Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #1  
Cute n' curvy.

S/C/G: 270/270/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Too much belly fat and I hate exercise.

So does everyone else, right? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to lose belly fat. I have a lot (lol) so I need all the help I can get. I drink a lot of soda and I KNOW that is the cause. I'm cutting down, though. It's hard. I'm so addicted!
turkeysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 02:56 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Unfortunately we cannot spot reduce... Read the Top Ten Exercise Myths... in particular number 1 ....

I also must add that NOT everyone hates to exercise, I for one don't, it's just a matter of getting into the habit, plus finding something that you enjoy doing, it gets easier with time and as you get fitter...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #3  
Cute n' curvy.

That's true. I know there are people out there who enjoy. I love walking, but I have zero motivation. It's my laziness that always gets the best of me. Thanks for the link, Ilene!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

What do you want more?To be lazy or lose weight.You can't have it both ways.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #5  

I was fatter than you when I started exercising. What I did was made a strategy to stick at it for 6 weeks, then if I really hated it, I could give up.

Well my 3 x 30 minute sessions got longer, then turned into 4, then 5, then swimming on days off from the gym. then I supplemented the free gym at work with joining a regular gym.

I'm hooked. I adore exercise now. Even though I have "only" lost 64lbs, I look as if I have lost more. I have dropped 6 dress sizes (from a UK 28 to a UK 16) And, i can do stuff I never dreamed possible for me, like running.

OK you may not become an exercise junkie, but if you keep telling yourself you hate it, you have no chance. Your body was made to move, your laziness and inaction is learned behaviour, and with time, discipline and finding some fun ways to move your body, you might find that you enjoy the rush and feeling of accomplishment that exercise gives.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 145/138/120

Height: 5'5

Do you have an iPod or mp3 player? I cannot survive without mine. They make workouts soooo much better. If I am walking around on campus listening to mine and a good song comes on, I always feel an urge to run. I just have to make sure it's charged because if I am in the middle of a workout an my iPod dies...I seriously just leave.
MaryKate'sPillStash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150 / 150 / 130

Height: 5 feet

Hi,

since i have been excercising, the one thing that I have noticed that my tummy went down and all of a sudden I have got pudge! I think my boobs are gonna disappear before my tummy will! I think Ilene is right, it is hard to loose in spots. For me I realized that I really like aerobics and that is what has helped me keep off some of the pounds.
jprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I have to find ways to keep me motivated to exercise. Not so much now as I did, as after over 3 years of this, I'm finally getting to where exercise is coming more natural. But I could STILL easily slip back to couch potato mode if I'm not extra careful. If I find I haven't exercised in 2 or 3 days, I find a different exercise or something to get me motivated and interested in it again.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:44 PM   #9  
Cute n' curvy.

Wow. You guys are getting me motivated. I'm going to force myself to get up early tomorrow and walk around the park before I have to go to work. I used to love walking, but that was 60 lbs. ago. It's harder now, but I found my groove then. I just have to get it back (like Stella ... remember that movie?).
Old 07-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

That's what we like to hear Turkey , get UP off that couch and GO
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:30 PM   #11  

Yeah, go for it. I used to be lazy and unmotivated...until I found out my insulin resistance had finally turned into full blown diabetes. If I had not been lazy and been exercising, who knows...I may never have crossed that line. Now I LOVE to work out. I walk, do water aerobics, and some weights...and I am constantly amazed at the good things it does to my blood glucose levels, as well as my overall well being. I feel stronger and healthier than I have in years. Find some way to motivate yourself, cause it is SO worth it.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:29 AM   #12  

If you can't get in the mindset of "must workout now", maybe you could find some activity that involves exercise that you'll want to do.

I hate the gym. I don't ever go and work out. This doesn't mean that I'm inactive. I take 2 or 3 dance classes, I dance socially (swing), I walk everywhere, and I just bought a bike. The only thing I use the gym for is swimming. I might lose more quickly if I went and lifted weights every other morning but that sort of thing doesn't really work for me so I find ways to fit activity into my life so that I will enjoy it and want to keep doing it.
Flying Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I grew up thinking exercise and sports were bad words. It took a long time for me to learn to enjoy anything like that.
Have you read the adage "eat less and move more" around here. It's really that simple. You don't need a gym or video's or fancy equipment to get started. I walked ... that's all ... for about 30 lbs.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 08:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 211/180/140

I really hate to exercise myself and have to force myself to do it. That is, until I got a couple of belly dance DVD's. Now I can't wait to do the DVD every day and really look forward to it. I am planning on getting a few more DVD's so I can mix up my rotation. I am going to look for a few more dance, (not just belly dance). I love DVD's because I can do them at home in private and if I mess up, no one knows but me and my cats! I do them when I am home alone, and love it!

Just have to find something you enjoy doing, and you will want to do it and not see it as exercise!
Lynneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 09:14 AM   #15  
Going Hard in the Paint!

S/C/G: 238/238/160

Height: 5'7"

It takes time to develop a love for exercise. However, your motivation has to come from your desire to lose weight. We have to exercise to do it. If we could *think* ourselves slim, without any exercise, I would probably look like Nicole Ritchie right now! LOL! However, it takes more than thoughts and desires. We have to put them into ACTION!

STOP the negative thoughts. Replace it with "I LOVE exercise!" or "I've achieved so much in life. This is a new challenge for me. I CAN DO THIS TOO!" Join one of the challenges, such as the 21 day challenge or one of the walking challenges. Before you know it, especially as the pounds start falling off, you'll look forward to exercise!
REDEFINITION is offline   Reply With Quote