Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'6

Question How long till it shows??

I know I am being impationt but how long till your workout results and diet results start. I have been doing 30 mins every day for about two weeks and I have been on a 1500 cal. eating lifestyle change(diet) for at least a month or even two.. But My clothes seem to be getting tighter not looser. And I am getting discouraged... When I exersise I know I am working out hard. Becuase in a book I read it said this is how you know if you are working out moderetly or intensely.. If you can carry on a conversation but not sing it is moderate.. If you can talk in short bursts it is intense.. I do sprints on my recumbant bike.. Fast for 5 then slower for 5 for about 30 mins.. I end up with 5 miles or more.. Two days a week I walk for 30-45 mins just to break it up... I have lost 5 but i think it was just water weight becuase my clothes are not looser or anything like that. IF any one has any advice I would love to hear it and try it...But remeber.. I am very new so I cant just start runnin and stuff.. HEHE
chloriform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #2  

I think you're off to a great start, but you've got to be patient. Keep it up and I'll bet in 2 weeks you'll start noticing a difference. Good luck!
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #3  

I started the same weight as you. I think it was about 20lbs and 10 weeks before I could notice a change, that's when I dropped my first size. Then things really started to change, and almost every fortnight I noticed something new.

If you haven't done so already, get your tape measure out. When you exercise and reduce calories, the scale changes can be slow, but there are big changes happening in your body. I have lost over a foot from 7 measurement sites across my body. The tape measure has saved me from major discouragement on several occasions.

It took a long time for your body to get into the shape its in now, and its gonna take a while for it to adjust to the lifestyle changes and to show the effort you are putting in. Keep going, you'll be fine!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #4  

Thank you guys for the help.. I just tried on pants today at walmart and they were lowriders and they didnt fit so it caused me to go nutzo..
Old 03-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Everyone is different and there are so many variables.

You say you are eating 1500 calories per day. But what kinds of food ... nutrient-rich or low-cal processed? It is not quite as simple as "calories in, calories out"; what your calories consist of makes a difference.

Regarding your exercise, I would suggest at least one planned rest day per week. I would also add some resistance training to firm you up and speed up your metabolism. And keep at the cardio; continue to add time and/or intensity so you challenge your body.

It took me close to 3 months to notice any changes in the way my clothes fit and my weight (in fact I gained about 4 pounds during that time). But I went through a lot of trial and error with food. Also, I was making a lifestyle change for my health and just kept at it.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Since you're about the same weight I was at my heaviest, maybe you'd like to hear how I did it.

As far as movement...I started out doing a lot of WALKING - but not just walking around the block. The town I live in has a lot of hills (very high hills some of them). I would load my walkman with some really great tunes, put on my walking shoes and just get out there and walk those hills! I'd be totally sweaty when I came back - I didn't keep track of time or distance though, I just walked as much as possible. I also worked at an office which was located on Stanford University property (up past Alameda) which is also very hilly - at lunch I would do the same thing - put on my walking shoes, grab some music and just get out there. I also started walking EVERYWHERE - rather than taking the car, unless it was too far away. This is something I still do today. Walking whenever possible.

I also had one exercise video which I did a few times a week (low-impact aerobics) until it started getting boring - then I enrolled in a twice-weekly low-impact aerobics class at my local Park & Rec center which was a lot of fun - after the session was done I checked out Jazzercise which I fell in love with (did it for nearly five years). IMO you get a much better workout when you're doing it with other people in a group. Jazzercise is SO much fun no matter what your size or ability! And the energy from being with a group made me work out harder.

Eating - I think SF40 has it down. It's not just 'quantity' but 'quality' of food. I really believe, especially as I'm getting older, that people tend to focus way too much on the scale/looking good aspect of weight loss and not on the HEALTH issues. Health issues meaning nourish your body with healthy foods - you can eat fifteen hundred calories worth of crap or you can nourish your body with fresh veggies, fruits, whole grains, lean protein (with occasional treats - but I wouldn't advise making a habit of buying all that Snackwells' crap and calling it 'healthy' eating). Above all be patient, consistent, and persistent - that's the secret (not really a secret!) of permanent weight loss!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #7  

I eat pretty well.. At least I think so.. I have changed a few things.. But I am not really a big eater.. I work as a hair stylist so I stand all day and sometimes I cant eat all day either.. So I have to work at getting all my calories in.. I have stopped eating Mayo.. And now I eat mairicle whip light.. I do not drink sodas at least not regular ones. I drink diet some. I like to by things that have the portions already mapped out for snacks and stuff. I cut down the red meat for once-twice a week. Started getting wheat bread instead of white.. Just little changes like that. I cook some and we go out to eat some.. I just cant eat like tofu and veggie burgers. If I force my self to eat those things I will just quit like before. I am trying to think of it as a life style change instead of a diet..

Oh another question.. Does turning up the resistance on my bike do anything?? I really enjoy my bike.. Since I live in FLorida it is hott LIke 100+
9mths out of the year other wise I would walk. BUt my garage is all set up like my own little exersize room I love it. I have a tv and a dvd player I am going to get some little wieghts to do some with.. But somebody told me if you start wieghts to early when your big like me it makes you bulk on top of you fat.. Causing you to get bigger.. I dont think that is true...
Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #8  
1 day at a time

S/C/G: HW300/283/241/160

Well I started at 283 I so far lost 30 pounds I just think it takes time for you to noticed any change. I noticed changed but, I also liked that others noticed the more that others noticed to more I noticed. My jeans started to fall off. I also had more energy. You cant rush it at all you also have to think positive and love what you do to get yourself there. It will take time I still have 93 more to go and I just have to be patient and live to live and love myself now before I get down to my goal and then feel worst. But, take care and think positive it will take sometime.
Lesa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloriform
I eat pretty well.. At least I think so.. I have changed a few things.. But I am not really a big eater.. I work as a hair stylist so I stand all day and sometimes I cant eat all day either.. So I have to work at getting all my calories in.. I have stopped eating Mayo.. And now I eat mairicle whip light.. I do not drink sodas at least not regular ones. I drink diet some. I like to by things that have the portions already mapped out for snacks and stuff. I cut down the red meat for once-twice a week. Started getting wheat bread instead of white.. Just little changes like that. I cook some and we go out to eat some.. I just cant eat like tofu and veggie burgers. If I force my self to eat those things I will just quit like before. I am trying to think of it as a life style change instead of a diet..
You already know it's important to eat enough ... it sounds funny but you have to eat to lose. What are your snacks? Those could be empty calories. Make sure you get enough lean protein (fish, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork, eggs, cottage cheese) and lots of veggies ... that really made a big difference for me. I snack on raw veggies all the time, sometimes plain and sometimes dipped into small amounts of hummus, light cream cheese (Laughing Cow herb & garlic), or peanut butter. And you have the right idea to make this a lifestyle change and not a diet. It might take some time for you to figure out what works for you. It took me several months.

Quote:
Oh another question.. Does turning up the resistance on my bike do anything??
YES!

Quote:
But somebody told me if you start wieghts to early when your big like me it makes you bulk on top of you fat.. Causing you to get bigger.. I dont think that is true...
Probably not. At least it didn't happen to me. I still haven't lost a lot of "weight" but I look so much better. I would start lifting now! I mean, might as well start firming up now so you look great when you reach goal weight, right??
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:38 PM   #10  
Jolie

S/C/G: 234/232/150

I am exactly like you in that aspect. I started my healthy lifestyle (it's nicer than DIET) a week and a half ago. Five days a week I work out for at least two hours. I do at least two of the following : one hour spinning, one hour yoga or pilates, and/or one hour weight training. I have also cut my calories from nearly 3,000 a day (YIKES!!!) to 1500 a day. I simply eat foods that are better for me and carry yummy snacks at all times. I am one of those people who feels a sudden swell of hunger when driving. The snacks help me not to stop at a fast food place. I really enjoy the food I eat, I love the exercise, I feel ten times better, but my pants and shirts still don't fit any differently, and I've only lost one pound. I'm just soooooo impatient! I have started my own reward program, though. Each time I hit my goal exercise and food for the day, I get to take 15 minutes in the tanning bed the next day. When I lose 15 pounds, I get a pedicure. When I lose 30, I get a massage, and so on. When I lose my full goal weight, I get a tummy tuck (to get rid of all the stretch marks left from my son) and a breast lift, and if I need it, reduction (I breast-fed, and they sag to my belly button now). This helps me not to be so impatient, especially the daily rewards.
joliebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:26 AM   #11  

Quote:
Thank you guys for the help.. I just tried on pants today at walmart and they were lowriders and they didnt fit so it caused me to go nutzo..
Oh, I hear that! I did the same thing a week ago. Went to Target and tried on some cute pants that were a size smaller than normal. They would have fit, except they were really, really low rise, and all the fat that puffed over the top (muffin top, for sure!) just made me sick. I drove my husband nuts on the way home (2 hours) with my insecurities. I felt like I've been eating better and working out religiously, and even though I've lost a few pounds, I still have so much flab! I felt like it was never going to change!

I finally told myself that if I keep doing what I'm doing, there's no way that flab can hang around forever. And I don't think I could go back to just lounging around on the couch and eating whatever I wanted even if I wanted to, so I might as well keep going.

Hang in there. I bet you'll notice lots of changes all at once.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 PM   #12  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Default If you strength train...it will happen.

Seriously...patience is essential. It will happen. You will see results.

Cardio and weight training need to go hand in hand. I learned that the hard way. When I started out I was doing no exercise, just eating better. I lost some weight, but it was mostly excess water. Then I started working out. Straight cardio at first and lost a couple of inches. Then I incorporated strength training and wow. After the first couple of weeks I lost 9 1/2 inches, then the next couple of weeks 8 3/4 inches then the next couple of weeks, 4 1/2 inches...And I have been consistently losing 2 lbs a week since I have been weight training. I know that's not typical and I know my good fortune will only last so long, but strength training is definately paying off for me.

I have some wonderful ladies on this board to thank for their great advice and motivation.

Don't give up and don't get discouraged. It will happen. Trust me. Keep up the great work you are doing. You deserve it!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198 (HW) 183 (SW) / 180 / 150

Grab a measuring tape!! You might not see it in the clothes because different cuts fit differently and so do different brands. But the tape won't lie, and lots of times you will lose inches when nothing else changes
Sassy8877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #14  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

I would like to offer some hope to those gals here who can't lower the cals they eat!
First off, I love food. I refuse to eat something that doesn't taste good because it is healthy for me, or not eat something scrumptious because it is NOT healthy for me.
However, by going to the gym 4 days a week on my lunch break, doing 15-20 minutes of strenghth (mostly crunch machines, inner/outer thigh and leg presses), then doing 10-15 minutes of cardio (mostly upright bike) and *slightly* watching what I eat, I have lost 3 1/2 inches in less than a month! I was shocked when I did the measuring tape! I have lost about 7 lbs in the past month or so, and will continue to keep on this schedule. Little by little, I am improving my diet (which is terrible to begin with), but if I want a hamburger, I'm going to have one!
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #15  
Domestic Engineer

Don't lose heart!! I started January 16th at 237 + and today weighed 218.8. My clothes are finally *just* getting looser- I was getting really frustrated too. But I know I've lost fat in my boobs (of course, lol) and inner thighs...and I know now that my fitness is finally at a decent level, I just really have to put the time in and have those good work-outs (and also eat well 90% of the time )
You can do it!! Just stay with it!!
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote