Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-16-2005, 12:28 PM   #1  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

Default 1st time to a gym! *nervous*

Tomorrow Im going to pay/signup for an annual off peak gym membership(offpeak=only before 4pm mon to sat)
And even thought I still think I should do it, doubt and nerves are setting in,
what If I do something wrong/stupid.
What if Im all huffy after 30secs on a treadmill. What if I embarass myself?
What if I cant hack it?
ekk!
did anyone else feel this way??tread:
anyone got any routines that I could do so that Im working out, but not looking a fool ? : Oh lordy!
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Good for you! I think everyone feels the way you're feeling when they first go to the gym. One thing to remember is that people are concerned about what they are doing, not what you are doing. I started going to aerobics when I weighed over 250, and people were very welcoming. I couldn't keep up, but that was okay--I did what I could.

If the gym offers a free orientation to the weight machines, be sure to take advantage of that. Weight training really helps with weight loss.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:51 PM   #3  
Cynical RedHead

Don't be nervous! You are doing a great thing for your body and your health.

If you don't know how to use something, ask a gym employee. They will show you how to use the equipment, and then you won't do anything "wrong/stupid."

If you are huffy on the treadmill, slow down!

As Sheila says, the other members are concentrating on their workout, not yours. So concentrate on what you are doing, not what anyone else is doing.

A lot of gyms here in the states will offer like one free session with a trainer. If your's does that, take advantage of it. Have the trainer set you up with an initial routine. Try to mix weights and cardio. Have FUN!!!
FishWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:05 PM   #4  

Now I'm wondering...How did it go at the gym? Did you conquer your fears and sign up? Let us know how you did. I'm sure it was fine!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #5  
44lbs gone!

No I didnt after I finish work and visited the banks and did some other stuff I needed too I didnt feel like it or have time.
I actaully went today but they were all closed for some courses enrollment thingy,
now doubt has really set in and I really dont think this is for me...
sorry
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 PM   #6  

How about just going to have a look? Can you sign up for a short period, just to try it out?
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #7  
Mel

Most gyms here will let you in for a visitors fee of about $10.00. If you can't talk them into letting you try it for a few days for free ( al ot of gyms will do that if they think you are serious), at least go for a day during the time that you'd normally be using the gym.

Don't be intimidated! Everyone is a beginner at some point. Everywhere I've looked includes an orientation session with a trainer. Take advantage of it and any discounted training sessions offered to new members. Ask questions, make sure you get a routine that is right for you. Some trainers will use this orientation as an opportunity to try to sell you training packages (hey, that's our job), but you can use it to make sure that you get the knowlegde you need.

Try again Gyms are a lot of fun once you get over the jitters. Mixing up cardio and weighlifting will make you feel and look better, and make dieting and then maintaining a whole lot easier

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:49 PM   #8  
44lbs gone!

I joined!!!
Yesterday I signed up and had my induction...!!!
I went this evening and it wasnt as terrible as I thought it was gonna be, even thought still intimidating, feels as thought Im the only one sweating and red and blotchy and the resistance area where the 'guys' are is intimidating, btu still plod online!
Yay!
Old 12-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #9  

GOod for you... trust me I know all about gym intimidation. I get intimidated all the time. My hubby is in the Air Force and so I go to the gym on base and there are some darn fit people in that place but, I just try to remember that they got that way from hard work and if I want to get there I have to work hard too.

When I first started going to the gym I weighed 220 lbs and would get red faced and out of breath after 10 minutes but 5 months and 45 lbs later I don't know when the last time my face was red and I have gradually built up to 1 hr of cardio. Trust me it gets easier every day.
luvshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #10  

I'm so proud of you for joining!

When my husband and I first signed up, I didn't want to go work out without him (weird, I know). Now I go almost every day while he's at work (I work from home so I can go during the day if I want), and I LOVE it! You'll get there, too.
hellcatjill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 PM   #11  

Same here. I was so intimidated I made my DH join with me. We went for 6 months. You eventually feel comfortable. I used to worry about what I was wearing and everything. But the truth is no one really cares. Everyone does their own thing and keeps to themselves.
Sunshine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #12  
44lbs gone!

Thanks everyone for ur encouragement, it seemed to to going well until dec 23rd I had a perticually awful and still decided to go to the gym which made me feel a little better, but I had this bad feeling as soon as I Walkedout tbhe front doors I saw no bikes, just my cut bike lock, I know you may all think this is just a bike, but I had had it ages, its was a decent lasting bike and what really gets me in 'the dogs dinner' is that I knew the car park was terrible for nicked bikes and broken into cars and was going to have my bike insured and get a better lock.
I reported the crime the next day, I havent been back to the gym. Im riding my Dads bike which is a man's bike with the alwful bar accross the top.
Its not like I didnt even use it, it was my mode of transport, everytime I think about it I just want to crap into a pit and die, ugh
and people mention small 'mercys' like me not being on the bike when was jacked, Well atleast I coulda fought for what is rightly mine?
I dunno, I have no faith in society
Old 12-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #13  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Angeleyez - that is terrible. I can quite understand you're upset. And when it's your mode of transport too, that just really rubs it in every time you go out. At least you've got your dad's to use, crossbar an' all! Remember, getting on and off gracefully is very good exercise!

Please don't give up on the gymn. Especially if it made you feel a bit better when you were there.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:09 PM   #14  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Default Do not be worried

Like countless others have said already the people at the gym are more concerned with themselves than with you. Most gyms will give you a tour and possibly give you a free session with a trainer just telling you how to do some basic things in the gym. One workout that you can make as hard or as easy as you want (good for beginners to test their level without worrying about looking foolish) is the following:

Treadmill w/incline

-Hop on and set the speed to about 3.0 (or whatever you can handle) and do a 5 minute warm up at 0 incline.
-After warming up start increasing the incline by .5 percent each 1 minute for as long as you can, keeping the speed at 3.0.
-Once you have gotten to as tough of an incline as you can handle start decreasing the incline by .5 every 30 seconds using the same 3.0 speed until you get back down to 0.
-The finish out a 5 minute cooldown at 0 incline and 3.0 speed.

***This workout can be really hard if you push yourself!***

If all else fails you should see if you can solicit any of your buddies to join with you!
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote