Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #1  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Can anything be done about sore feet?

I've started doing a lot of walking recently, and I enjoy it, but my feet eventually start hurting and I can't keep going. Not in a way that suggests an injury, just getting really sore and swollen. The shoes I wear for walking are the most supportive ones I own, and some of the most supportive ones I've ever found.

I've tried googling a little bit, but all I've found is suggestions to not be overweight, because that makes your feet hurt. Which is not particularly useful.

Does anyone know anything that can help extend the time it takes for your feet to start hurting?
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpalaHoarder View Post
I've started doing a lot of walking recently, and I enjoy it, but my feet eventually start hurting and I can't keep going. Not in a way that suggests an injury, just getting really sore and swollen. The shoes I wear for walking are the most supportive ones I own, and some of the most supportive ones I've ever found.

I've tried googling a little bit, but all I've found is suggestions to not be overweight, because that makes your feet hurt. Which is not particularly useful.

Does anyone know anything that can help extend the time it takes for your feet to start hurting?

I have found that physical therapy did wonders for my feet. A good physical therapist can train you in improving walking techniques, help you make sure you have the right shoes, teach you exercises, give foot massage, etc.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #3  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

ooooo bad memories...

A few years ago, my feet hurt when I walked on hot pavement. Then they started hurting all the time, even when sleeping. I thought it was plantar faciitis, but turned out to be rheumatoid arthritis.

I don't know about delaying the pain, but this taping procedure for plantar faciitis helped me out a lot.
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 119kg/91kg/75kg

Height: 5feet8

I have battled this problem.
I went to a podiatrist - he told me a couple of things that help- firstly the pads on my balls of my feet had worn out some. I get over the counter insoles that help alot with this. Secondly I go back every 6 weeks to have the dead skin removed from my feet. Thirdly I now wear diabetic socks (I don't actually have diabetes), because they have a non elastic top which helps with circulation.
I have also gone to an osteopath to work on my alignment of my legs and ankles.
Using "yoga toes" and other toe stretchers helped as well
On my own I also found Katy Bowman's every woman's guide to foot pain. Her basic exercises have really changed my feet. her ultimate goal of being able to walk barefoot is still not possible for me, but I no longer have everyday foot pain.
lena8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Back when I was running, I found the thing that made the biggest difference for me between sore feet and not was running socks. They are so much more comfortable than regular socks, extra thick, plus supportive. I don't run at all any more, and still all my socks are running socks! This are the ones I use.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...on-low-3-pack/
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #6  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

I don't get much food pain regularly, but I second the OTC insoles for long bouts of walking (get ones with heel, arch, and ball of the foot support - I got some for like $6 that rocked!). They make even the flattest shoes feel comfy! I mean, if you're walking 10+ miles a day (like I was on a recent trip), your feet are still sore, but it's better by morning.

You might also want to pay attention to how you're walking on your feet. That can cause pain if you're walking mostly on your heels or something. My sister has that problem - if she walks too long she walks weird on her feet and they start hurting. When she works on not doing that, it's much better.

Last edited by Penny105; 07-14-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

If you are not walking in Hoka One Ones, then that might be your problem.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 PM   #8  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the ideas, guys! I never would have thought of using compression socks, but I'll try it!

Penny105: That is a good point. I think I definitely do walk a little oddly, especially when I'm tired. Maybe I'll put some effort into learning to do it more correctly.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #9  

Take a look at the shoes you are using! I got new running sneakers in what I thought was the same size and my feet would wind up going numb throughout my run. I thought it was just something happening to me, but it wound up being that my sneakers were a half a size too small! But like others said too, good socks can make a huge difference!
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 206lbs/195lbs/155lbs

Height: 5'11

i have terrible bunions so i know foot pain believe me.. I use to do stints on the treadmill and walking but i found the elliptical was perfect for me . It relieves joints and lessons the stress on your feet . So i'd recommend that. You can even set the resistance to add muscle training in it .
fit_tiff83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #11  
Began WW OPP 7/19/16

S/C/G: 284.6/266.4/195

Height: 5' 8"

Also, water walking in a pool, takes the impact off your feet. If you have a Y near where you live or a gym you could join with a pool.
EMERALDberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's important to go to a podiatrist or an osteopath and make sure everything is physio-structurally ok. Aside from that take really good care of your feet - make sure to soak in Epsom and keep your feet elevated for a while every night. Massages are good too. And also do you walk around barefoot? I know a lot of people who have developed problems from walking around barefoot too much.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote