Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-31-2017, 11:38 AM   #1  

Default non weight bearing help!

Hello,

Just as i re-start trying to lose weight, i wear the wrong shoes (completely flat) for a long walk and now i've damaged my ligaments in my feet and ankles. It is incredibly sore but they aren't torn completely (yet) merely frayed as they put it.

So anyway, i cant do any weight bearing exercises for a while and even walking more than 20 minutes results in me needing heavy duty painkillers.

I cant swim, what else can i do to still get my burn on? ive been trying to do floor based pilates and interval training but they all seem only to be working my tummy when what i need is to get some decent cardio.

I meant to ask if i can still ride a bike as although its painful, its non weight bearing but i forgot.

Any ideas or help welcommed.

Thanks
Chel
Bigpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I was also going to suggest bike riding, but definitely check to see if it's okay. Also, rowing might be good?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #3  

i had thought of rowing but i cant really push on my feet hard and i cant have my toes towards my ankles which i do when i row. with the bike i can keep my feet at right angles with my legs so it doesnt hurt to bad but i am worried about the pushing causing more harm.

i thought maybe the cross trainer but i'm really nervous of making it worse.

if i could find a canoe and get into one id give that a go but sadly i dont think it will be possible.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Well- maybe just take a break from exercise for a while. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. I lost 40 lbs last year between May 1 and December 31 by diet alone. I lost 20 more this year between Jan 1 and today with diet and exercise. So clearly diet alone can work just fine. Resume exercise when you have healed and doctor gives you the all-clear.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:51 PM   #5  

yes thats good advice thank you. i just know i feel better when i exercise and it helps keep me on track so i dont spoil all that hard work in the gym.

i'll at least try to continue floor pilates and sit ups, leg raises, crunches, reverse bikes etc.

so disheartened.

im on codeine and ibuprofen for the pain though so i need to be careful.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Which ligaments. Not tendons? I struggle with chronic peroneal tendinitis as a result of high arches and damage from a fractured fibula near the insertion. ............ I found the elliptical and the recumbent bike to be the least stressfull on my feet but you do need some time to completely rest it and let some healing take place.

And yes, take it from Eagle River Dee. Exercise is necessary for good health. Not for losing weight.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote