Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #16  
Working My Way Back Down

Silverbirch - I'd say go for it! I have a larger MP3 player, and find it can be awkward for exercising - though I love it for everything else! I can put it down on the cardio machines, but when lifting weights, I have to clip it on my shorts/pants, and often find myself knocking it off - never mind that I catch the headphone cord all the time. The shuffle is a really nice little gadget. Do you listen to audiobooks now? I love them. If you use my name as referring you, I get a listener credit (how's that for a subtle hint? ) I'll pm you with my info.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #17  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Hey pat I posted the link!

JK...I don't really care..
As for the suffle for audible it is not a great deal. There seems to be an issure with bookmarking and finding where you are in your book and you loose your place and it is difficult to find where you left off in your book without a screen. You could get the shuffle and sell it, but it is not a good match for audible, seems silly that it is the free be and it should be good but it isn't. Get an ipod with a screen for books, you will end up wit one anyway and happy with it. The shuffle is great for working out with music on it though.

If you want some good information besides my words of wisdom you can check out the ipod lounge forums and look up shuffle and spoken word.

I have been a member of audible for 5 + years and think it is great. Fun to get started in audio book listening. and know Audible has some deal going all the time.

Amazon usually offers a deal on an ipod/ audible combo.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #18  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, well, yes you did! I

've only been with audible for just under a year, but I've listened to audiobooks on tape/CD for a long time. I just love it, esp when I listen while doing something mindless - like weeding or traveling.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #19  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

I'm officially getting frustrated with the server things--seems like half the time I write an email I have to do it a second time because the connection drops out.

OK, vent over, starting over.

I LOVE AUDIBLE too! I bought a video iPod shortly before joining audible so I gave the Shuffle to my niece and she just plays music on it. Interesting that it's not very compatible for the audiobooks. I wanted to keep the cute little thing for the gym, but that just seemed....greedy

I appreciate all the alternative suggestions to the earbuds; they hurt my ears too. Besides, I don't need to walk around saying "huh?" any sooner than necessary!
NowOrNever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:41 PM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Musician's consensus!!!

Apparently, Pete Townshend agrees with my husband about headphones...

Pete Townshend Says iPods Are Bad for You

Kind of a misleading title - it should have said "Pete T. warns of the dangers of listening through earbuds and headphones at high volumes" but that wouldn't have gotten so much attention now would it??

Quote:
Guitarist Pete Townshend has warned iPod users that they could end up with hearing problems as bad as his own if they don't turn down the volume of the music they are listening to on earphones.

Townshend, 60, guitarist in the 60s band The Who, said his hearing was irreversibly damaged by years of using studio headphones and that he now is forced to take 36-hour breaks between recording sessions to allow his ears to recover...
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:43 PM   #21  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJim
OK, I think my blood sugar is dipping this afternoon. My FIRST thought was "oh, oh, how many calories are in an iPod?"
Old 01-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #22  
Owned by Dixie

LOL NorN!

I also like audiofile magazine, my friend is the founder and editor so I will give her some kudos!

I have a shuffle too, got it with a CC signup and have yet to crack the box. I am going to give it to a school auction for the same greedy reasons and the nano is teny enough.

Ear buds are bad, lots of reports lately of teens with hearing issues from blasting music, also a lot of artical about stolen ipods recognisable from the headphone wire.

And pat if you want the referal please feel free, I have been a member so long I get 2 books a month for $13. That may change soon but still a good bargin.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:51 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Thanks for the headphone information, everyone! My DH got me some things to put around the earbuds, and that seems to work. After reading the articles, I've turned the volume down. I only listen while I work out so I limit my time, although it's usually 45-60 min. rather than only 30 min.

I still remember going to concerts in my youth and coming out with my ears ringing and unable to hear. Now I put in earplugs when I mow the lawn.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:45 PM   #24  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Accessories

I have an ipod shuffle that I absolutely love.. I could not imagine going to the gym without it

I love the earbuds... they never fall out of my ears and I hate wearing earphones, put me into the hearing damaged and minority who like them.

My question is this... accessories! I bought the sport case that is clear and orange and love it for walking but at the gym it is just too bouncy and the length of the earphone cord is too long..... I have seen people with the armbands and am now thinking of that, with the fear that won't work either... comments???? What does everyone else use with their ipods?

Nola.
Kanola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:52 PM   #25  
Half Dome Hike 2006!

Boy, I'm going to be bad at describing this I bet....I have a little case with a clip on the back. I have a video iPod and right now there VERY FEW options (like none of the stores yet have a holder with a clear window that will show the whole video window). I clip it to my waistband and find that as long as I get it on the right place on my hip, I cease to be aware of it through my aerobic and weight lifting workouts.

I've seen ladies with the armband holders. I think better for the small ones AND...with my big fat arms, I wouldn't exactly want to have to ask for the "armband extender' to get it to fit
Old 01-07-2006, 01:12 AM   #26  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I don't use a case at all for my shuffle, I just put it round my neck and go. When I'm on the treadmill I tend to put it in one of the bottle holders, and if I'm running outside I tuck it between the two tops I wear so it doesn't bounce around much.

I have a case for my proper ipod, but I'd never take that near a gym. My precious...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:31 AM   #27  
Working My Way Back Down

I have a Zen rather than an iPod, and it has a case that shows the whole display window, but I find the clip is not quite long/strong enough, and I have to be a little careful not to knock it off when it's clipped to my waistband. I also run the cord from my headphones down inside my shirt as I was catching it all the time. On the cardio machines, I put it in the bottle holder. When I use it for walking/mowing/weeding, etc. I usually have a pocket it fits in, or I clip it to my bra!
Old 01-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #28  

I had the same problem with the ear buds until my son grabbed them from me and put them in my ears. He kind of tilted them upwards and then gently slide them down and presto magic they stayed there! I jumped up and down and shook my head and nothing! He looked at me like "boy save me from old people". Made me grin and then I did a little dance for him and he groaned very loudly. Save me from 15 year old boys who know it all!
cybersis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #29  
Owned by Dixie

I am not sure you really need a case for the shuffle,I don't have a case for my husbands shuffle (which I confiscate on occation but for me I think that I am not sure I want to invest any more into the cost. but if ou are tucking it in your bra and it is going to get sweaty, I personally like the iskins. My mini (passed on to a teacher) and my new nano's both had a clip. it is easy to use, light weight and not as combursom (sp) as some of the others. As for the headphones, I never hang the wire in front and I run it through my cloths and clip my ipod in fron ot put it in the cup holder or my pocket.

the otter box opod http://www.watertightcase.com/ipodcaseseries.html makes A completly water tight case, execllent for the beach and boating and other warm weather activities.

For a little luxury vaja makes some wonderful leather case www.vaja.com

It is all personal taste.

I will say my favorite case and it is getting far more afordab