Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-01-2005, 06:10 AM   #1  

Default Bosu

Does anyone here use a Bosu?

I did a workout yesterday at Bally's and had fun, but it is very hard to balance. I was wondering how long it takes to learn balance and your experiences with it. It was a good workout.
chilichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #2  
one step at a time

I use one occasionally for a few exercises. Pushups with my hands at the edges of an upside-down BOSU (so the round part is on the floor) and occasionally squats with each foot on a different BOSU. I got used to it after a couple workouts. What kinds of moves were you doing with them? I'm always looking for new stuff!
HealthyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #3  

So what is a bosu?
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I love the Bosu ball .... I do lunges, squats, push-ups, deadlifts, and my new favorite is skipping on a Bosu! It is so soft on your knees you cannot believe it. I saw a girl at the gym jumping on one foot on one and then switching feet, that looked like fun too... I wish I knew more exercises on them ...

To answer your question it does take a while to get used to the balancing act, but once you get it it's the best thing to get your core fibre muscles strong to support your back, your abs, it'll help your balance on slippery sidewalks in the winter...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:37 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

This is a bosu...
Old 12-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #6  
Working My Way Back Down

Ilene - and anyone else - I have a Bosu pamphlet that came with some donated books to the library. I'll try and post some of the exercises tomorrow.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:47 AM   #7  

I did some sqauts with weights, shoulder press on it, used it to do ab cruncjes, flipped it over to do push ups and the cardio part used it like a step to do moves like marches, knee ups, leeg kicks etc... anything that you would use a step for. It was a fun workout, I just hope I cam learn some balance and not be so scared to hop on it.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:38 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

chilichick -- The hopping on it takes a few tries, but even as you are trying it's a great workout...

Pat -- I would love some ideas on more exercises on a bosu...
Old 12-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Today was crazy crazy at work, but I haven't forgotten. . .
Old 12-03-2005, 08:27 AM   #10  

Today I am going to the gym and I am going to do a warm up on the bosu before I do my weight machines. I am going to be brave and use it infront of all the people working out, but I have to start somewhere and all of them had to start somewhere as well. I love the gym, but it can be intimidating when you are overweight.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:02 PM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Chilichick -- on going to the gym now matter what!! You are absolutely right we ALL had to start somewhere...
Old 12-06-2005, 12:31 PM   #12  
Working My Way Back Down

Ilene - at last a moment to breathe! I'm looking at this book which is called The Great Balance & Stability Handbook, published by Productive Fitness Products, Inc., in Canada! (www.productivefitness.com) $10.95 ($8.95 US) It has lots (60 pgs) of well-illustrated exercises, to be done with the Bosu, a balance cushion, a wobble-board or an extreme-balance board. Here's one for you:

Split Jumps

1. Place your left foot about 2 feet behind you and your right foot on top of the Bosu.
2. Bending your knees, lower your hips straight down until your front knee is bent to 90-degrees.
3. Bring both arms back behind your body, then thrust upwards with your legs and arms, bringing both feet off the floor.
4. Come down to the left of the Bosu, absorbing the landing on the floor by bending your knees.
5. Repeat with the opposite leg. (This is me even attempting this!)

And for instance, the squat one (written for balance cushion, but giving Bosu as "also be done with") starts: place the cushion next to a wall, brace yourself on the wall as you step onto the cusion.

THese folks have a whole series of books including dumbbells, balls, and stretch tubing.

Last edited by WaterRat; 12-06-2005 at 12:47 PM.