Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 08:20 AM   #1  
Crazy Babe

Thumbs down

Hello everybody. This is the week I get back on target. I have lost all the muscles in my tummy, it is definately floppy again. So it is time to get organised & get back on plan.

I have taken up a 21 day Tae Bo challenge & was keen enough to get up at 6am to work out. I definately prefer working out in the morning - but I am very fond of my bed. But this week I am going to get out of that bed early & strut my stuff in the livingroom.

As well as the Tae Bo I am going to walk for 30 mins x 5 times a week (4 lunchtimes & a stroll on Saturday). I used to be able to do 50 crunches every day - so I'm going to start doing them again tonight. I am also going to do some weight work 4 times this week - not quite sure what I am going to do but I will do something.

Sounds like a lot but here is the simplfied version.

Mon - Tae Bo, 30 x mins walk, 50 crunches, 15 mins weight work
Tue - Tae Bo, 30 mins walk, 50 crunches
Wed - Tae Bo, 30 mins walk, 50 crunches, 15 mins weight work
Thurs - Tae Bo, 30 mins walk, 50 crunches
Fri - Tae Bo, 50 crunches, 15 mins weight work
Sat - Tae Bo, 30 mins walk, 50 crunches
Sun - Tae Bo, 15 mins weight work

So there it is in black & white, so now I got to stick to it. All I got to do now is get the eating under control.

Better go do some work, got a meeting to go to in a few minutes & done no preparation for it.

see you later

Carol

Last edited by Big Sal; 04-23-2001 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2001, 09:12 AM   #2  

That's alot of exercising, Carol. Good for you!
Well, I still haven't done an actual workout as far as cardio goes. I have been running around like crazy and chasing my kids around outside, so that counts a little. I have done some light weight training and will do it at least every other day. I need to get my arms ready for sleeveless shirts! I've done some crunches and leg work. I would have liked to do some step aerobics, but I'll get that in soon. I think I may get my tae bo tapes out, haven't seen Billy in a while!

See ya later!
Rachel
Old 04-23-2001, 10:10 AM   #3  

Hi everyone!

Big Sal: That sounds like a great workout plan! I'm sure you'll have your tummy muscles back in no time! I'm glad to see you're adding weight work too -- building muscle is one of the best things we can do for our health + metabolism! Good luck!

icandoit: Hello again! I definitely consider running around after kids to be a "workout"! Good job with the toning -- I do free weight work myself, and it's great to see those muscles coming out! Underarm flab begone!

My update: Didn't workout on Friday, but got up + did Prime Power Total Body on Saturday, bringing my Firm workouts up to 3x this week. On Sunday, DH and I went to the laundromat, did our grocery shopping while the clothes were in the wash, and went to the gym together while they were drying! It was a busy morning! Did 30 mins on the bike, and felt great. Later took a 20-30 minute stroll to dinner outside, since it was so nice out. Good weekend.

This week I'm going to go to the gym in the morning 3x during the week, and try to get in my Firm workouts in the evening. Learned from my mistakes, and will be changing my schedule so that Friday is my rest day...since I never seem to work out on Friday!

Mon: 25 mins recumbent bike @ gym <done>
Firm: Complete Aerobic Weight Training (vol. 6)
Tues: 25 mins r. bike @ gym
Firm: Basics Fatburning
Wed: 25 mins r. bike @ gym
Firm: Prime Power Lower Body
Thurs: Firm: Prime Power Total Body
Fri: rest day
Sat: 25 mins r. bike @ gym
Firm: Basics, Abs Buns + Thighs (if i have time)
Sun: 25 mins r. bike @ gym

I'm also going to try to add on segments from Firm 5-Day Abs and Firm 5-Day Stretch whenever I can. That's my plan! Hope everyone's having an okay Monday!
Old 04-23-2001, 11:32 AM   #4  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Hey!

Glad to see everybody around! And thanks BigSal for starting the new thread!

BigSal Congrats on the great week you have planned out for you! ITA with what Copperblu says about weights.... That's a lot of what Curves is, and even with two weeks off for my knees, I still stayed the course, and I know that's because of the muscle I've built! Plus, I look at it this way... I can "afford" treats, because my body is burning more cals!

icandoit That goes to you too! And certainly count that running around as exercise! Every little bit of extra movement counts!

Copperblu Great weekend! And what a good idea to switch your free day to the day you never exercise! That way, you'll have less guilt about it!

As for me, I never made it to Curves on Friday. I had a headache in the afternoon, and I just felt terrible. I had got my minimum of 3 workouts in last week, so I didn't feel guilty, but I missed it all the same.

Eating wise the weekend was a little "splurgy" but not too bad. I did some housecleaning and a little yardwork, but mostly just relaxed and tried to feel better. It seems to have worked, as I feel good this morning. A little tired, but it is Monday, isn't it?

This week is shaping up to be beautiful! They're calling for summer like weather, and I'm going to take full advantage (as much as I can!) Here's my schedule!

Monday: Curves, perhaps a walk after dinner
Tues: Curves, bowling
Wed: Curves, gardening, walking
Thurs: Curves, swimming?, walking!
Fri: Curves, bowling again (yearend party!)

I already know that Friday will be a "bad" diet day, so I'm planning ahead and trying to eat really well all this week ~ we'll see how it goes!

Hope you're all doing great!
Old 04-24-2001, 06:18 AM   #5  
Crazy Babe

Hello. I was up at 6am again doing that Tae Bo tape. Felt the stretches a bit more today so it must be doing me some good. The weight work was good last night - I fair enjoyed doing it. Coppblu & Marvin one of the reasons I added a specific wieght session is to see if it will help raise my metabolism - just got to keep it up now.

Icandoit - if your kids are anything like my boys, running around with them will give you twice the exercise any exercise video will.

Copperblu - what is free weigth work - I'm just nosy

Marvin - Hi - didn't want to miss you out.

I'm looking forward to my walk at lunchtime. The sun is shining, but I don't think it is too warm, so I'll put my jumper on & stroll on. No weight work tonight - only have to fit in the 50 crunches when I get home from seeing dad.

Better go, things to do.

Last edited by Big Sal; 04-24-2001 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:08 AM   #6  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Okay ~ I skipped Curves again last night. I have all sorts of excuses: My knees hurt (only a little), I was tired and headachey (aren't we all), I could go for a walk or ride my bike instead (I didn't), I hate my hair (no really ~ I dyed it on Sunday night, and it's horrible!)

Anyway, no excuses today! I AM going to Curves and I AM weighing in. Then, I am eating healthy at Subway, and going bowling, where I'm going to kick some butt! It seems since I took the two weeks off for my knees, I don't seem to want to get back into the swing of things.... I guess my knees are becoming a great excuse.

NO MORE! This is our last week of league bowling, so no more late nights. My body is starting (slowly) to get used to the earlier starts so starting next week, this will be my schedule:

Mondays: Curves
Tuesdays: Swimming (am), Curves (pm)
Wednesdays: Curves
Thursdays: Swimming (am), Curves (pm)
Fridays: Curves

I will also be golfing on irregular days, and possibly joining a mixed ball league that plays on Sunday evenings. I just gotta get back into that groove that I was enjoying (yes, enjoying) before.

Anyway, hi all, and I hope you're doing better than I have been. Don't worry, I'm done with my little whipping session, and I'll be back to my normal cheerful self next time I post, I promise!
Old 04-24-2001, 02:29 PM   #7  

Hi all!

MarvinTM: Getting back into it is hard! I have trouble motivating when I haven't worked out for a few days, let alone a few weeks! Just think, if you get this one workout done tonight, then you have already taken that first step out of your slump, and you don't have to do that first workout again. You'll be one workout closer to back on track! Good luck! I hope your knees are treating you okay, and believe me I sympathize with the badly-dyed-hair!!

Big Sal: Congratulations on getting back to your Tae-Bo! That's fabulous! You are one tough cookie! I've been really impressed with your committment to staying on track w/your fitness plan, and doubly so now that you're adding your Tae-Bo back in. You go girl!
About free weights: that's just a term for weight-training with dumbells and the like -- "free" weights rather than weight machines like at the gym.

My update: After doing my bike workout in the morning yesterday, I came home after work and -- you guessed it! -- didn't have the energy to do my Firm workout! I did 10-15 minutes of a yoga tape instead, since I felt guilty doing nothing. I sure hope I get used to this soon -- I know I'm getting my cardio in, but I hate missing my weight-based Firm workouts so often! I'm afraid I'll be all flabby!
Been eating well -- I actually may have gotten in too few calories yesterday, according to www.fitday.com, even including my PMS munchies. Hard to believe given the meals I ate -- meatloaf w/mashed potatoes + veggie -- but I guess that's what you get w/lowfat meatloaf + light mashed potatoes! Astounding.
Did the bike at the gym this morning , so now I just have to try to get in a Firm workout tonight! Hope I don't fall asleep!

Hope you all are doing well!
Old 04-25-2001, 03:27 AM   #8  
Crazy Babe

I was too lazy to get out of bed this morning to do the Tae Bo workout will need to do it tonight instead. I much prefer working out in the morning but sometimes I just can't force myself out from under that cozy duvet. SO tonight I am going to be busy, Tae Bo, free weights (see I'm even picking up the terminolgy (sp)), & 50 crunches. To me this sounds like a lot to do in one night. I may move the weights onto tomorrow night, but I'll wait & see how I feel before I do that.

Confession time - I didn't manage the stomach crunches last night - so I'm 50 down for the week, I aim to try & catch up on them through out the next few days - maybe by adding on a 10 each day for the next 5 days - don't know. Again I'll need to wait & see how it all pans out. My tummy is my big problem - it justs sits there, twice as large as live. I had 2 ceasarion (sp) sections when I had the kids & have never got the muscles back - but all that is about to change.

Hope you are all fine & back into your work outs. It is had getting back to it, when you've missed them for a short while. But we can do it.

Last edited by Big Sal; 04-25-2001 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:22 AM   #9  

I too must confess! I missed ANOTHER Firm workout yesterday! I MUST get one in tonight! Especially as I missed my morning bike workout too! (now that one wasn't my fault -- DH turned off the alarm again, so we both overslept). So thus far this week I've gotten in 2 of 3 planned bike workouts, and 0 of 2 planned Firm workouts. I'll have to do a heavy Firm tape tonight if I'm going to make up for it!

DH keeps telling me I shouldn't worry about getting in my evening workout, or even going to the gym more than 3x a week -- but he's not really trying to lose weight. <insert long rant about DH not understanding importance of building muscle, or how much work is required for me to lose 10 pounds>. Anyways, sometimes I get the feeling he thinks I take it too seriously. I don't! I just want to be in good shape! I'm tired of being out-of-shape and inactive, and tired of not liking the way my body looks. Since he's not really overweight, I think he's just coming from a different place and doesn't know that frustration. Which is why the boards are good.
Yet, in a way, I think DH is partly right. I do have to remember that it's a process, and to stop rushing. If I get into an all-fired hurry about it, all I'm going to do is frustrate myself. The pounds will come off, it's just a matter of time. I've got to stop stressing about each and every workout missed being a black mark against me. I think I might try changing the structure of my posted schedule -- instead of listing each workout for each day, create a general plan of attack, like 4x at the gym, 3 Firm workouts. Then I won't feel so guilty about a specific missed workout, or be so anxious about adhering to my precise schedule of "this tape on this day".

Anyways, I hear you Big Sal + Marvin -- and good luck to us all in pulling ourselves out of our "slumps". Yes, it's day by day -- but also month by month too...in the overall scheme of things, we're doing pretty well. I declare today "No Beating Yourself Up!" Day!
Old 04-25-2001, 10:44 AM   #10  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default I second that motion!

Here's to "Not Beating Yourself Up" Day!

Luckily, I weighed in last night, and I'm down another pound! So, no beatings for me today!

I had a great workout, then bowling was great too, as I predicted. I kicked dh's butt all three games! Yay!

Copperblu Your dh does have a point ~ I'm starting to look at it the same way. As long as I get my minimum of three Curves workouts per week ~ I'm doing great. Doesn't matter what days I go, as long as I do it! Maybe give it a try for a week or two, and see how it works for you. You can always go back to a more set schedule if that's better.

I also agree about it being hard not to push for the losses ~ we all do that! It's so hard to not see the instant results that we want ~ which is of course, why the "diet industry" does so well.... BTW, about your dh ~ I have the same kind ~ he's about 140 lbs. dripping wet, and noone in his family has ever been overweight. He just does not get it ~ but he tries, and that's why I love him....

Big Sal Please don't overdo it! We wouldn't want you to burn out! I know that I have a tendency to do things that way too. Go completely overboard, and then get into such a slump that I never get going again... At least I used to! I already feel like I'm getting back into it ~ thank goodness for Curves!

As for me, today, I will go to Curves after work, and then since it's supposed to be beautiful today, I might do some more planting and yard work when I get home... we'll see what the temp is like....

Have a good one!
Old 04-26-2001, 03:54 PM   #11  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

OK ~ where are you?

The good news is I did it! By the time that the end of the day came around, I really didn't want to go to Curves, but I did it anyway, and I felt wonderful after! Yay!

Also, yesterday, my bosses actually remembered it was Secretary's Day, and took me out for lunch! I had a steak sandwich, but I did have salad instead of fries! Then a nice lo cal lo fat dinner, a little gardening, and a nice time with dh.... what a great day yesterday was...

Today has been good too. I AM going to Curves again, then off to help my dad set up for the local trade fair... Finally home, and that's it!

Hope you're all well, and working those tushies off!
Old 04-26-2001, 04:48 PM   #12  

Sorry, I've been busy + running about all day! Quick update: no Firm workout, decided not to stress. Had lean burgers + sweet potato oven "fries" for dinner, tried to keep snacking to a minimum with limited success. Trying not to feel guilty about missed Firm workouts -- after all, counting Sunday, I have worked out 3x. Sigh.

Very proud of you Marvin, for going to Curves!! And getting the salad! I almost never have enough willpower to resist fries!

Anyway, sorry so short -- will post longer post tomorrow! Hope everyone else is well!
Old 04-27-2001, 11:27 AM   #13  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

I was so glad to see your post Copperblu... I didn't want to keep talking to myself!

Anyway, yesterday was pretty good ~ really busy though.... Today is more of the same.

After work today, I go to Curves, then up to the Trade Fair for a quick snoop around, then to a big community garage sale with MIL, then over to the bowling windup party.

I'm going out for lunch today with the girls from the office, but I already know what I'm having. (4 oz. cod with salad) Also, we are eating potluck at bowling tonight, with sweet stuff too, and I'll probably indulge a little there, as well as have a drink or two as well... Oh well... I deserve a good splurge, as long as it isn't everyday!

If I don't talk to you all later today, have a great weekend, and I'll see ya on Monday!
Old 04-27-2001, 12:22 PM   #14  

Hi!

MarvinTM:It sounds like you are RIGHT back on track!! So many Curves workouts!! Congratulations! I'm impressed!
Good planning for lunch today too -- having such a firm idea in your head will keep you from overindulging...so then you can enjoy tonight guiltfree!
Sounds like you have a fun weekend ahead of you -- enjoy!

My update: eating well, exercising not at all! Hope to get back on track this weekend, maybe with a gym workout w/DH. The Cherry Blossom festival is going on at the botanical garden this weekend, so we're going to go to that -- which will be a lot of strolling.

Hope everyone is doing well -- will check in on Monday! Have a great weekend!
Closed Thread