Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Default Walking or workout tapes? Getting bored!

Okay guys, well, I've lost 60 lbs. in the past 3 months and I usually just do aerobic workout tapes with some strength training. I'm getting bored with them though. Plus, now that I've lost a lot of weight, I feel like I should be doing something more!!

It's spring now, and really nice out, and I LOVE the outdoors. So, my question is...is walking with some jogging just as good as the workout videos? I have Kathy Smith Kickboxing Workout and Extreme Makeover Fitness. I have other ones, but I don't particularly like them. I'm unemployed...still...so I have plenty of time for exercise. Do you think you guys could help me change my exercise routine? I'm feeling kind of unmotivated!! Thank you!!
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #2  

Have you tried Tae Bo? there are several workouts - basic, intermediate, advanced, boot camp, etc.

just a suggestion )
S_inthebigcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi there Siren,

Your body will probably LOVE a change of routine as well. Walking with some jogging is definitely just as good, especially if you walk at a nice brisk pace. I have found that the more varied my routine is, the less bored I get. I alternate between riding my stationary bike, riding my actual bike (now that its warmer) running on an indoor track, using the elliptical machine, doing various Tae Bo tapes (I have 4 advanced ones), and Pilates. I also lift weights. With so many different things to choose from, if I don't feel like one thing, I have a bunch of other things to pick from - kind of an exercise buffet

Plus, if you vary your routine, your body doens't get used to any ONE thing and doesn't plateau as easy.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #4  

If you go to www.collagevideo.com, you can browse all sorts of workout videos, read reviews, see clips, etc. For example, did you know Kathy has a new bellydancing video? She also has some really good Pilates videos. Or maybe you could get into some different types of modalities, like yoga or tai chi.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #5  

Well, after doing Tae Bo and the Kathy Smith Kickboxing for so many months now, I've realized that I HATE it! LOL It's a great workout, but I don't have much fun doing it. I can never keep my balance! I really like the cardio sections of the Extremem Makeover Fitness DVD, but they're only like 9-10 minutes long for each one. Blah. I'll have to check out that collagevideo.com. But, alas, I'm broke at the moment because of being unemployed!!

I love walking and being outdoors, so I guess I just wanted to know if walking at a brisk pace...alternating between jogging and walking...had the same benefits of a regular cardio workout that you would do at home with a video.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Old 04-12-2005, 02:41 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I personally think that doing anything outdoors is better than staying indoors, IMHO, but this is just moi, so don't everyone jump on me here .... I also love running and am now hooked after 1 yr 4 months of running... Here is a good article I just found:
http://www.fitfaq.com/running-good-exercise-choice.html

Quote:
Why Running Is A Good Exercise Choice

Learn why so many people choose running as their primary form of exercise...

Perhaps I'm just a little biased. I do, after all, enjoy running…whether it's on a treadmill or in the Great Outdoors! But, aside from my personal endorsement of running, there are lots of other great reasons why running is a good exercise choice.

To obtain optimal health, you should ideally engage in exercises that will strengthen the heart (a strong heart helps reduce the risk of coronary heart disease) and lungs. You should participate in exercises that strengthen and tone muscles, as well as increase your energy level. Exercising regularly can help you maintain a healthy weight and simply help you feel and look better. In fact, a good exercise program has the ability to add a couple of years to your life! Additionally, people who exercise regularly, tend to be happier and laugh more, because exercise alleviates stress and anxiety. And, when a person attains better health through exercise, that person will generally have a healthier, more optimistic outlook on life.

Benefits of Running

But why pick running as your exercise of choice? First of all, running is a wonderful aerobic exercise. And, aerobic exercises are great for improving one's cardiovascular health. Running is also a good way to burn calories and to control your weight. Consequently, runners can develop those slender, sleek, toned bodies many of us desire. Also, if you're involved in other sport activities, running will help you benefit in those activities, as your aerobic fitness and stamina improve.

Another reason that running is such a perfect exercise of choice is that virtually any healthy person can do it! Practically no special skills are required. It is ultimately dependent upon no one else but you. It is your own willpower and determination that drives you to run and allows you to reap the benefits of running. Running can be carried out virtually anywhere, anytime. All that is really needed is the desire and the will, a good pair of running shoes, and some inexpensive, comfortable exercise clothes.

As running improves your fitness, you will likely discover that you have more pride in yourself. You will learn to appreciate your body more. You might even surprise yourself with your own capabilities and with how much you can achieve when you run. As a runner, your self-reliance, self-consciousness, and self-commitment may also increase greatly.

Treadmills are great machines on which to run, if you prefer an indoor workout (i.e. at your local gym or in your home or office). And, a good treadmill will provide a low-impact, aerobic session any time of day and any time of year, regardless of the weather.

On the other hand, not everyone has access to a treadmill or can afford to go out and buy one. Running outdoors costs nothing. You may run along the streets of your neighborhood. You might find a park, which has trails made specifically for running. Or, perhaps you're more of an adventurer and prefer to run cross-country. For the nature-lover, outdoor running can also be very calming and soothing…sort of a meditative experience…depending upon where you run. You have time to yourself…time to think…time to notice the world around you.

Before beginning any exercise program, it's a good idea to consult your health professional to make sure it would be safe for you to do so.

Cyndi Schoenhals

Hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

I just wanted to add that when you start running start with 1 minute running 1 minute walking and work yourself up to more running and less walking...
Old 04-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

And running outdoors is SOOOO much nicer than running on a treadmill (IMHO, of course ). Another advantage is that you use many more of your small muscles and senses that keep you well-balanced on uneven surfaces (trust me, even if you run on track, it's much more uneven than a treadmill). I can go much further/longer outdoors than on the That being said, I'm once again trying to get back into running. Having to stop (foot injury) was a definite contributor to my relapse. I have bad knees, but I've found that if I start off slowly they're not too bad. And of course, the less weight they have to carry, the better they feel.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #9  
Learning to love ME!

I do step aerobics tapes for my workout. I LOVE it, and get great results. However, on days when I can't fit it in, I walk during my lunch hour instead. One thing I've noticed, though, is on weeks when I don't do step aerobics at least 4x, I don't lose weight, even when I'm substituting walking. My point is that I don't get as intense a workout when I walk as when I do step aerobics.

So my vote would be to get some new videos. If money's an issue now (isn't it for most of us?!), you could get videos out of the library.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Since I have been running I have lost 4'' on my hips in less than a year and a half... How's that for incentive?!

WaterRat -- I love running outside too!
Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 PM   #11  

yeah, I noticed too that when I walk, as opposed to exercise videos, I don't lose the weight. I'll try the running, but being a smoker (I know, I know), it's not all that easy. I get out of breath quickly when I do run. I try to push myself, but can't go too far! LOL

Thanks guys!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #12  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetarysiren25
I get out of breath quickly when I do run. I try to push myself, but can't go too far! LOL
I was the same way. Just 1 minute of running was difficult. It took awhile before I could run a straight mile without stopping. I had to push some, but don't push it too hard, because it does take time to build up your stamina. Something else I discovered from reading here, if you can't run very far even after trying and trying for awhile, try and reduce your pace. I was trying to build up my speed and timing myself, but 3 miles was pushing it for me. I forced myself to slow down by first using a treadmill to get a good pace figured out. I dropped down from 10 minute miles to 15 minute miles...and was able to run 5 straight miles instead of 3.

But again, just starting out, I walked 1 mile a day and tried to add in sprints of running. Of that 1 mile, I probably ran about 1/8th of it altogether over about 5 or 6 sprints. LOL But that distance got better and better. My sprints got longer, and eventually I ran half the mile, then the full mile.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I lose weight quicker when I run as well. I also enjoy the challenge of a run. With tapes (which I do enjoy also) there is no challenge after a while. You can't say, I'm going to finish the tape in less time, yet go farther. You do what the tapes tells you to do. With running, biking, rowing, stair master, etc. you can set up challenges. I will try to beat last weeks best time, or I will add another lap or I will set the resistance higher, etc. Since I love challenges, I enjoy running.

At any rate, the key is to find what works for you. Hit the library, hit some used video stores - the used video tapes are ALWAYS dirt cheap, check to see if you can swap out with friends, run a minute, walk a minute, go to a high school and go up and down the stairs in the stadium, skip ropes, ANYTHING, just keep moving.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 09:50 AM   #14  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique
With tapes (which I do enjoy also) there is no challenge after a while. You can't say, I'm going to finish the tape in less time, yet go farther. You do what the tapes tells you to do.
Actually, you can work on spicing them up a bit. I'm so uncoordinated, I prefer the WATP videos. But since the premise of those is mainly walking, I've found that rather than the walk in between the more strenuous moments, I can instead opt to do jumping jacks, jump rope style or upper body twists to the pace, then go back to walking just before they're going to do a harder movement. I also don't challenge myself on how fast I can finish, but on how long I can go. So I might do a second video or rewind and start again.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:21 PM   #15  

I know you mentioned being unemployed, so this might not be an option - but I have been using Netflix and trying new workouts each week. It is keeping me very entertained and I'm getting to try out so many different types of workouts. I normally would buy one and do it for a while and then get bored... Another thought, your local library. That is of course, if you still want to do workouts to video.

cardio workouts will help you burn fat, so walking can do it if you keep a pace high enough to find your target heart rate.
Le Cheez is offline   Reply With Quote