Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #1  

Default More Cycling Advice, Please!

So, we've discussed how to make my bottom more comfy. Now I have a question about the other end. I need to get a helmet.

I'm clueless. There are a couple at Wal-Mart, but I don't know I would trust them with my life! I have no idea what I'm looking for. Most look like they came from the "Men In Black" costume department! Is there good on-line shopping? I really don't know what to look for!

Any info would be appreciated!

Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #2  

Default Helmet

Hi, I don't know where you got your bike but a good place to get a helmet is at a local bike shop if you have one near you. They can help you pick the right size and type. The other place that comes to mind is Dick's Sporting Goods (or any sporting goods store) if you have one of those.

I have really gotten into the biking over the past few years and love it. It's great exercise and it feels great to get outside to exercise. We have a lot of "rail trails" where I live which are paved bike paths that used to be RR tracks. It's great because you don't have to worry about the crazy drivers...

Good luck with your cycling!
Kabinkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #3  

Our closest sporting goods store is 40 miles away, but I have to go there in the next couple of weeks anyway to do some errands. I might check there when I go. I got my bike as a loaner from my in-laws.

Cycling is almost unheard of for adults in my area. And, the motorists act like you have NO business being on the road. So, I illegally drive on sidewalks when I can. Otherwise, we do not have a great place to ride. That's probably why I haven't taken it up before and transportation/exercise. But, I am enjoying it and some of the soreness from last weekend is already gone. Thanks for the tips!
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have a biking question too.
Is there any right or wrong way to put your feet on the pedals? Or is there any advantage to using either your toes, ball or arch?

I had a duh! moment on my bike this morning. The other day I was telling my son about this one long hill that almost gets the best of me some days. He said "That's when you stand up and put some muscle into it". I never thought another thing of it.
Today I was just about stopped part way to the top when I thought about what he'd said. So I stood up in a last ditch effort to not have to get off and push. By golly, it was great! Duh!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote