S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It's all about priorities, isn't it ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #47  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

BARGOO ~ oh yes, it is -- isn't it?

Plus, a lot of people spend a lot of money on cigarettes (I know we saved a bundle when we quit), booze, and eating out. People say it is expensive to eat healthier, but they spend way more on the take-out food and getting it, and the junk food, than they would on healthy whole food meals made at home. Cutting down on meat & buying only very lean cuts can cut your grocery bill in half (here, meat is very expensive).

We also buy lots of food stuffs, personal care, and household products from bargain department stores, which sell them for half or even less. Just between the ciggies & cars, you can save a bundle of $$$ each month. Add in the other excesses, and you could give to charity and put aside some for savings too.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-17-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #48  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I tried a lot harder in 2011 to give to charity. I won't say I was the super-hero that the lady in the article was, but I found I was able to give a bit more every month. And it felt good. I like to give to religious charities and health charities (like the American Heart Association).
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #49  
Rosebud

DEE ~ yes, DH and I did the same as you; our salary isn't quite as high as hers is. The first year, she gave to larger well-known charities, but the second year, she switched to more local charities and health-related ones like we did.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #50  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi, Everyone How are you all doing? I've missed everyone, but I'm back now! Hoping that's a good thing for you all to hear-LOL!

Having what feels like incredibly cold weather right now, but I guess it only seems that way since it's been such an unusually warm winter so far. Sure needed that, though! I'm getting back on track with my eating and have lost a couple pounds already

Today is our 'town' day, so will be going in just a bit. Have 'hand therapy' for newly-diagnosed osteoarthritis of an unknown type at this time (makes my finger joints very painful), then a haircut, and we'll probably have lunch somewhere in there, then, of course, the weekly grocery shopping. Have to shop for my mom's stuff too, as she's currently housebound, waiting for a hip replacement, and can't walk more than a few feet and we don't dare let her drive! She's doing fairly well, but keep her in your prayers, as her appt. isn't until Feb. 28th after the first doctor didn't work out (rolled his eyes when she mentioned she had allergies), so we're taking her to Mayo to try to get the best help she can get.

Well, other than that, not much going on here. It's nice to see so many familiar faces still here!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #51  
Rosebud

Quote:
Hi, Everyone How are you all doing? I've missed everyone, but I'm back now! Hoping that's a good thing for you all to hear-LOL!
Of course, we are glad to hear that you are back, sweets ... And congrats on losing a few # already; good for you. Sounds like you have a fun day planned; enjoy it!!! Will send up some ^prayers^ for your mom about her hip; and for the doctors to give her the best treatment available.

We had a busy day here; we spent the day doing some sorting and cleaning. Got a lot done, and was happy about that. Now gotta go and put my legs up to rest a bit; will do a puzzle, a devotional, and read from a new historical romance I just started too.

The temps weren't too bad today (in the -teens C), but we did have some lovely for most of the day, which was really nice. Some friends dropped by for a visit on Monday aft. I made shepherd's pie from the pork & veggie leftovers -- that was nice. Tonight was our weekly pasta night: we had Creamy Mac (DH loves that one & so do I; it's a family recipe); I just make sure to measure out my pasta portion.

Well, time to go; take good care and keep warm out there ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-18-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #52  
wishin' for sun!

Good morning

Rosebud-we're getting that cold weather here too now What an odd winter it's been! I noticed how much weight you've lost! Wonderful!!! Thank you for the prayers-I know they were working and will continue to work for my mom, as well

Got everything done yesterday, except the haircut-they had to cancel because my hairdresser has the flu Sad to hear she was sick, but I reaaaaallllly need a haircut, so not sure if I can wait until her next opening, as she's usually booked up a month in advance. Might have to go to one of those Cost Cutters places, but it's so hit and miss on whether you get someone who knows what they're doing, you know...

Not going anywhere today, but got a bunch of stuff to organize the office yesterday, including 4 2-drawer file cabinets! I refuse to let things sit in piles any longer! Even the computer games are going in a drawer Cords are in boxes, photo discs in boxes, and all DH's work paperwork, drawings, seminar info, boiler operation info, etc, etc, etc will be in cabinets! I've gotten so tired of having to dust papers when we need them and sorting through stuff to find what's needed at the moment So, I put my Christmas money to work last night Of course, none of the work will start until I finish my harvesting and rent collecting on my Cityville

Well, hope you all have a wonderful, blessed day!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #53  
Rosebud

RONNI ~ sounds like you'll be busy, but very productive too; good idea to use some of your Christmas money on the file cabinets. I have some of those storage towers in my office. I got them all on sale; and boy, are they handy for storing stuff. They come together so you don't have to do anything but wheel them where you want them to be. I could use one more to put DH's hat & mitts & stuff in for the back closet.

It's colder here again today, but the is shining brightly which is great. We did get a dump of ***** over the last two days; we're getting buried in the stuff. We need to ask GOD to send some of this fluffy precip down to TEXAS ...

I made a pot of homemade soup for lunch to warm DH up after all the snow pushing he had to do this AM. I had an open-faced tuna sandwich (tuna salad on one slice of wg bread) with my small bowl of soup as well; that was very filling, I must say.

It's Friday, so we are planning on having hamburglers for dinner tonight: I actually have a chicken burger (which are half the calories) on a whole grain bun, and a salad. DH has a beef one, and I will likely make him some home fries to go with it, as he doesn't like salad at all.

Hope all our friends here are having a Fabulous Friday out there today; take care and keep warm ...

BTW ~ Interesting article about Maintainers Keeping Weightloss Off For Good from the National Weight Control Registry: since 1993, they have been studying 10,000 persons who have lost 30+ lbs and kept it off. They share their best tips here ...

http://fitbie.msn.com/lose-weight/ti...ep-weight-good

I posted the link in the Maintenance Library as well.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-20-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #54  

Gary, I see in another thread that you refer to John 3:16, a Bible verse I learned as a little girl. It reminds me of a small group who used to meet at 7:14 PM , referring to the scripture 2 Chronicles 7:14.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-22-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #55  
Rosebud

BARGOO ~ that is one of my favorite scriptures; and a great one for any church to follow ... (2 Chronicles 7:14). Clever idea to use it for meetings and such. That would be a good one for the US at this time; what about a 7:14 PM prayer meeting for the US and it's economy (+ other issues like your election & leaders & policy makers, world peace, etc).

We had a good weekend here; it was a bit colder, but today is really mild for us (only -1 C/31 F) and of course, some more ***** is falling out there (but just lightly). DH ran an errand for me this AM, and is now pushing some more snow around as we speak trying to keep ahead of it a bit.

I made a nice pot of homemade tomato-bean & pork soup for lunch today using more leftover pork I had put in the freezer; added some white navy beans and lotsa veggies too; yummy. We like to eat a lot of homemade soups & stews in the winter here. I made OVEN BAKED "fried" chicken last night for dinner; turned out great & have enuff for dinner tonight as well.

Hope everyone has a wonderful week -- with good healthy eating; and be sure to keep warm now ...
Old 01-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #56  

S/C/G: Not ready for this yet!

Height: 5'11"

I am new to these forums, but have been sort of 'silently reading' many of the posts and think I am definitely in the right place for support. I recently had a run in with God over my overeating issue! I feel like my 'sin' of overeating is on display for everyone to see, how am I to be a true follower of Christ while continuing in my sin?? That goes against the repentance I am supposed to have, I am to forsake my sins and leave them behind....but overeating is the one I cling on to. This sin is no different in God's eyes as lying, stealing, etc. sin is sin! I have decided that I cannot truly follow Christ fully unless I leave ALL of my sin behind (or at least try to!). So last week I stumbled on this site and I posted an introduction. I have stopped eating when I am not hungry...period!!! I am not doing it, it's unneccesary and it's hurting me to eat so much. I have started drinking a weight loss shake (like slim fast) for breakfast and lunch (since I tend to forget to eat those meals as I am busy busy during the day, but then I wind up eating non-stop from early afternoon into late evening) and then I eat a low calorie dinner (try to keep it around 500 or less calories)...so my total intake for the day is less than a thousand calories..I'm thinking I should probably add in some snacks????? Any advice. I was 398 lbs. a week ago...I have lost 8 pounds so far and am 390 lbs. today, I will weigh again in a week
Thalstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #57  
Rosebud

THALSTEAD ~ to both 3FC's and our Faith Forum over here. Sounds like you have a plan there; and you are seeing benefits already. Ya, when we don't eat all day, then wonder why we are starving all night -- taking in some calories should help that I think. I eat my breakfast a bit later than some people do (anywhere from 9:00 - 10:30 am). It just works for me becuz I often find myself hungry around 11 am too. I often have a fruit & coffee at that time to tide me over for my lunch.

I think that all GOD wants us to do is give it our best shot -- and that is to eat as healthy as we can (without excess, of course; it's the excess that's the sin). When it comes to "sin" per se, it's all about INTENTION, as Paul explains. Our sinful, weak nature battles with our spirit all the time. As long as we put some effort into it, along with our desire (will) to eat & live in a healthy manner, I think the LORD's Grace will cover the rest (the mistakes & slip-ups).

This is a great group here; lots of support & understanding too. Come back often; it really makes the difference, I find.

BTW, I am on a portion-based calorie plan; right now, I'm aiming for 1600-1800 most days with up to 2000 (on fun food Fridays which is my maintenance amount but often I am under that anyways).

Today, I had an oatmeal grain mix breakfast with whey protein powder & skim milk; tsp brown sugar for taste really. For lunch I had a small bowl of homemade soup first, then a veggie wg pita pizza. For dinner, we are having leftover baked "fake fried" chicken with salad, and probably some rice/barley mixture too.

Yes, I would include a couple of snacks; I do. I have either fruit (apple, fruit compote), or wg soda crackers & chz or pb, or yogurt or NSA pudding; tea, coffee, or a mocha hot chocolate, etc.

I made a nice fruit compote the other day to use up some fruit I had in the freezer: 2 cups Rhubarb + 2 cups Blueberries + 2 cups Strawberries + 2 tbl sugar + 3 sweetener packets (2 tbl worth). Sure is yum.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-23-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #58  
wishin' for sun!

Thalstead! Glad you've found us! I was gone for awhile, but have realized that there isn't anyplace else where people really care about how I'm doing in this battle against my weight. I call it a battle as it's part of the spiritual battle we have against Satan who keeps trying to control what we think, do, say, and EAT! My only hope of victory is Christ and much of my support is here in this group I'm using a plan similar to Rosebud's in that I'm controlling portions rather than counting calories anymore. But, I also cycle high carb/low carb days and it just seems to be helping me not have cravings.

Rosebud-You always have such wonderful-sounding meals! Well-balanced too! I'm trying to keep the balance again, but it was so much easier in the summer when the veggies were fresh!

I found a really yummy butternut squash soup by V-8! It comes in a cardboard carton by the broths in our Walmart, but I really recommend it, if you like soup. Had some today with a bit of turkey wrapped around a cheese stick for lunch (today's a low-carb day, so avoided bread). We had been out shoveling snow earlier and it really helped warm me up too-LOL! Thinking about making beef barbeque tonight with veggies, but not sure yet. I have such a hard time planning ahead for meals and I tend to make last-minute decisions about what we're having. I know that's bad, but just not sure why I have such a hard time planning things out?

We got ice and more snow yesterday Looks like 1/4" of ice under about 5 or 6" of snow, so when you get the snow shoveled up, you slip even easier So, I'm gonna have to go take care of more shoveling and put the DS behind the snowblower

Take care everyone! Have a great evening!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #59  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Thalstead!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #60  

Thalstead, welcome and good luck !