program to see the author of a diet plan she wanted to try. She settled in, hoping to be inspired by the man who had helped millions lose weight. When he came on, her heart sank. The man must have weighed three hundred pounds! How could you be inspired by someone who couldn't even practice what he preached? She had really hoped that at long last she had found a winner. Every time Jill put her faith in some new fad, it always seemed to fall apart. Jill guessed her mother was right: The only source worthy of her faith was Christ. Perhaps He really could help where everyone else had failed.

Today's thought: Following fads is frustrating and foolish!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:24 AM   #132  
Trying to live below 200

May 4

Proverbs 16:20
He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the Lord, happy is he.

Ben couldn't believe all the people he was talking with. They all wanted to lose weight overnight! None of them seemed to be looking at any practical programs. They had all latched onto crash diets with pills and books and foolish promises of miraculous results. Ben sat down and worked out a practical diet that he could live with, so that once he lost weight (and he realized it would take some time), he could stick with the diet and avoid putting the weight back on. When he said his prayers that night, he put in a special request for some common sense for his friends.

Today's thought: Trust is a must for weight to abate!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #133  
Trying to live below 200

May 5

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Denny looked at the enormous jigsaw puzzle with a gleam in his eye. 'This is my puzzle, and I'm going to do it all by myself. Nobody else can touch it!' Denny worked at the puzzle long and hard, but grew frustrated as he couldn't get the pieces to work. Finally, in despair, Denny ran to his father and asked him to come make some of the pieces fit. We cannot afford to enter into our diets with the attitude that we don't need help. Like Denny, we will find that we just can't do it by ourselves. Praise God that He is there for us when we come seeking His help!

Today's thought: I don't have to face my diet by myself.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #134  
Trying to live below 200

May 6

1 Peter 1:7
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ.

When the heavy-duty drearies set in, it is easy to question whether you believe in anything at all. Dieting is tedious, taxing, and trying. If there is a God, you may ask, why doesn't He just put us out of our misery? The Lord knows what we need, and He brings us through tough times so we might be made better for it. Just as gold is purified when subjected to intense heat, we are purified by our struggles. When we come through a situation, we are able to look back on it stronger than we were before. Trust the wisdom of the Lord, and He will reward you with faith and love.

Today's thought: I am made stronger every day that I diet!
Old 05-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #135  
Trying to live below 200

May 7

Galatians 3:26
For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Sarah loved chocolate, but when her parents found out she was seriously allergic to it, they made sure she never got any Sometimes when they were out, she would beg for some chocolate, but her parents never wavered. They allowed her other treats, but they were able to stand firm in their denial of chocolate out of the love they had for their daughter. Our Lord watches all of us as beloved children. He wants us to have good things, but not things that are harmful to us. Overeat-ing is indeed harmful, so we should not be surprised that God doesn't want us to do it.

Today's thought: Lord, help me avoid things that could harm me.