Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 10:24 AM   #1  

Talking

Welcome to the new thread! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

MarvinTM: From your last post: I like Kashi Go Lean cereal a lot -- I eat 3/4 cup sprinkled on top of nonfat fruit yogurt for breakfast every morning! I've heard that GoodFriends or GoLean Crunch is good if you want something a little sweeter -- slightly less fiber + more cals, but rumored to be quite tasty!
Sounds like you've been doing really well nutrition-wise, so maybe your weigh-in won't be as bad as you fear! That whole-wheat quesadilla sounds great!

My news: Got some of my tapes over the weekend, so I'm going to add in some extra abs + stretch (from Firm: "5 Day Abs" and "5 Day Stretch") after my Firm workouts this week. DH came home early on Thurs, so didn't get a workout in, and I went out on Friday, so didn't get a workout in. Boo!
Went for a superlong walk (like 4 miles) w/DH and a friend this Saturday, which was fun and healthy -- then DH and I went to the gym together on Sunday! Our first team gym visit! In which I learned a valuable lesson about 'levels' on the recumbent bike. Do NOT start out at level 6, even if the levels DO go up to 12. I still finished 30 minutes though...under duress! Afterwards we felt GREAT, and it was such a nice start to the day -- I think we're going to go together every weekend now.

This week I'm moving on to the third week of the beginner/intermediate rotation, even if I DID only get in 2 Firm workouts last week. I'm also going to try to get to the gym in the morning before work, and fit in 25-30 minutes on the bike for some extra cardio. I did it this morning, and managed to time everything so I got my shower + got to work on time (and I've made most of this week's dinners/lunches ahead of time), so now it's only a matter of waking up!

Monday: 25 minutes recumbent bike
Firm: Complete Aerobic Weight Training (vol. 6)
5-day abs, 5-day stretch
Tuesday: 25 mins r. bike
Firm: Basics Fatburning
extra abs, stretch
Wednesday: 25 mins r. bike
rest from Firm
extra abs, stretch
Thursday: 25 mins r. bike
Firm: Prime Power Lower Body
extra abs, stretch
Friday: 25 mins r. bike
Firm: Prime Power Total Body
extra abs, stretch
Saturday: 25 mins r. bike
Firm:Basics Abs, Buns, Thighs
Sunday: 25 mins r. bike
rest from Firm

Might switch Wednesday + Thursday though, as I'm supposed to go out on Thursday. Wish me luck!
Old 04-16-2001, 10:45 AM   #2  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Good morning Copperblu!

Thanks for starting the new thread, and it sounds like you're off to a heck of a start this week! I'm glad that you're feeling so positive today ~ it'll help get me going!

Anyway, my weekend was not too bad... I mostly took it easy, but the great thing was that I had my first sizing for my dress for my Dad's wedding, and I fit into a size 12! We were in the store in February (I think), and when I tried on the 12, we couldn't zip it up ~ about 2 inches of skin at the top of my back! But it zipped right up on Saturday! Yay! So, now I know where I've been losing ~ my bust measurement was going down, but the cups still runneth over, if you know what I mean! I'm so pumped by that!

That is great about you and dh going to the gym together to work out. I hope you do make it a weekly venture.... luckily my dh is talking about slopitch and golf and stuff to do together this spring/summer, so I'm thrilled about that. We don't really do enough together, and I'm looking forward to it!

My week is gonna be sorta planned as it goes, due to my knees, which don't feel too bad today. I've got braces for both of them now, and I'm going to Curves today (for sure!), and will be weighed (cringe), measured and then do at least a bit of a workout. Then, dh borrowed mil's stationary bike, so I'm going to do a small ride tonight as well. I really want to get moving again ~ I had a terrible time getting to sleep last night, and I just know why!

Well, my first physio appointment is on Thursday too, and I have no idea what that entails, but I hope it's a good workout! The doctor seems to think that physio will pretty much cure my knee problems, so I'm crossing my fingers......

Ok, there. My novel is pretty much done (for now!)... I will talk to you later!

BTW, thanks for the Kashi tip~ I have yogurt for breakfast almost daily, and I used to sprinkly all bran cereal on it (yum!), so I'll definitely be trying the Go Lean!
Old 04-16-2001, 04:24 PM   #3  

Marvin, are we the only ones here AGAIN?! Where is everyone?? And lurkers? Come out come out wherever you are!

CONGRATULATIONS! on fitting into the size 12!! That's WONDERFUL news! you must be ecstatic!! And to do it all w/out losing "the twins"! Now that's a bonus!

Your spring plans sound fun! Supposedly I'm going to learn to play golf from DH someday. But what is "slopitch"? I'm curious!

DH says his knees have been feeling better since he started using the recumbent bike -- so maybe the stationary bike is the thing? Strengthens the supporting muscles w/out straining them? I hope the bike helps, and your doc sounds optimistic -- here's to healthy knees again!

About sleep: I've noticed I go back to my insomniatic ways when I slack off for more than a few days now -- makes me really appreciate the good sleep I've been taking for granted since I started working out! I am so OVER all that tossing and turning!

Anyway, off to go try to motivate myself to do Vol. 6 when I get home, rather than crashing on the couch!
Old 04-17-2001, 09:52 AM   #4  

Tuesday Update:
Did Firm Volume 6 last night, followed by an extra Ab routine + extra stretch routine from the Firm 5-Day parts tapes. The guy "hosting" the Abs tape is so goofy! Unfortunately he comes off as dumb as a box of rocks.

Got up this morning and went to the gym again! 25 minutes on the recumbent bike to start the day.

I hope everyone's doing well + will soon return!
Old 04-17-2001, 10:20 AM   #5  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default GRRRRRRRREAT morning!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You were absolutely right, Copperblu! I was down another 1.5 pounds when I weighed in yesterday, which puts me at 157 even! Yay! My official Curves loss was 4.5 pounds and 2 inches since the beginning of March, so I'm finally up on the "April Stars" loss board! That, combined with the size 12 (), has got me soooooo pumped!

Ahem..... anyway...... slopitch is baseball, where they throw the ball underhand ~ my whole family plays, except me.... I'm terrible at it, but then again, so is dh! He's thinking about joining a mixed league that plays on Sundays ~ it's sort of a "beer league" ~ meaning very casual and fun...

I don't know where everyone else is (Not that I 't like talking to you, Copperblu ) I noticed that our post has been viewed like 23 times, and no lurkers coming out yet?????? Hmmm... maybe we should spice up our chats a little....

Good on you for making it to the gym again! The recumbent bike ~ is that the one that you sort of lie back on rather than sit upright? I haven't yet been brave enough to get moving on my bike (and tonight I won't have time, cause of bowling), but I really hope it helps! And don't you hate those goofy workout instructors? I have a terrible time focussing on a workout, when all I want to do is make fun of the host! Shame on me!

My news: I went to Curves last night, and made it through the entire 3 loops, with modifications of course but I still got a pretty good workout, and I'm pleased with that. I took an anti-inflammatory before I went, and it wasn't until I went to bed that I started to ache a little. Thankfully, it didn't keep me awake, and when I woke up this am, I felt good. So, tonight, I'll go to Curves again (I'm so happy to be back!) and then bowling. I'm still going to take my pill before I go, and hopefully, I should be ok!

Hope you're having a great day too!
Old 04-18-2001, 10:16 AM   #6  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Good morning!

Hey, I saw MiniMony posted over on the Wedding Belles thread in the support forum, so hopefully she'll be back over here soon! (crossing fingers)

As for me, I'm exhausted today ~ no energy whatsoever! Yesterday was good eating-wise, and I went to Curves (doing 2 out of 3 circuits, because my knees started to ache), then on to bowling..... where my third game was 232! My average is 128, and I haven't made it over 200 once this season until now! So, I'm thrilled!

Anyhoo, I'll be glad that next week is our last bowling week.... it's too much to be out until after 10 pm, and then up again at 5:30 ~ I could hardly drag my butt out of bed this morning, and of course, I have PMS now and I'm cramping like crazy, and.... Ok, I'll shut up now!

That's all I have to say now, so I'll check in with ya later! Have a good one!
Old 04-18-2001, 01:44 PM   #7  

Hi Marvin!

Congrats on the weigh-in!! 4.5 pounds + 2 inches since the beginning of March is GREAT progress! I hope you are duly impressed with yourself!
AND for getting in your workouts at Curves! Not to mention your great game! What a fabulous week!

Update:
Didn't get in my evening Firm workout last night -- came home completely exhausted (again!) and only wanted sleep + pizza! So that's what I got! Only 2 pieces of pepperoni 'zza though, and I blotted off the grease, so it wasn't that bad...at least according to fitday.com!
I don't know why I've been so tired lately! I thought maybe it was the getting up early to go to the gym (and so did DH), so I experimented with not going this morning, but I missed it! I feel a little more awake, but that might be just because I've been dealing with crises at work all day -- keeping me on my toes!
Tonight is supposed to be my rest night, but I'm going to do Thursday's P.P. Lower Body workout instead, since I'm going out tomorrow and would miss a workout otherwise. ALSO, I'm going back to the gym tomorrow morning!! I was so grumpy that I didn't go today, it's almost worth being so tired at night! Plus, I'm not sure it's that -- I just realized that I'm probably PMS-ing already as well, and I always feel really worn out during that time.

Thanks for answering my question about slopitch! Sounds like softball, but not? Or baseball but not!
The recumbent bike, to answer your question, is the stationary bike in which you sit upright, but your legs go out in front of you rather than below, if that makes sense. So it's almost like you're reclined a little while using it. Because of the way it's positioned, your muscles are worked differently -- it's actually supposed to be really good for the butt! Judging from the soreness, I think that's probably true!

I hope I make it to the gym Friday + get my Firm workout in -- it might be tough, after going out w/the girls on Thurs.! But I don't want to get in only 2 Firms this week, especially after last week!!

I wish everyone would come back too -- like you said, not that I don't love ya , but it's really weird how everyone disappeared. I know mustang_sally will be back after her vacation, but where'd everyone else go? I hope they're all okay!
Old 04-18-2001, 03:00 PM   #8  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Afternoon! Thank goodness!

I am so exhausted, still! I have made the executive decision to skip Curves tonight, and I will try out my stationary bike tonight, while I watch my soap. I think I gotcha on the recumbent bike thing... Sounds great!

I think you're making the right decision going to the gym in the morning again. I know that when I first started swimming every morning last year, it took a few weeks before my body adjusted and I wasn't falling asleep at dinner! It was so worth it though, and I wish I was still going!

Anyway, I gots to get back to work, I just wanted to check in and see what's up. Have a great workout tonight, and I'll see you bright and early tomorrow!
Old 04-19-2001, 09:29 AM   #9  

Hi Marvin, lurkers!

I'm glad to hear you say it took you a while to get adjusted to going to the gym in the morning -- it gives me hope! The funny thing is that the part I thought would be really hard -- getting up + working out -- has turned out to be really easy! It's just like you said, the problem is staying awake at the dinner table!

Last night: did Prime Power Lower Body, as planned. Cursed at the TV a lot, actually insulted the instructor once. If I never have to do another "dip" again, it will be too soon. I can't wait until this tape is out of my rotation!! DH got home before I could do my extra Abs + Stretch, but he went to the gym after dinner and I did it then. I also made my meatloaf, since we didn't seem to get much of it the last time...but this time I made it into little individual meatloaves! It solves my cutting problem (I can never seem to get a non-crumbly slice), and they're so cuuuuute.

Today: went to the gym this morning and did my bike again! Yay! However, I was so worn out, I had to switch down from level 3 to level 2 midway through! Stupid hormones!!
I'm going to a business lunch today, AND going out w/friends tonight, so I'll have to watch myself!! I hope I can drag myself to the gym tomorrow!
Hope you're having a good day today! Talk to you soon!
Old 04-19-2001, 10:25 AM   #10  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Hey Copperblu! Sounds like you're doing great! Good luck getting up tomorrow morning to go to the gym, but if you don't, don't sweat it too much! It's worth it to have good night out once in a while! Hope you have a great time!

Yesterday was ok. PMS caused me to have a wee bit of a chocolate craving, which I satisfied with a few little eggs, which didn't blow my diet too bad. Otherwise, I ate well, and I'm happy with it.

I got on my bike for about 12 minutes last night too, before my knees started to bother me. Better than nothing, right? Anyway, I have my first physio appointment this morning, and hopefully, I'll learn some good tips and tricks to help get rid of this ache!

Then, I plan to go to Curves today, and maybe try the bike out a little tonight too, depending on how physio and Curves goes.

Have a great day!
Old 04-19-2001, 05:38 PM   #11  

Hi everyone. I need to start exercising again! I am going to start again tomorrow....I know I should today but I have to take my daughter shopping for a b-day gift for a friend, then to her Daisy meeting,after that it will be to late. BUT I have a date with my Susan Powter tape at 9:00 am. I have lost 50lbs on WW, gained most of it back with my last baby. Then I rejoined and lost 70 lbs. but I gained an eating disorder about 1/2 way through and stopped exercising because I was to weak. Now I am ready to get healthy and lose the weight the right way! I need to lose about 15 lbs and build my muscle back up. I know how to do it but just can't seem to get started. I will start tomorrow! I want to be on a regular schedule now because if I wait until my kids get out of school for summer it will be very difficult to start. I have read all your posts and they're really motivating. What is Curves by the way?
I'm starting with my easier tapes because of convenience for now. I'm also starting Weight Watchers at home to try and lose this weight. It sounds like you two are doing really good. How much weight do you want to lose?
Okay, I'll be back tomorrow to tell you that I DID get off the couch and exercise. Wish me luck...send me vibes...whatever!
Thank you and good luck!
Rachel
Old 04-20-2001, 07:52 AM   #12  
Crazy Babe

I'm back but I need to be quick.

Everything is still very hectic with me. I am still travelling the extra 60 odd miles to see dad in hospital every other night. And the night I don't do that I try to spend with my boys. SO I am not exercising as much as I used to be I am still doing it. Dad is getting better & I am looking forward to him being moved to the local hospital so I will have more time for me again & can get back to an organised exercise plan.

All I am managing for now is to walk for 30 mins a day. It is better than nothing but my tummy muscles have loosened again over the last few weeks. Not for long though.

Hope everyone is fine & still working there butts / tummys / hips / thighs & everything else off

I'll pop back when I have half a moment.

Carol

p.s. I'm rushing as I'm trying to quickly eat a sandwich, type this & get across to the donating bus to give blood in 5 mins.

Last edited by Big Sal; 04-20-2001 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:05 AM   #13  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Big Sal It's great to see you around again! I hope your dad is getting better! And that's great that you still fit in some walking! Anything is better than nothing, right? And it probably helps with stress relief too.... Anyway, remember that we're thinking of you and your dad, even when you're not posting!

Welcome, Rachel! Sounds like you're looking for a little accountability? That's exactly why we're here! And we'd love to have you join us!

Curves is a women onl fitness facility that I adore! Here's the website: www.curvesforwomen.com Basically it's circuit training, with alternating stations working different muscle groups. I started going in late November, when they opened, and I love it. I've lost 9 pounds and 7.5 inches since I started, and did I mention that I love it?

Anyway, yesterday was great! Good workout, excellent eating, good attitude... all around great! This morning, I'm not feeling so good, got a wee bit of a sore throat, and sniffles. Woke up to a couple inches of snow (unexpected!), and I'm ready to go home already.

Oh well, I'll plug along here, and rest on the weekend! We've got a family dinner tomorrow, but I have to go to the city in the morning first... Sunday should be good, as the weather is supposed to warm up nicely, and we don't have any plans!

Talk to ya later!
Old 04-20-2001, 11:51 AM   #14  

Yay!! People!

icandoit: Welcome!! I'm so glad you're starting on the path to health + fitness! It's great to hear that you've overcome the trauma of an eating disorder and are committed to doing this the "right" way! Congrats + good luck!

To answer your question: I started exercising Feb. 5th of this year, and have been working out an average of 3x a week since then -- so, 10 weeks. I've lost 7 pounds as of my last weigh-in (although I expect another drop after TOM ), and a clothing size or so (I wasn't buying new clothes, just wearing my looser clothes in my old size to fit, so I can only go by measurements). I'm doing some weight-training, so I don't go by the scale as much, but by now everyone seems to be commenting that I look like I've lost a lot of weight. It's those sort of responses that keep me going!!

Big Sal: So good to hear from you! I was afraid your dad had taken a turn for the worse. I'm glad to hear he's doing okay, although your schedule sounds like ****. I'm amazed you've managed to keep up with your walking in the midst of all of this, and I must express my admiration. Also, good for you donating blood! I try to as well, when I can, as I'm O-neg.

MarvinTM: Kudos on the great day!! And yesterday -- definitely 12 mins on the bike is better than nothing! You're dealing w/your bad knees and the dreaded PMS-sleepies -- pat yourself on the back! Hope you have a great weekend, and I send you good juju vibes to ward off that cold!!

Update: Returned to the gym yesterday morning, yay! As I expected, I didn't get my evening Firm workout in. Went to a business lunch, but actually didn't end up eating too poorly. But I don't anticipate getting in any planned workouts today -- hopefully will make up for it over the weekend! I'm not upset about it though -- I don't necessarily anticipate getting every workout I plan in, but I like to have an ambitious plan to motivate me. If I make it my goal to get in all those workouts, even if I know I won't make it some days, I'll still be trying to get in as many as I can -- which is almost always more than I'd get in otherwise. Plus I still have tomorrow to fit in a third Firm workout for the week!

I hope everyone has a wonderful + healthy weekend, and will see you all on Monday!
Old 04-20-2001, 06:38 PM   #15  

Okay, I didn't do my workout this morning. I was up all night with my sick baby, then I had some shopping to do that took longer than I expected. BUT, I parked at the back of the parking lots and have been running up and down my stairs all day. So I have been more active than usual. I also counted my WW points and journaled which is a good thing. I am going to do my best to sleep tonight , that is a big part of my problem. I will work out tomorrow, the only thing I have to do is take my daughter to a b-day party in the morning.

Marvin, you are exactly right. I do need accountability. I really need to do this. I'm going to check out the Curves website and see if there's one here in Houston. Congrats on the great day yesterday! I hope you're feeling better today.

Copperblu, don't you love those comments?! I didn't measure myself the first time I did WW, but did the 2nd time. I went from a size 18 to a 6 so you can imagine the amount of inches I lost! Unfortunately I haven't exactly overcome my disorder yet, I'm trying really hard , and know it will be behind me soon. I am doing better ,though.(my story is under the eating disorders section if you're interested)

Thanks for the welcome! Have a great weekend!
Closed Thread