Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Question So confused about exercise!

Okay, you would think I would have all of this down pat by now, wouldn't you? LOL
So, I've been thinking...
What is the difference between INTENSE cardio workouts and just walking quickly for the same amount of time. Everyone talks about walking keeping you healthy and walking to lose weight. But, wouldn't it be better to do the intense cardio workouts and sweat your butt off? I really want to lost the last few pounds of fat and tone up. I have a bunch of Tae Bo stuff and just bought the Billy Bands. Those DVD's always kick my butt. But, I love walking too. Is walking just as effective as the Tae Bo? What is the difference?
I guess what it comes down to is that I'm confused as to how walking, which is not all that intense, has the same benefits as a heavy cardio workout where you feel totally spent afterwards!!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #2  

There are two types of cardio training- moderate long-duration, and interval short-duration. Both have their benefits, and should form part of your routine.

Moderate long-duration is brisk walking for anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour. This type uses glucose in the bloodstream, glycogen in the muscles, and fatty acids in the bloodstream. Because you are going moderately, or high moderately, you are not burning a high number of calories per minute, so you have to walk longer. Because you are not walking intensely, your cardio vascular system can keep up the pace for a longer time. This type builds endurance.

Intensity interval cardio training is of shorter duration because you are placing a high demand on your respiratory and cardio vascular system. You are also exercising your system to respond to a fast high demand. Your intensity should build as you become more conditioned. Your body creates energy in the same way, but because it is more intense, you burn as many calories in a shorter time. Intensity interval cardio should last from 20-30 minutes, and should be done no more than 3 times a week, unless you are in a specific training program.

Here is a chart that might be useful:

Intensity Time Calories burned
Low / light 60 minutes less than 3.5 per minute
Moderate 30-60 minutes 3.5 to 7 per minute
High / vigorous 20-30 minutes more than 7 per minute

I have never done Tae Bo, but I think it would place in the intensity range.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:02 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Like Belle said they both have a very good purpose and are both very useful. Do both, have fun don't sweat the small stuff, eventually the weight will come off... This has to be a "lifestyle" so don't stress too much...

On a personal note though, I MUCH prefer high intensity, it just feels like I've done more for my body, but this is just me...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I'm with Ilene. When I do high intense cardio, I'm FEELING it a lot, so it feels like I've done more for my body. But I love my walks with my b/f, too...
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote