Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-17-2005, 08:21 AM   #1  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Default Going to a GYM

My 9 year old daughter just asked me last night about getting a GYM membership. Mostly so she can go swim, etc. I had thought seriously about it, about a year ago, when I attempted to lose weight (fell off the wagon hard, but am back on now.) I had reservations about it then, and I still have those reservations.

1) Too many people versus equipment?
2) I'm fat, so I'm afraid I'd look ridiculous
3) Money- are they expensive? (I know, I should just call), but I thought I'd see if you loverly ladies had 2cents you wanted to borrow me on the subject.

My biggest issue is my weight, obviously, and exercising in front of buff, great looking people. I would feel so self conscious. This is the main reason I haven't even called yet.

Do you have any positive/negative experiences you'd like to share? Am I worrying for nothing? Are these just ridiculous thoughts in my head?
AnnieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 AM   #2  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Oh yeah, the gym I would be calling is "Lifetime Fitness." There are several in the Twin Cities area, and there is one about 2 miles from my home.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:08 AM   #3  

Annie,
1) Too many people versus equipment?
Lifetime is a huge gym so it probably won't be a big deal. They usually have limits to how long you are allowed on the equipment. The only really busy times are before work 5-8am and after work 4pm-7pm.

2) I'm fat, so I'm afraid I'd look ridiculous
I too am fat, I was fatter when I started at Bally's. No one is really looking at you. They are worried about themselves. Most of the people aren't that buff either. Once you become a regular it is nice because people will notice the change in your weight and comment on it. It feels especially good coming from the other gym people. They know how much work you have put into it.

3) Money- are they expensive?
It depends on the gym and the plans the have. Either way, to me it is worth it. I would give up lots of extras to pay for my gym membership. It keeps me more accountable.

Good luck, whatever you decide!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:25 AM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I had considered an exercise program myself and looked at Ballys. I picked Curves for now until the baby comes and will do a gym later when I can get back to running and make good use of the treadmill. Bally's was $100 to $150 sign up (don't recall the exact figure) and I believe $34 a month membership fee. I don't know about Lifetime Fitness, but Ballys is a large gym with everything imaginable and probably pricier than others. But you can pretty much figure it's going to be $100+ startup and around $30 per month. Even Curves was $150 startup (but I got that half price) and $29/mo.

As for the equipment, they have loads, and they have 30 minute limits. If gyms keep their customers waiting on equipment, they wouldn't stay in business, so they all have some way of managing it with time limits and such.

There are all types of people who go to gyms. Those "buff" people we all worry about LOL, those trying to keep their figures, and those working on getting their figures back. You won't be the only self-conscious person there, even though it may feel that way. And frankly, the person next to you may end up being some of your best support. I used the small gym provided by my apt. complex and found that to be true there. My treadmill buddy, while she could outpace me 10 to 1, and was sleek as a gazelle, she was very proud of what my 200+ lb frame was doing and that I was sticking with it. She gave me encouragement and pointers.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:25 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Good points from everyone. Lots of gyms have special deals in the summer, esp on the joining fees. And I've found that the only really buff people at my gym are the high school guys and they are so wrapped up in themselves they don't even notice anyone else! At my gym couples/families have a rate that is less than double the single rate, too.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 02:51 PM   #6  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I joined a gym at 260lb so you're not too fat! Nowhere near.

You may not be able to do too much at first, but your fitness will increase rapidly if you stick at it. And if anyone gives you any looks ask yourself whether they could do half of what you're doing if you gave them a huge fat suit. And smile to yourself at the thought of them in a fat suit

The expense was a big shock to me when I first started going, but it has been so worth it.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #7  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I have been to 5 different gyms since I was about 13. Each one has a different personality I've found and so I think that your best bet if you`re worried about how you`ll mesh with it is to just go by and see.
Three of the gyms I've been to have been chains- like Gold's and I found that the membership there was not 100% beautiful, buff people. Most of them were just trying to get in a good work out for the same reasons as me. The gym I go to now is on my university's campus and unfortunately I've found that most of the people there are pretty buff and good looking. However, the gym is so fabulous if I missed the opportunity to work out there because I was intimidated by hard bodies I would be doing myself a disservice.

My point is, I am not buff. And when I work out my face turns an alarming bright, bright red and stays that way for about an hour. I sweat a LOT and my work out clothes hardly ever match.

But the best part... nobody cares! I've never noticed anyone paying attention or judging me while I'm working out and I've found this to be true at all the gyms I've been to.

Visit the gym closest to you and just see how it feels. Give it a shot and try to avoid the really busy times. It is worth it!! I promise.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

The people at my gym (Bally's) that get the most ridiculous looks are NOT the people that are heavier, its the slim people that come in with super skimpy workout clothes, perfect hair and a face full of make up. Makes me want to scream the club is downtown, not in here!!! This guy at my gym, when he started he was about 405. I stopped him the other day and told him how proud I was of him. He is down to 200 and looks COMPLETELY different. He said his biggest motivator was all the encouragement he got from the people that he met at the gym that told him to to keep at it, gave him pointers and called looking for him if he didn't make it into the gym more than 3-4 days in a row.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 05:43 PM   #9  
Chubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieRN
Oh yeah, the gym I would be calling is "Lifetime Fitness." There are several in the Twin Cities area, and there is one about 2 miles from my home.
I can tell you right now that the Lifetime Fitness Gyms are pretty much the most expensive...my cousin has a membership at one in dallas and pays like $60 something a month I think...don't quote me on the price but I know they are pretty expensive...but they also have the best equipment of any gym I have ever visited, and some really cool classes. The one I visited also had a salon and spa inside.
breakfastsurreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:43 PM   #10  
Wants to be a "LOSER!"

Wow, thanks everyone for borrowing me a few cents. I think I may call! I've got some DVD's I've been working out to, but those get a little tiresome after awhile, and I think my daughter would really, really enjoy it.

Sounds like my main problem of being overweight is a non-issue. I have a horrendously low self-esteem, and wasn't sure if I could handle exercising in front of other people. I guess the $$$ really won't be an issue, as I know it will be worth every cent.

Breakfast- I checked online at their website today, and of course, they don't give any pricing for memberships, but from what I read online, they do have a pretty sweet deal at their gyms. Sauna, child care, etc.

I also remembered today that through my health insurance, I can get $15 off my membership fees a month if I go 8 times in that month. What a bargain, eh? I can see now, this might be something I should really take advantage of.

everyone!!
Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 PM   #11  

Yay Annie! Call them up! You deserve it!
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:32 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

AnnieRN -- YES, please join your gym if you possibly can! Like everyone has said, NO ONE cares about how you look, this is truly only a MYTH... Everyone is truly in their own little world and doing their workouts and leaving to continue on with life.... I admire everyone, thin or not, who goes to a gym regularly and sticks to it. Also think of of the great example you will be giving your daughter. My DD is FINALLY looking up to me because I go to the gym YAY The other day she said: ''Mom you'll live to at least 100 because you are in such great shape!'' I was so proud ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:59 AM   #13  

Hi AnnieRN, I am late replying, but like YP1, I was over 260 when I joined a gym, now i go to two. Honestly being big, fat, round whatever is not a problem. There will be people bigger than you and smaller than you, people just do their own thing and get on with it. I love going to the gym now, I found it took six weeks to get into the groove.

Like tikanique's 400 pound guy, I get loads of supportive comments, and so much help from the instructors at both gyms. My body shape has changed dramatically and I am now feeling really good about myself.

Takign up exercise is the best thing I have ever done for myself.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote