Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #1  

Question Eating and exercise??

I prefer to do my exercise in the AM but sometimes life gets in the way and I do it at night. My question is do you eat before or after you exercise and if you eat before what kinds of things do you eat? How long after you eat do you exercise. Does it matter?

Theresa
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #2  

When I used to exercise in the evening, I would have a snack between work and exercise, because I didn't want to be bouncing around on a full stomach. Then when I came home, I would have a small dinner 1/2 to 1 hour afterwards. As long as I stayed within my total calorie range, it didn't make any difference.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

If I am exercising in the morning I usually eat something light.. exercise and then have breakfast. If I am exercising in the afternoon I do the same. It's only late evening that is different.

After doing cardio sometimes I am really hungry so I always save something for after cardio ...so if I exercise later in the evening I usaully eat a light dinner and then eat again after exercise. But this is only if it's cardio. I could eat cardboard I'm so starved sometimes.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #4  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

When I started exercising in the morning I didn't eat anything until I'd finished, then I'd have a big breakfast straight after. Now I've really increased the amount and intensity of my exercise it depends what I've got planned. On days where I have a hard cardio workout (like this morning's 8 mile run) I will have something, whether it's a quick snack before I go out or taking an energy drink along with me. I also have a light snack (70 calories or so) if I can tell when I get up that I'm a bit hungry, even if my workout isn't too intense.

I always eat after though, no matter what I've eaten before
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I eat before and after. Before exercise, I eat 1 or 2 egg whites stuffed with hummus, or 1/2 c ff cottage cheese and some berries. It comes out to about 150 calories. I eat a bigger meal after I exercise. When I first started exercising, I didn't eat before and noticed that my energy was flagging. Once I started eating something before, then I had more energy and could lift heavier, do more cardio, etc. Like YP1, I ALWAYS eat after. My trainer gave me an article that said that the most important meal is the after-workout meal, and I've taken that to heart.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I eat before and after also... Before I exercise I usually try to have oatmeal and eggwhites... I eat, get ready, go exercise, I guess this is half an hour before I actually exercise... When I come back I with have a protein shake with strawberries, usually within the hour after my workout....The only time I don't eat is when I exercise at 5am...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote