Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #1  
Fat-be-gone

Default How do You Excercise, When You sit at a desk All day

Help me!!! I'm a receptionist and I sit on my butt allll day. With the few exceptions: getting and sorting out mail, making coffe in the kitchen, and trips to the restroom. Anybody have tips on how to put more activity into my daily routine. I do work out after work and take walks on my lunch, but I feel as if I could be doing more throughout the day. Thanks!!!
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #2  

I sent you a PM with a list of stuff to do at your desk. Hope it helps.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:47 AM   #3  

I work in a call centre, so I am stuck on my fat bum all day!!! I have an hour for lunch, and we are fortunate to have a gym as well as interesting walks to do. So I aim for half an hour exercise at lunch. And then I do an hour in the evening at the gym.

I try to make my weekends very active to make up for my sedentary job.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #4  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

Little things can add up during the day. For example, you can take the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car is a little further away then you normally do. If you take public transport, get off a stop before and walk.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #5  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Chair squats are something you can do throughout the day. Do 5-10 at a time and you'll have a firm bum in no time! I think I need to follow my own advice, lmao
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #6  
babiesgizmo2003

Hi Northerbelle,
I am new to this website and I love it. I was wondering if you would mind sending me a list too of things you could do at your desk. I would totally appreciate it. Lotsa Hugs
Peg
babiesgizmo2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:10 AM   #7  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I'm at my desk all day too, and I find if I let myself "sit" for too long, I won't have the energy to get up very often. I make an effort to make small trips every so often, or even just stand up in my cubicle for a few minutes while working on something. I don't imagine it burns too many extra calories, but it makes me feel more energized and makes me feel like I want to get out for that walk at lunch.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 09:58 PM   #8  
Paint The World P!nk

S/C/G: 323.5/262/140

Height: 5'9"

Any chance of the tips sent my way too, please? Thank you.
The using the stairs and parking car further away are good ones.
I can just about manage the stairs in work if I have to... when the lift broke down recently I had no choice... oh dear, me crawling the last 5 or 6 steps, it wasn't pretty.
Homersmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 PM   #9  
tch'd by his noodly appdg

I would also love a copy of that list of things that can be done while sitting at a desk all day...

I work in a call center and hate all the sitting I do!!
purple_monkey_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:12 AM   #10  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I get out for a run at lunch, I lift weights and go to kickboxing classes on an evening. But mainly get out at lunch time, it makes you so much more productive in the afternoon too!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

I too sit on my butt all day. and when i decided it was time to lose weight, i decided to walk on my lunch break. i walk a mile a day every day during lunch. I also try to add an extra lap (which is a tenth of a mile) to each week. I have been doing this for 4 weeks now. I am doing 13 laps at lunch this week. (i'm a lap behind). and i started back to the gym 3 times a week this week too. I am eager to get my weight loss on track. I have only lost 2 1/2 pounds this month. true, i may have gained some muscle like people at work tell me, but i want to see the numbers go down on the scale too.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:32 AM   #12  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

Default Me too!

Any chance you could post the desk exercises?

I just logged on (after doing 20 crunches and 20 jumping jacks in my office) to ask if doing those intermittently all day would be helpful, and here was this post!

BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:22 PM   #13  

Try and get up once every hour, even if it is only for stretching. When no one is around I do push-ups against the desk, squats over my chair. If you drink a lot of water you have to run to the bathroom all the time and I like to RUN there, which makes people think that either I am crazy or I really have to go!
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #14  

Hello Ladies,

I Am Another On The The But In The Office Allday. My Problem Is That I Dont Get A Lunch Break I Have To Stay In The Office To Handle Any Deals , In Return They Pay A Straight 8 Hours....sooo No Time To Get Up And Walk, Although I Have Made Legs Very Sore Just By Sitting In The Chair Doing Leg Raises Under The Desk, I Would Love To Hear Those Other Tips Though

Thanks Terra
EARTH2TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 AM   #15  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

if you can bring your own "chair" in -- I suggest bringing in a stability ball--merely sitting on it works your butt & back muscles as you try to maintain balance & you can squeeze in a few toning exercises every now and then when you have the chance.

Another thing is if you talk to co-workers, walk on over to their space instead of calling them up.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote