Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Question Question about muscle soreness

Hi there! I was wondering . . . if your muscles are sore from a workout, should you let them rest and not work out at all until they get better, or is it better to go ahead as scheduled even though you are sore?

I ask this because I usually jog 3 days a week, about 2 miles. Friday I decided to play basketball instead, just for a change of pace. Today, my thighs are SO sore!! In general I think this is good because it means I must be doing something to work them, but I'm concerned that they won't be better in time for my usual jog on Monday. Should I go ahead and try jogging anyway, even if my thighs are still sore? Or should I skip the workout Monday, or just walk instead?
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #2  
Delicious Microwaved!

Heya paperclippy!

This is by no means "educated" advice, but I've found that if I am sore and do a light cardio workout it seems to actually help. Many weeks ago, my calf muscles were really bothering me--to the point where I was having a lot of trouble going down stairs--after I started doing my step routine again. I was debating whether or not I should completely take the day off to let my body heal; finally I just decided to pop in a CD and dance around (not a pretty sight, I must add ) and do whatever I could to get my heart going. The activity seemed to help "work the kinks out" of my legs and later I ended up feeling a lot better.

I have to walk long distances for my job. Over the past years there have been some nights where I was walking pretty gimpy-limpy during my rounds because of exercising soreness. In the end though, walking through the injury never seemed to do me any harm.

If you're just experiencing general soreness and didn't actually pull/strain anything then I don't think you'll do any more damage by taking a nice walk. I'd say just give it a try, be honest in evaluating how your body is responding, and do whatever feels comfortable.

I hope it works out well for you
Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:04 AM   #3  

If it is mild general soreness I would say keep going, though at perhaps a reduced rate. If it is a "bad" sort of soreness, like you've actually strained a muscle or something, I would advise taking a break.

I dunno. I feel that flexablity is pretty important in any fitness strategy, but that might be my own personality and prejudices shining through. I think that if someone is going to make exercise a real part of their life, something they are going to do for the long haul, not just a few months, they have to listen to their bodies and realize that sometimes it just wants a short break. Of course, it easy for that short break to stretch into a long break, then a "I didn't *really* mean to quit" break.

It can be tough to balance.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:40 AM   #4  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'd say to make sure that it's a "normal" soreness, and not due to an injured muscle (although in my experience, you quickly enough learn to recognize the difference). If it's normal soreness, I think you shouldn't cut on every move, simply go on walking, jogging etc as normal; it may actually make you feel better. On the other hand, what you probably shoudn't do then is strength training (up to muscle failure, I mean) if really you're pretty sore. But as this doesn't seem to be your goal, well, you can probably try to go jogging, and stop if really it seems too painful to you.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:32 AM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone! It is just general soreness, I've had pulled muscles before and this doesn't feel like one. It's less sore today, so maybe it will even be gone tomorrow. I think I'll go jogging as usual, as much as I can! Thanks for your advice!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Paperclippy, by tomorrow you will probably have minimal soreness by the sounds of it... go for a light jog if it feels ok, go for your usual, if it feels bad just take it easy, this is what I do... Listen to your body... Stretch before and after your jog...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote