Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Default Question regarding "the burn"

Hi there, I've been looking around the internet for an answer to this question and I can't find one that suits someone who LC's.

Whenever I do step aerobics (Hi Int.), within a measly couple mins, my legs are burning so bad it's not funny. Most times I can push past those initial mins., but around 10 mins. or so, I have to come off the step repeatedly for the burn to go away, but it comes back faster and faster each time I start to step again. Sometimes to the point where I just have to stop. I've been doing (or trying to) these video's for almost 2 months...how long does it take for this burn to go away?? It's starting to really tick me off as I would like to be able to get thru an entire step video on the step. No point doing step on the floor LOL.

Everything I've read online about this seems to apply to people who consume a lot of carbs & I'll copy one as an example
" When glucose is burned for fuel during exercise, it is broken down to a chemical called pyruvate. If you are working at a low enough intensity, sufficient oxygen will be available to easily convert pyruvate to carbon dioxide and water, which are removed by the lungs. When you are working at a very high intensity, however, there is not enough oxygen to convert all the pyruvate to carbon dioxide and water. The result is that some of the pyruvate is converted to lactic acid, which builds up in the muscles and overflows into the bloodstream. Lactic acid causes the "burning" sensation felt in muscles during high intensity exercise and also prevents muscles from working their best." http://www.webmd.com/content/article/43/1676_53084

I'm assuming it's ketones that I would be burning, but can't find anything not related to glucose. I'm on induction level for carbs, so I can't possibly be burning glucose?? Or am I?????

Anyone?? TIA!!
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #2  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

This is a great question as I have wondered the same thing myself. I can't wait to see the responses.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #3  

The burn you feel is definitely from lactic acid and you mostly likely are not completely depleted of glucose/glycogen even if you are following a low carb diet. Your body can create glucose from fat and protein if it is needed. But the real issue regaring your problem is your muscle fiber type. You probably have a large percentage of type 2 muscle fibers in your legs. This simply means your legs are well suited to short duration activities, such as weight training, and poorly suited for long duration activities, such as cardio. If you enjoy step aerobics, you can try using a very low step and taking short 10-15 seconds breaks as needed to allow your body to flush out and recycle the lactic acid. Also, consider strength training with short sets (60 seconds) and plenty of rest in between sets.
mlfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/150/150

Thanks so much for this information. I don't mind the step, but really, the only reason I do it is to get my heart pumping and my metabolism going. I fall back on WATP video's when the burn is too great, but they don't get my heart going the way the step does. I guess, psychologically, I don't feel like WATP video's give me a proper workout. And let's face it, if I'm going to work out, I want to burn as many calories as possible LOL. When I'm walking I feel like I may as well be sitting on the couch. Funny that you mention that about the muscle fiber type because I can weight train with no trouble - and I can also do Billy Blanks Tae Bo workouts, again with no problem in my legs. Thanks so much for that information also. I never realized there were different types of muscle.

Tea - now we both know .
gonna_be_150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 12:02 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Stacie -- My very first thought as I was reading your post was that you did not have proper shoes, because the pain or burn in your legs, reminded me of the pain and burn I used to get in my toes when I would jog. All this was corrected with proper fitting shoes, they do have aerobic specific shoes or you can get cross trainers that are good for a variety of exercises. What also helped me was getting orthotics for my running shoes and this straightened my whole leg so that even my knees felt better when I ran...

Hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote