Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-16-2006, 07:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/115

Height: 5'4"

Default anyone doing martial arts?

Hum, I was toying with the idea of taking up some kind of martial arts. Not only am I un motivated, but I never seem to do anything for myslef really. It always seem tobe for my son, or my husabnd, whom I both love. But I need something for me.
tummytrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:18 PM   #2  
Headbanger

S/C/G: 225/218/180

Height: 5'9"

I am not taking martial arts, but I started taking a boxing class last week at a real boxing gym that I really enjoy. I am having a lot of fun and get a great workout too. I encourage you to at least take a couple classes to see if you enjoy it.
RockerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

yes! :-D

I am taking TaeKwonDo and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! the one thing I love about my school in particular - which hopefully all schools (or DoJang's are like)...even though I'm 27 years old and there ARE a TON of little kids there - and black belts half my age...I never am made to feel as if I "suck" to say. We have students at my school from all ages, races, creeds, etc...and everyone is so incredibly helpful and make you feel so welcome! There are white belts that are half my age and also white belts that are TWICE my age!

I'm currently a green belt (which is the 4th belt at my school - I still have another year and a half to get to a black belt...) and I will also tell you, I am one of the most UN flexible people around. I honestly can not touch my toes if i'm sitting and i have my legs out in front of me. BUT i have very strong kicks and I love doing the forms. I absolutely suggest TaeKwonDo to anyone. It's a GREAT workout and once you start really learning the forms and all the "stuff" that goes along with TKD - and you "graduate" to each new belt - it just makes you feel so wonderful. Plus - the self-discipline as well as the self-defense you learn. It's just all around one of the best decisions I've ever made.

and, we have parents who JUST started whose kids are (teens/pre-teens/under 10) already black belts and they (the parents) are just NOW starting as a white belt (your basic first belt).

I def. suggest calling around to different Do-Jang's (schools) and you can go and check them out for a class - sit in, on the sidelines, and watch to see if you like it or not. Plus, there's alwayd other types asides from TKD - but I prefer TKD.

good luck!!
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:46 AM   #4  

I really recommend Aikido, it's a great martial art for all ages; what i really like about it is that it has non-violent moves, that is non-offensive, it has only defensive exercises, which are really great and efficient by the way; it's actually quite fun! and a very social sport; it is usually done in pairs(except for the warm up and even that has some pair ex), and you have to take care of your partner, to learn to have patience, respect, to concentrate..; it is said that people with violent tendences improve greatly after 6 months of Aikido;
I suggest you go to some dojo and just sit and watch a training session; it is very important to choose the right Dojo and the right sensei; there is not only one definite type of Aikido, there are slightly different methods of training and philosophys and aproaches, depending on the professor; that is why I really recommend you watch some sessions and the mood in the dojo and the relationship between the sensei and the others and the general atmosphere; I say this because I have met some really great persons in the dojo and a really good sensei, and it can become a great social circle, that is why you should find the right one for you;
cheers

P.S. it's great for weight loss and EXCELENT for a good health!!!!
maiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:06 AM   #5  
No description available.

I concur with everything IndyChick said about TKD. I LOVE it. I have had to take a small hiatus due to back-to-school craziness, but it is such a blast. Great exercise and cameraderie. Goals to work toward. Fabulous support! And I love to kick and hit things and yell in a socially acceptable environment!

Go for it!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm thinking about starting some martial arts later this year or early next year. We'll see. I looked into Aikido but the closest Dojo isn't very convenient.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote