Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 PM   #1  

Default Lightbulb moment

Hi folks:

Today I had a lightbulb moment that I just wanted to share.

Last year I bought a treadmill to use to build up my speed and time fitness walking. Bsically using it has been a drudgery... feeling like a hampster in a little wheel basically. I either listened to tapes with walkman or just walked with my own thoughts. It has not been a very enjoyable time - but I looked at it as a must.

I prefer to walk outside in the fresh air, but with winter here, I'm back on the 'mill more.

Last week I got a bureau to put on top of a bookcase, and put an old tv on it. I put it up high enough for me to see over the big display board of the treadmill. I got an old tape recorder on top of a board on the top of some plastic file boxes next to it. It's all stuffed into a closet in the back room where we have the treadmill.

Today I wanted to watch a tv show that I taped the other night, and decided to try my new "media center" Before I knew it 45 min had passed and I walked the whole time !!!!! and enjoyed it !!!!!

Finally, it wasn't drudgery. I didn't walk my fitness walk pace (4.1- 4.4 mph) but did a nice steady pace of 3.6. I had to crank the volume up so high and this was the speed at which I could still part listen and part lip-read. I guess I need to get some headphones. But it was a nice walk, not a fitness walk, but exercise none-the-less.

My lightbulb moment !!!!
I can walk less fast and watch some tv show that in the past I would have just sat on the couch and watched.

I feel like I've found a new toy. WHOOOPIE

Allie

Still up a few, but still maintaining 100 lb loss for 10 months
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 08:50 AM   #2  

I am coming out of lurkdom to tell you that you have indeed, just motivated me!! I have the VERY SAME set up, down in my basement right now but have been ignoring it. I came on here just now looking for some motivation, to go down there and get on the treadmill (also have a bike and stairmaster on either side of the treadmill). Thank you....I'm going to get on in time for Regis and Kelly! LOL!
SummersComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I too developed an idea for motivation just yesterday. We just moved a couple of weeks ago. And while I haven't gotten back to every day exercise (of course moving furniture, cleaning out the attic, etc. is kind of a replacement for exercise right now LOL), I have been trying to get in a run at least every 2 to 3 days. Well, I decided to try a new route yesterday. The neighborhood we live in is full of winding streets that double back on one another, etc. And, well, I freaking got lost. After I came to the same road three times, I stopped to bicyclist and asked them the way back!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:30 AM   #4  

AlmostHeaven, I used to do that when I walked my two older children in the jogger stroller. Actually...my husband had a local map, so I started a challenge for myself that I would walk every road in our little village and then go home and mark the route off with a highlighter......somewhere different every few walks or so...I didnt quite get all of them before I fell off the wagon but I got A LOT of them and some in the outer areas. Might be worth a try?!

And Pyxie....I just got off the treadmill. Thank you.....you helped someone out today who needed a boost!

edited to add: holy cow....this thread was MADE for me today as motivation....I,too, am starting off here (4 months post-partum) at 240 at 5'5", and feeling a little hopeless this morning.....Wow AlmostHeaven! How'd ya do it?

Last edited by SummersComing; 12-03-2004 at 12:31 PM.
SummersComing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:27 PM   #5  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

i tend to do alot of my training in the yard as it mainly involves skipping (jump rope) and well the shandeliers don't like it but i do have on a radio or cd so loud the kitchen windows rattle much to the annoyance of the neighbours my old gym had a tv right in front of a row or rowing machines and joggers which was great cos i used to row 10k at a time take about 45 mins and it would fly by with early morning chat shows
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:59 PM   #6  

Hi again:

I never thought I'd motivate anyone, but it's a great feeling to help inspire someone. Thank you for telling me. This 3fc forum is fun.

I just had a "DUH !!??" moment the other day. Only took me a year to figure it out.

Hubby had to help me re-arrange the configuration of the bookcases and bureaus to get the tv up high enough for me to see. We don't have cable back there, so I have to watch tapes - I figure I can watch Survivor or some other tv show back there and have the time fly while I'm working out my legs and heart and circulatory system. It's funny how your mind can go where the tv takes you and the treadmill just keeps the legs moving along.

I did get a pair of headphones, and will try them out today.... I'm getting ready to head out to the "back 40" (small back yard actually) and rake leaves then come in and walk the 'mill for a while. I've got a couple Dr Phil's and Oprahs to scan thru. I still feel like I found a new toy. Gosh, it's fun.

Allie
pyxie is offline   Reply With Quote