Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-22-2006, 01:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Default Getting your excercise in...

I was thinking today (yes, I know this is a dangerous activity) while I was at the supermarket that one way people could get a little more excercise in is to PUT YOUR CART WHERE IT BELONGS! I marched my cart up to the bin it belongs in instead of just putting it on the curb with the others. WOOT! Also, last week, I walked around the playground (laps) and kept an eye on the kids instead of standing and watching. WOOT.

Name some more simple and nontraditional ways to move more.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 03:37 AM   #2  
Gonna be skinny!

S/C/G: 240/224/140

Height: 5'5

LOL, i like that, my problem with walking is that its sooo cold out here and there isnt really anywhere for us to walk thats inside, we live on such a small base. We dont even have a mall around here. I wouldnt mind the cold myself but my youngest son has severe asthma and the allergens in this country are very difficult on him especially in the cold so i have adapted walking around my living room while i watch tv...lol. I have set it up since hubby is away for it to be a nice easy walking path around. Silly, huh?? I have an eliptical here at home but its pretty exhausting quickly since i am so out of shape so i add the walking each day around the house for as long as i can do it. ANything to keep from sitting though!
ladypeacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #3  

Default Tip 2

Buy a pedometer. Give yourself a goal. You'll find yourself walking needless steps (like when you are cooking) just to get those numbers up. Wear it all day. Set a goal for 10k a day. Mine is 15k a day (since I walk a lot at work). Wont be cardio, but you'll be moving more.

Excercise Tip 2# Take your kids to an indoor aquarium
Old 01-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #4  
One day at a time..

S/C/G: 264/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

It's funny you mentioned the aquarium. My fiance recommended the aquarium as a good place to take a walk. We live in Baltimore and they have a huge one with a brand new addition. It's perfect - he loves fish, I need the exercise
MizCandula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 11:04 AM   #5  

Default Tip 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizCandula
It's funny you mentioned the aquarium. My fiance recommended the aquarium as a good place to take a walk. We live in Baltimore and they have a huge one with a brand new addition. It's perfect - he loves fish, I need the exercise

OMG. I JUST moved to Maryland and that aquarium is the inspiration for the previous post.

Tip #3: Have a girls day out (or alone time) and shop for hours
Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #6  

Do the ironing downstairs and take each piece of clothing upstairs as you iron it.

Wash all the windows and dry them off with newsprint, you really have to scrub.

Leave your shopping trolley at the end of the aisle, collect what you need, walk back to trolley, then push it up the aisle, time consuming, but you get your steps in.

On your girly shopping day go to an unfamiliar neighbouring town, where you have to walk further to find your shops!

On your girly shopping trip be extra fussy and go to lots of shops to comparethings, then go back to the first shop to buy what took your fancy in the first place!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #7  

[QUOTE=kykaree]Do the ironing downstairs and take each piece of clothing upstairs as you iron it.

Wash all the windows and dry them off with newsprint, you really have to scrub.

QUOTE]

Wow! That might get steps in but NO fun! BTW, I don't iron or wash windows. Hhehehehe. It does tell me you have a clean house.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Park far away when going to the store.
Use the stairs, not the elevator.
While talking on the phone at home, do leg lifts. Works for stirring stuff on the stove, too.
Get a dog and walk it twice a day.
If you have an indoor cat, get a string and drag it along all over your house--you get exercise and so does your cat.
Sit on a stability ball while watching TV and do some core work.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #9  

Talking

I love my ball but my kids jump all over me so I have to get off. Tell a 2 year old that a ball is just for mom. I really should get him his own and then get back on mine.

Take your kids to an amusement park. Fun. Fun.

Go Bowling.

When you go to the park, swing with your kids. I actually do this occasionally at Recess (teacher).