Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #16  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, I managed to keep DH busy and at home for most of the day; but he did manage to find his church somehow this morning, and brought home a nice bulletin (I will share the story in the Prayer Warriors thread).

We just puttered around here doing minor stuff. Our hydro was off from the time we got up until 2 pm this afternoon, so I used our BBQ to boil water for coffee; and I made us grilled chz in a pan for breakfast. It all worked out well. The hydro came back on and I put on one load of laundry as the hydro is about 1/2 off on the weekends & holidays.

So we just rested for the remainder of the day since my legs have been quite sore lately. We had fish and homefries with coleslaw for dinner. It is a bit cooler here this week; you definitely need a sweater or jacket today. It for most of the afternoon, and it is a bit windy, but the keeps peeking out now & then from the clouds. I haven't decided whether to go for a walk as it is so cold out right now; and my legs really needed the rest this weekend.

Hope you all had a lovely weekend out there ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-11-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #17  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

We're having nice weather here the last few days! Cool temps in the 70's and sunny. Could use some more rain for the garden, but things are ok for right now. I decided it was time to go through Dad's old paperwork and start shredding non-essentials, like taxes and marriage certificates, etc. Found that he had kept many things I had given him, like my first business card and articles I had written for a newspaper. Funny how he always acted like a gruff, tough old guy, but he sure had a soft spot for his daughters and grandsons! I have another box of old books and I think one's a first edition Kipling, so I need to see if it has any value, but I know there's some old, old family stuff in there, too, so that will be interesting to go through. I'm learning things about the family as I go through the old stuff. Kinda nice

I have an abundance of summer squash this year, so I'm gonna be giving some away, plus have plenty to freeze for soups, etc. I think our tomatoes were mislabeled because what were supposed to be Roma's are the smallest pear-shaped tomatoes I've ever seen! I think they're just some kind of mini-pear tomato instead of Roma, but I'll puree them and freeze them-I mix the tomato puree with onions and celery and freeze it for chili and soups. It's soooo good!

Well, time to get back to my shredder-it was taking a break-lol! It gets warm and decides to quit, so I come here or check my Facebook while it's resetting

You all have a great day! Enjoy what little's left of summer!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:46 PM   #18  
To be fit for my King!

S/C/G: 194/170/130

Height: 5 ft 3 in

Hello All! So excited to find this faith based thread!!!!!
Robin here. I used to be on fat chicks every day when I attempted Ideal Protein. I couldn't stay on it due to severe migraines from low calorie intake, artificial preservatives and coloring adding to the migraine issue as well.
I have been at 170 for a few months now and am ready to get down more.
I am so tired of being stagnant and definitely am sick of the belly bulge, ugh.
I need to beef up my water drinking and start doing some type of exercise, and of course increase the fruits and veggies.
Any encouragement would be great.
Thanks
Robin
whirlybird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #19  
Rosebud

BACK, ROBIN -- glad that you decided to try us again. I am just trying to eat clean as I can; had some basic tips from a dietician before I came home who said that the reason I was wanting to snack so much was that I wasn't eating enuff at my meals. Turns out she was correct -- now that I have added more to my meals, I am snacking much less.

She told me to add a dairy serving to each meal: ie either a glass of milk, a serving of yogurt, or lower fat cheese (I just eat whatever kind I like); plus to have a fruit with each meal and as a snack. I also am using a tip from another man that eats a small bowl of cereal if he feels hungry between meals. Lately, I have been eating sunflower seeds again; that was a habit that I had forgotten from my younger years that really worked for us back then.

So I vary the dairy in each meal; add a fruit; added a salad or soup with lunch or dinner; usually I have an apple in the evening now, (only cereal if we are really hungry). We had an early dinner between 4:00 & 4:30 pm, so we each had a small bowl of cereal tonight. So far so good ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-17-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #20  
To be fit for my King!

Hey Rosebud,
Thanks for the warm welcome, great progress you have made.
I am lactose intolerant so I pretty much avoid dairy if possible.
I like the idea of adding a little more healthy items to a meal to make
sure you're eating enough. I may try that.
I thought sunflower seeds were fattening. What kind are you eating?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:59 PM   #21  
Rosebud

WHIRLYBIRD -- there are many lactose-free products available today, but it's a matter of personal choice. You can sub with other foods if you prefer. I eat the sunflower seeds in the shell; it takes so long to eat them that you only can eat a handful or less at a time. That is key of course, and it works well for me. I also put an apple on my bedside table just in case I get hungry later on in the evening.

We have two nice days in a row with lots of all day; today we had a nice breeze as well. I wanted to cut my lawn a bit but I only got one round done and the danged thing just up and stopped working. I was going around the edge and hit a small hilly clump. I called around for advice and a mechanic where we bought it thinks that something got bent when I went over the grass/dirt clump. Geepers, doesn't take much to wreck a lawnmower.

We haven't been impressed with this machine since we got it -- it stops all the time and is sometimes hard to start. Our last one never gave us this much trouble (we only lost it becuz DH ran over some big rocks twice). Oh dear ... I hope it doesn't cost too much to get it fixed and we have to pay a transportation fee on top. The guy that usually does this kind of work is on holidays for the next 8+ days so our grass will be getting even higher by then if the store mechanic can't fix it.

There are supposed to be some new kinds coming out like battery operated ones; that would be nice to have as the electric ones are easier to start. I just hope the repair doesn't cost more than the original price. So then we had to take DH's 3-wheel bike to the BIKE MAN to get it fixed. One of the tires was split by the air valve. So we will be picking that up tomorrow after church.

I have gotten a lot more walking in lately; I know the LORD is helping with this as I haven't been able to do this before. I must go very slowly and rest a lot, but this method is working much better. It was a lot of trial and error until I found the best way for me. The canes help me with balance and of course to keep my right leg going with it's bad knee. I am thrilled with my progress so far.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #22  
To be fit for my King!

justwant2behealthy,
Uh, it sucks when the mower breaks, so sorry!! Hope it doesn't cost too much.
I have a zero turn radius and I love it. I have an acre and a half to cut.
As far as the weight issue, I have definitely been doing better adding water to my daily regimen, but now I have to pee all the time!
Today I ate 2 hot dogs with chips for lunch and oatmeal and toast for dinner.
I worked as a waitress today for about 8 hours, so I burned a lot of calories.
I am in bad need of getting to the fruit stand and getting some fresh fruits and veggies, waiting on some additional income. I am craving a salad and bananas.
Take care all, Robin
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Praise Report. DH and I had our 3 month check up and results of our blood work. I had asked y'all to pray a while back that DH would not have to start insulin. Praise God, both of our fasting blood sugar was down. DH was still high, but down to 7.8 from 8.3 last time. Mine was down from
8 something down to 6.8. His triglycerides were up a little bit, but his good cholesterol was down. My triglycerides were normal although he wants it down lower around 100, by good cholesterol was up 1 and bad cholesterol was in normal range but up a little. We both had lost weight. I was down 4 lbs, not sure how much DH had lost. DH was surprised he had lost. I told the doc I was working on improving our healthy eating learning to cook again, but the weight loss is very slow. He was thrilled with me exercising 5 days a week and said that he would be happy if I came in with a 4 lb loss at every visit. He thinks with the diet changes and the exercise that the cholesterol will continue to improve.

Thanks Prayer Partners for praying with me about this. God is so good. Couldn't wait to share with you. BTW I was really anticipating the triglyceride report because I had read that many people use coconut oil in their morning coffee to help lower it. Last time my triglycerides reading was 152 (normal is 150). This time it was 144. I told the doc what I was doing and he said "Well, it worked". Now working to get more fiber in my diet. Thanks again. I appreciate y'all so very much.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #24  
Rosebud

TRISH -- that's great news about your recent check-ups; sounds like you are doing a lot right!!! PRAIZE GOD -- HE does hear and answer our prayers. HE answered another one for me today and we had a good, peaceful day. I was able to go for a couple of walks: one shorter one to a nearby store and one to our beautiful lake (longer route this time too).

We had another angel helper today. He came to get our lawnmower and fixed it for us for free. Good enuff that I was able to cut our lawn today. It was really low on oil, so he filled it up; must watch that in the future too. There is still something that isn't right about this machine that has been happening since we got it -- it seems to overheat, then stop. You have to let it cool off then start it again. I did the front and side first, then 2/3 of the back with two breaks in between. That is good becuz it gives me a break too. It is also possible that the carburator is dirty and may need cleaning; I have heard of that happening. The fella said that it may need to go in for servicing later on when the small engine mechanic opens up again at the end of the month. I'd like to get through this season at least, as we haven't had it that long.

I sure did my share of exercise today -- and I THANK GOD for the strength HE has been giving me each day lately. We have had a lot of unnecessary stress this past week or so, and I forgot to go to my doctor appt so I will have to rebook that. I also have to do one test over as I made some mistakes on it.

Well, it is supposed to rain over the next two days; so it won't be so hot. We had a lovely breeze here all day and it was so nice to sit on our front porch as the breeze goes through it so nicely. There is a neighbouring fence that blocks the airflow beside the deck at the back so it gets quite uncomfortable on hotter days. So glad that we have the front one to keep us cool with all my beautiful flowers and vines that are doing so fab this year too.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-19-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Just called my beauty operator and made an appointment to get my head shaved. When I told her what I wanted her shocked response was "OMG ! You've got cancer " ! Other people are afraid to mention it.

Last edited by bargoo; 08-21-2013 at 06:28 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #26  
Rosebud

BARGOO -- that's probably true ... I have noticed that some people find the subject uncomfortable and conversations seem to halt abruptly. I don't share my experience for pity; I don't want anyone's pity -- I just want some understanding and a listening ear: that's what true friendship is all about.

Somebody kept saying that to me recently: "I feel so bad for you, I really do" ... so often, that I wanted to strangle him. I thought just what I said above: I don't want your pity; all I ever hoped for was understanding and friendship, but some people just can't give that for me & my situation nor for my DH & his Alzheimers.

I share what is going on in my life becuz it's the truth; and that truth is my reality -- it's what I am dealing with at this time. I only want to share HOPE: that if I can make it through all I am going through, then they can too if they ever find themselves in a similar situation. Some people just don't seem to understand Alzheimers; that it is an uncureable disorder of the brain. He won't get better; we can only try to manage the symptoms the best we can on a daily basis.

Then there are those with what I call misguided good intensions; they hurt you without realizing they are. They think they know what you need in your life; but they don't. Then they try to rearrange your life or future for you becuz they think you don't know what's best for you and they do. They mean well, but they don't ask you what you want.

Then there are those that ask really personal questions in public that I would never even think to ask someone in private. I'm talking about total strangers here; not someone I know. I have been affronted three times in the last week by people in this manner. I am always so flabbergasted by this that I struggle to come up with answers, then later wish I just had the guts to tell them to all mind their own business (my friend told me that is what I should have said).

I am so kind-hearted that I always think carefully what I ask or say becuz I don't want to offend anyone for be too nosy. I keep my distance and try not to intrude into other's lives; unfortunately, that may be interpreted as if I don't like them nor care, which is not true -- I am just am trying to be considerate of their privacy.

Wow, sorry for the rant -- but man oh man, have I been experiencing some weird situations and people lately. It has been somewhat disheartening with so much on my plate, I forgot to go to my doctor's appt this week, so have to rebook it and wait that much longer; thank goodness it is just a follow-up and some tests that I have to do every so often.

We had really weather here today; it started off nice in the am so I did some housework then, but later on it was really hot. We met some friends at a local restaurant but the walk there and back was sveltering. So we stayed indoors for the rest of the day and ate a very light dinner.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-21-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #27  

Rosebud, your post is so true. I get that "I'm so sorry", too. I know they mean well, BUT I have a flash for them, there are actually things worse than cancer. Yep, I said it out loud.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #28  
Rosebud

Quote:
BUT I have a flash for them, there are actually things worse than cancer. Yep, I said it out loud.
YEPPERS, I so agree with you on that one; never thought I'd say that but dealing with DH's Alzheimers is 100 times worse as it is ongoing every day 24/7/365. It never ends; it gets worse all the time; you never know what is going to happen next; you get blind-sided at least once a week; he does & says things that are inappropriate so you are constantly apologizing for him; and inside you feel mortified; you pray that others will be kind and understanding but sometimes they are not; and you get funny looks and queer comments at times; it is so lonely becuz you cannot ever have a normal conversation with them; sometimes he cannot finish one sentence though his new meds are helping in that area a little bit; he's very moody; and you are living with someone who acts and talks like a child but lives in an adult's body; you have to stay with them most of the time; and you are limited to the places that you can take them for many reasons; you have little or no help at all (it has been promised here but hasn't shown up yet); it is constantly getting worse; it is difficult to get cooperation/help & needed meds from the doctors; your life is on hold while you care for them (well, you don't have a life unless like me, you arrange one with him included); and it is truly the longest goodbye in the world.

It's kinda like the thoughtless things people say about and to those who are overweight -- they don't stop and think about what it would feel like to have someone say that to them. I am getting that with the end result of my surgery; I don't know if I will have more surgery as I have to wait til my body heals and adjusts. Annnndddd, I am not sure if I want another surgery; why people have a problem with that I don't know. It's not them that will be going through the recovery and the pain, it's me. Every surgery is risky so my doctors will do it only if they feel it is necessary and safe. To tell you the truth, my stomach doesn't look too bad; it's much better that I ever thought it would be. You can hardly see the scar in some places, my muscles pulled up wonderfully becuz of the tummy exercises I have been doing; and the skin pulled up with it. My stomach was a lot worse before. I guess it depends on the person; if it is causing me discomfort or duress, I may consider it. Honestly, I'd rather not have it at all. I am OK with how I look. Heck, I have scars from my spina bifida surgery and other issues too. I have no illlusions about my body. I wear a comfortable support brief when I go out and I am told by others that I look great (GOD BLESS THEM FOR THAT). Just the other night a lady stopped me to tell me that very thing and I was very touched by that; it was a very needed boost for my self-esteem which had been taking some bashing lately.

My walking is getting better and better these days; I went to the beach just yesterday all by myself. It was a long way but I made it. That was another first for me; haven't done that since my twenties either. The weather was perfect for it. Tonight DH & I went to the lake and did a round loop and back home again. There were a lot of people out walking tonight; dozens in fact. It seems to be catching on ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-22-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #29  

rosebud, I just read a great piece on Facebook. It was written by my DIL's DS. I will shorten it but what she said was that she was playing in the yard with her daughter, wearing a bikini top and a total stranger came by and said why would she want to show those disgusting scars to the world. She was talking about stretch marks .She wanted to get angry but rather said those marks represented her becoming a mother and she was proud of every one. ,
Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #30  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Can A Catholic join?
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote