Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #1  
KitKatBahr

S/C/G: 285/229/145

Height: 5 ft, 7 in.

Default Has anyone ever walked/run a 5K?

Has anyone ever walked/run a 5K? What was your experience like? Any tips? I am getting ready for my first one in 3 weeks. I plan on walking, due to health issues, but I really want to be able to finish it. I posted on the support board and really didn't get any input.

Thanks.

Kathy
Merritt Island, FL
kitkatbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #2  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

ive done the leukemia walk, the hospice walk, and the memory walk this past fall... if u walk every day for exercise u wont have any trouble at all.. a 5K is equal to 3 miles more or less..

I loved it.. and it went by so quickly .. i was like what we are done already???

i just signed up for the relay for life in june.. that one you walk on a high school track but someone on your team has to be on the track walking at all times and it starts @ 6pm and goes all nite!
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Unless it's a super-serious runners' race, you'll find lots of folks walking or doing a combo walking/running. Just line up in back of the folks who intend to be running the whole time. I've walked or walked/run a number of races, and it's very common and lots of fun. Go and enjoy yourself.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #4  

I am interested in trying a 5k. Can anyone tell me how I can find out whether or not these are going on in my area? I have been looking online but I haven't been able to find anything. Thanks a bunch in advance!
nicole110424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:36 PM   #5  

try asking at any local gyms.
racegirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:58 PM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

www.coolrunning.com has a schedule of events in various places. I don't know where you are, but I just put 5K race schedules in Google and got lots of lists of races...
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #7  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Talking

What WaterRat said. I did the Couch-5K program, started in Nov 2005. It was great, I am running 3.5 mile now.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:07 PM   #8  
playin' for keeps

There's a web site called active.com (hope it's okay to list it here - if it gets sucked out, feel free to pm me). If you click on "individual sports", you can enter the type of race you're looking for (5K, 10K, etc.) and your zip code. It will list a good number of the events in your area, and will offer online registration for lots of them.

I've run 2 10K races now, and love it. I'd totally encourage you to walk a 5K. If you walk regularly for exercise, I think you'll be surprised at how well you do.

Good luck!!

cheers!
paula
cagirlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 09:45 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagirlygirl
There's a web site called active.com (hope it's okay to list it here - if it gets sucked out, feel free to pm me). If you click on "individual sports", you can enter the type of race you're looking for (5K, 10K, etc.) and your zip code. It will list a good number of the events in your area, and will offer online registration for lots of them.

I've run 2 10K races now, and love it. I'd totally encourage you to walk a 5K. If you walk regularly for exercise, I think you'll be surprised at how well you do.

Good luck!!

cheers!
paula
Thanks for the websites to you and WaterRat! I continued to look right after posting and actually found two coming up in my area, one in April and one in May. I am going to do them both. I am looking forward to it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
Old 01-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #10  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

A few years ago, I was living in Washington, DC and did the Annual Aid's walk. That was my first introduction in doing anything of this kind, and boy it def wore me out! I was such a rookie...LOL I def recommend shoes you are comfortable walking in, a CD player to listen to, and you're all set! If you get tired, like I did quite often, just go to the sides, rest a bit, and then continue on. NO biggie!
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:35 AM   #11  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Lining up behind the runners is a good tip - it will make you feel less discouraged if you don't have people overtaking you all the time! Find people who look like they'll be walking at roughly your speed and line up near them.

I have only done 1 5k but a couple of longer distance races, and the 5k I did was a big charity event with a lot of walkers, so I'm sure you won't be alone.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 301/280/175

I usually do the 5k for the race for the cure and and aids walk. I know if you look up certain causes they typically have events in the spring or fall - good luck.
ejb180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #13  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

I got a flyer for the Avon breast Cancer walk in DC... ummm its 39 miles dont think i am ready for that one lol but maybe next year!

One that I would really love to do but now its on hold becuz of the "homeland security issues" is the chesapeake bay bridge walk..

and my dream was to one day walk the c&o canal tow path (120 miles)
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #14  

I walked in a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving day. It was a 5k, 10k, and 15k event that included runners and walkers. They start the walkers in the back so that they don't get in the runners' way. If you regularly walk 2-3 miles at a time, you should have no problems at all. You need to decide ahead of time what your purpose is -- are you in it for the competition or just for the experience? For me I didn't care about my time, I just wanted to experience being in a race. Good thing, too, because my time sucked but I had a lot of fun! One thing - watch your water intake right before the race and make sure you go to the bathroom almost the last thing. Also, to find out about events, check with your local runners' clubs or running shops. A lot of running races will let walkers participate. Have fun!
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:56 PM   #15  

Great information! I haven't ever participated in one of these types of events before. I want to do it just for the experience of it so I don't much care about my time. I am going to do the two 5k run/walks I found in my area, with my son (he runs track so he may just end up leaving me way in the back somewhere). Hopefully, I will love doing it and will want to do many more. If that happens, then I will probably care about my time!