Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #106  
Live..Laugh..Love..

S/C/G: 248/241/223

Whoops...I forgot to post last night.
Days that the steps or miles were logged: Sunday 3/26
Steps/miles for that time: 6450 steps
Total number of steps/miles, to date in the challenge: ?
Sorry I'm so late posting ...
Will have more miles tonight! See ya then!...Blyn
BlynC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 02:46 PM   #107  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Sorry, ladies. I think I'm going to have to drop out. You're all posting more miles per day than I can manage. You've got miles... MILES... in before I've even awakened for the day. 5... 6... 7 miles by 5am -- it's just way too much for me.

I know it's a collaborative effort but I don't think I can pull my weight with this group. I also can't keep up all with the posting. I don't know how you all do it and all before 5am. I am so not a morning person.

I'm feeling too much pressure to do more than I feel capable of. To do more than I *want* to do. I know it's internally-created pressure, but it's pressure nonetheless. Pressure is something I don't want, because I know how I am. If I feel too much pressure, I'll burn out and then I just won't do anything at all.

So, I wish you all the best of luck and I'll just do my little bits of casual walking on my own at my leisurely pace. Have fun!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #108  

Lena, you shouldn't go. I'm sure that it isn't a big deal that you don't do as much as the other people. I know some people here wear a pedometer and post their daily mileage. I'm starting the Couch to 5K and going to post that. I used to be a runner, but had to take a few years off. Believe me, my mileage isn't anywhere near what it used to be. No matter how much (or little!) I do, I'm using this as a motivator to get off my butt and out there, supplimenting my other workouts. I'm sure no one has a problem if you contribute 1 or 10 miles a week. I know I don't.
Odaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #109  

I clocked 3.5 miles jog/walk this morning. It was nice here, but windy again. I'm not used to this Canadian prairie winds. If anything, it gets me moving faster to get my butt indoors.
Odaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #110  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

I think 2640 steps per mile is more accurate than 2000 as the average female walking stride is 2 feet.
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:26 PM   #111  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

USING YOUR HEIGHT TO CALCULATE STRIDE these are rough estimates:

Individuals will have various strides, but this is one way to measure estimated stride length by your sex and height.

Females: your height in inches x .413 equals your stride length

Males: your height in inches x .415 equals your stride length

Examples

Male: 6’0” ft. = 72inches x .415 = 29.88 or 30 inches (rounded)

Female: 5’ 7”ft. = 67 inches x .413 = 27.67 or 28 inches (rounded)

Female 5’ 4”ft. = 64 inches x .413 = 26.43 or 27 inches (rounded)

How to calculate stride using your pedometer:

Using the examples above, i.e. 30 inch stride, you will need to convert that to feet to enter into the pedometer, as it uses feet or centimeters. Since many people are more comfortable using the standard vs. metrics measures:

Male: 30 divided by 12 (inches) = 2.5 feet as rough average stride length. You enter 2.5 feet

Female: 27 inches divided by 12 (inches) = 2.25 feet as rough stride length. You enter 2.25 feet

Female: 28 inches divided by 12 (inches) = 2.33 feet as rough stride length. You enter 2.33 feet

To calculate # of steps per mile:

5,280 (feet in a mile) divide by your stride length in feet.

Using the two examples above:

Male: 5280 divided by 2.5 = 2112 strides per mile

Female: 5280 divided by 2.25 = 2346 strides per mile

Please check your pedometer settings periodically and adjust as needed.
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #112  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Oh Lena, don't go! You're not the only one who's not even awake before most of the others have miles in. I haven't even gotten a mile in yet today Don't be discouraged! You and me can hang back while the others are up front. Slow and steady wins the race, eh?
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:00 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lena -- I 4th the don't leave! I'm not going to be able to log as many miles either-- I'm doing it for the comraderie! A way to make the walking more fun -- something to think about WHY I'm walking!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:15 PM   #114  

Lena, every mile counts! I just don't have the time to walk very far everyday, but it's fun to follow the trip and help move it along even a tiny bit...
Today I can add 3 miles, but I totally blew off housework just to do it..my norm will probably be 2 miles.
Misti, I USED to live in Seattle! I drove along the 90 to the 82 frequently to visit my husband in eastern Oregon. (long story)
I went to college in Buffalo, so I'm looking forward to that part of our trip too!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #115  
Chris, a chick on track!

S/C/G: sz 24/sz 20/sz 14

Hi everyone! Sorry to have been slacking today, I am not up to full speed again quite yet. I didn't get a chance to check in before work and can't log in there either. I actually have to run, bit wanted to say HI! I'll post totals later today, unless one of you ladies can't stand the suspense and wants to tally. Chat with you in a few hours, after the little one is sleeping.
HealthierMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #116  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Default Don't Leave Lena

Oh, please don't leave! Every bit counts, and I'm not doing too much either. The only reason I am up at 5am is that it is the only time of day that I have just for me. I have 3 kids, 2 dogs and a navy hubby. I sometimes would rather do anything than get up, but it is my only time just to myself with only my MP3 player for company. Don't let your mind pressure you. I know that it happens like that, but no matter how much you do, it'll be a great trip, and we won't leave you behind.

Dee
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:01 PM   #117  

Height: 5'8.5"

Lena... no no no, please don't go! It isn't a matter of how MANY miles you get and we certainly don't want anyone overpressured! And if the posting is too much it is fine if you just post once a week or whenever you feel you can. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa please don't leave us!!!

And Lydia, no you don't have to hang back nor does Lena. It is our TOGETHER mileage we are going by. We need people to feel welcome here if they just get a few steps when they can!! It's NOT a race!

Lena you CAN'T go... we will send a cyberposse after you LOL. And we have enough walking to do without having to get on our cyberhorses to chase anyone down!!! If you leave this is what I will do!!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 03-27-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #118  

Welcome to Paula and Smart!!! Yay good to have you here!!

Smart, thanks for the data. We do realize that people walk at different strides but a LOT of us don't want to do all the calculations, program our pedometers if we have them, etc. I'm one of them LOL... my pedometer would measure my personal stride length but no way on earth am I going to get out there and measure it and try to program it in LOL... It is FINE for those who want to do that; but we all agreed that for others we would use the 2000 steps per mile. It isn't meant to be a scientific calculation; just fun!!

Great that you have joined us!!

And Paula -- yay another West Coaster here!!! So glad you signed up and will get to see the country with a closer view than in the air.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 03-27-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:11 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I walked 1.6 miles on the treadmill today, so I'll count that!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:34 PM   #120  

Well I took my ped back to the store today and they replaced it so I can update. However, since I have decided to keep it on until I go to bed and I am on the West Coast, mine will not be "up" until late.