3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   New to running (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/30613-new-running.html)

ladaha 08-14-2003 12:41 PM

New to running

Any tips I hate to run but oprah has inspired me. She said she hates to run but what does she hate more? running or being fat! I started running monday and My lungs start to burn in the first few min. will that eventually get better or am I breathing wrong? What streatches are the best for my prerun streatch?

LynneD 08-14-2003 02:21 PM

Congratulations!

Ladaha,

This is so great!! Keep it up!!!

It *does* get easier, better, faster, less sucky as you get fitter. :)

There is no wrong way to breath...get that breathe in any way you can. I usually take an in for two foot falls and then an out for two footfalls. But whatever works for you is great!

Sooooo much of running is in your mind, not your lungs. Once I got past the minor discomforts and started to celebrate my running, it got a bit easier.

All that said, no matter *how* fit you are, you'll have good running days and you'll have not-so-good running days...just like life. :)

Take your time, follow a plan, progress slowly. As you lose weight and get fitter, you'll find it a bit easier and more enjoyable. Persistance, not perfection. Stick-to-it-iveness is what counts. :)

I'm running my first marathon this year and keeping a journal of it. If you're interested in reading it, visit lynned.pitas.com

Good luck and feel free to write for support if you need it. :)

lynne
LynneDurham at yahoo dot you know what.

ladaha 08-14-2003 05:06 PM

lynn, thanks for your positive words. How long were you excersizing before you saw a difference in your body?

jeeplaw 08-17-2003 10:31 AM

Hi Ladaha. I'd like to put my 2 cents in as well. Running is a GREAT way of losing weight, making that metabolism mechanism inside your body spin faster and faster, burning more and more calories. It will be EXTREMELY tough to get started. Believe me I know. At my heaviest I was 275lbs. I had so much trouble just breathing no matter running. Well, slowly I started with my set route. Concentrating on breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth. And no matter what your body feels like, try not to walk! It's hard, but at the same time it's a mental challenge. Run slow, or jog slow.

Make sure you have comfy shoes that support you. If not, your joints will really take a beating. Focus on running shoes that fit well, not to tight or loose. This will make a big difference.

Small steps will lead into big steps, big steps into strides, strides into sprints. Believe me. I've been there and done it. Keep your motivation and determination, and the new you will be here sooner than you think.

David

easygoer 08-17-2003 11:54 AM

Hi Ladaha,

Here is a page I used as a guideline for stretching before a run:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Have fun!!

RavenToy 08-17-2003 12:17 PM

Personally I found that the interval training (run/walk/run/walk) worked very well for me to break into running. There was no way in heck that I could have maintained even a slow jog for 20 minutes, let alone a run. But I COULD do a warm up fast walk, then slow run, then faster run, then fast walk, rinse and repeat. This enabled me to build my wind up without getting completely discouraged. I also lifted weights to build up my muscle strength. Now there are some days when I run as fast as I can for as long as I can, then there are days when I interval, some days I like a longer, slower run. IMO all you need to do is listen to your body. I do know that if you can get through the initial "I don't feel like this, my body hurts, I'm slow..." feeling when you first start your run (for me it's the first 10-20 minutes, depending on the day) then usually you're so pumped that it's almost hard to stop. In February when I first started, I couldn't run for more than a tenth of a mile without feeling like I was dying. Now I can run for a mile and a half easy, two miles is a little harder. I haven't attempted three yet. I also found that sometimes, a week off is a good thing. I inadvertantly missed about a week of running, and thought I'd have a terrible time coming back, but instead, I came back even stronger and faster.

Each person has their own style, their own preferred method, and has to experiment to find out what's going to work best for them. But I have to say, running is still one of the most exhilarating feelings going! Good luck!

ladaha 08-17-2003 03:10 PM

easygoer! thanks for the site! It is now on my favorites list. So much of the time if you can not run 2 miles in 10 minutes you are made to feel why the heck are you trying! This site did not do that at all!!!

LynneD 08-18-2003 11:02 AM

ladaha,

I do a very comprehensive wellness program, including eating right and exercising vigorously and often. I started in January, I started noticing results on the scale immediately; I started noticing results in the mirror within a month and other people started noticing results within two months.

I've lost nearly 60 pounds now! :)

Lynne

LynneD 08-18-2003 06:54 PM

I agree completely with what RavenToy said! When I first started running, I, too, did walk/run/walk intervals until I worked my way up to just running. :)

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

ladaha 08-19-2003 12:43 AM

Wahoo! I made it from 10 min walk/run last week to 12 man will I ever make it to 20? I really had to push myself for the last 3 min. Oh well I did it thanks to all who have encouraged me!

scooby2 08-19-2003 06:30 AM

HI there - check our www.newrunner.com they have some great info for new runners!!

ladaha 08-20-2003 12:41 AM

how many days a week do you all run? is 5 to many to expect?

RavenToy 08-20-2003 05:51 AM

Ladaha - I usually run 5 days a week and lift 3, but I also take a week off every couple months. I think a lot of it depends on how much sleep you get, what you eat, what other exercises you're doing.

You definitely will make it to 20, just don't give up. I will never forget the first time I ever got on a treadmill - it was over 11 years ago and I weighed 245 pounds. I couldn't even WALK for more than 5 minutes. I felt horrible. But I kept pushing it each day, just a little bit. That year is a bit of a blur for me, because that's the year my mom passed away and I decided to get a divorce but... I do remember waking up from my fog one day and realizing I was running 10 minutes at a time, and doing a total time of 45 minutes or a total distance of 3 miles. And I'd lost nearly 80 pounds. Unfortunately when I moved down to GA I let myself gain quite a bit of that back, but I'm back into running and lifting again, and it's coming off. This time it's going to STAY off! :D

So whatever you do, don't give up... each walk/run is a victory! :bravo:

LynneD 08-20-2003 03:38 PM

Ladaha,

I run 5-7x weekly, including twice a day sometimes...and I always take at least one day off.

5x weekly might be too much to start out for some people but not others. So just listen to your body. If you're feeling strong, go ahead and do it. If you're getting sore, tired and cranky, back off. You don't want to burn out and sabotage your efforts!

Some of my runs are very short distance-wise (20 minutes of intervals). I do those 3x weekly in the AM. Then, I do 2-3 short- to mid-distance runs a week in the afternoons and one long run on the weekend.

It also helps if you set a goal of doing a race (well, at least it helps me!). Choose one that's far enough out that you know you'll be sufficiently prepared, but close enough that you have to be working on it right up until race time.

Runner's World has some great resources and training plans!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

HatterasMermaid 08-20-2003 11:02 PM

Hello, I'm new to this thread....

I am searching for something "new"...and for whatever reason, I've decided RUNNING is it! Yikes! I have bookmarked the pages suggested above! Will read them as soon as I post this note!

Today, I put on my usual exercise clothes and instead of doing my Firm tape, I stretched a bit and took off down the drive way. I set my goal for the stop sign at the end of my street....I nearly died, but made it there! I walked down the other street a bit until my breathing became easier...and then took off from the stop sign for my driveway. YIKES! I did it...and tomorrow, I'm going to do it again! It is a VERY short distance....but I did it!

My goal for the end of next week: to run there and back without having to walk in the middle...??? I'm not too sure I'm doing this right! LOL

any advice for a VERY new runner....hehehee...so new I don't think it counts!

Thanks,
Robyn
215.5/173/150ish by the end of the year or sooner!

LynneD 08-21-2003 08:49 AM

Hatteras:

It counts! :) Congratulations!

The beginning running plan at newrunner.com is GREAT.

Remember: all it takes is consistency, not perfection.

Welcome to the world of running! Keep up the great work!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

funkmastermel77 08-21-2003 03:55 PM

hi fellow aspiring runners!

i think oprah has the RIGHT idea... and i think 3 years ago, i decided the same thing myself.

i was around 185lbs when i started walk/run and i can say that if you make a commitment to do it every night, even for 20-30 minutes, you can build up your endurance. 3 years, down to 150lbs, i can say running has been a MAJOR factor in my weight loss and sustaining my health and its definitely a major part of my fitness program at 3-4x a week, averaging 3 miles. i couldn't run to the stop sign to save my LIFE, and now 2 miles is no problem, at a steady 5.3 pace. i love running... it clears my head, it makes your head and your body strong... it can be such a mental high... nothing feels as good as a good run!

here are my tips:

*stretch really well before you go. target your back, butt, hips, thighs, and hams especially. but you really want to stretch the whole body good and well so youre flexible.

*stretch after, too. its important so your muscles youre introducing to a joggers life dont get too tight.

*breathe in through your nose, out through your mouth. this will eliminate that sharp pain you might get in your side (which can also be from too little or too much water, but mostly from bad breathing).

*go soft on your knees. concentrate on small steps first, slow pace. dont try to be a sprinter just yet. no one cares what time you finish the race as long as you finish!

*wear appropriate shoes/clothing so you feel comfortable enough for your run.

*interval is good. i live in the city, so when i started running, id run walk one block, run one/ walk one block, run two/ walk one block, run three... so on and so forth. if you can, get someone to join you...

*get a good soundtrack. great music is always a great motivation for me to run. it used to be angry bitter love songs at one point LOL.

good luck!! i hope you all get in the groove!

*mel

HatterasMermaid 08-21-2003 04:23 PM

I just wanted to post that I did my "run" again this morning! I ran to the corner...then did my good ole speed walking to another side street...turned around "speed walked" back to the stop sign and ran home! :) Today it was the run home before I thought I was going to die! Which is 3/4 of the "trip"...instead of death thoughts in the first 1/4 like yesterday! Yipee!

Here is a question...when do you get over worrying about what you look like? Ie, I'm just *SURE* that every car's occupants are laughing their heads off as they pass me......Nothing like having confidence, huh?!

Thanks for the info and encouragement, Mel and Lynne! Lynne, I have visited your site...and have to admit I don't even understand 1/2 of what you're talking about...ie, I don't know the terms! BUT...I find your journey very encouraging!

Mel, I noticed that your highest weight and mine are nearly the same. I've got quite a bit further to go....but...I'm going to get there! :)

thanks, ya'll!
Robyn
215.5/172(I weighed today! yahoo!)/150ish
Thanks!

LynneD 08-21-2003 07:41 PM

Robyn,

Thanks for pointing out the acronym issue. I forget that not everyone is doing the same programs I am. I posted an entry on my journal about what all the acronyms mean, but here's a rundown:

BFL = Body for Life, a weightlifting, cardio, eating program
WW = Weight Watchers
LSD = Long , slow distance
HIIT = high intensity interval training

Did I miss any?

I'm glad today was a day off on my training plan...it topped out at 101 near my home!

Lynne
lynned.pitas.com

funkmastermel77 08-22-2003 10:33 AM

hey there hatteras:

congrats on having a good run. it feels so good doesnt it?

i used to have that self-conscious thing too. what i like to do sometimes is wear a hat/glasses (one or both) and my walkman and just try to push it out of my head anyway. i was always thinking they were laughing at me... and then i started running through the city streets and used idly walking people as i ran by--cause id have this fear in my head that if i stopped theyd be thinking "well why did she even try..." god, i know all about those thoughts! but, i suffered and perservered through it... and i can tell you, im better for it!

if you keep at this, i promise youll see such a positive result within 2 months and by 6 months you'll start to really feel strong. the thing is, for me, running is a very mental thing... its overcoming your fears, challenging your body, and then chlallenging your mind to cut out the madness and push you to keep going until you feel like you want to die... and with a strong mind, youll be surprised how much more you can go!!

good luck!
*melanie

HatterasMermaid 08-22-2003 10:48 AM

Hi again!

Just *HAD* to tell this thread that I did it again! I ran to my corner this morning, did a bit of speed walking, actually decided to run to another stop sign, speed walked back to my orignial corner and ran back home. Of course, this distance is pitifully short, but MAN am I proud of it! LOL

Thanks so much, Lynne, for the acronym explaination! :) I can't wait to read more of your journal and journey to the marathon! Especially NOW that I know what you're talking about! LOL

*Melanie , I am doing this running/walking thing on rather rural roads..no sidewalks...and no crowds...no one to hide behind! Today my neighbor actually went by....I waved like I do when I'm out raking the yard! I decided that THAT was the best way to deal with the people I know who REALLY are looking at me! Thank you for your encouragement to get through these fears and mental issues! (my words, not yours!)

My legs are screaming at me this morning...but I will go again tomorrow morning! It isn't my knees, it is my muscles! I have sort of gotten to the point where I like the way my muscles feel when they have been exercised! :) Beats the heck out of the other aches and pains felt...the ones from being fat and out of shape!

....So, I'll go read some more on the beginning runners page. I know that I have GOT to get some good shoes soon! Thanks for the support and encouragement!

Thanks again,
take care,
Robyn....the HatterasMermaid

HatterasMermaid 08-23-2003 08:29 AM

Stretched a LOT this morning before I took off down the driveway! I also walked and increased my speed slowly to warm up a bit! SEE, I am reading and learning and listening to you all! :)

Today felt great! Well....until I had only about 3 "houses" to go to reach my driveway on my return trip... Melanie, YOU are the reason that I went the rest of the way! So that I could type that I went further than I thought that I could! :)

Later this morning, I'm going to drive out and see how far (or NOT) I'm actually going...and to plot a new path! I think I might be liking this! ....RIGHT...Day 4 done! I sure talk big, don't I?!

:) Robyn

FrugalChick 08-23-2003 06:37 PM

I got up at 6 am to go running with my SIL. She came and knocked on my door, and when I didn't answer, she went home and went back to bed! I did get up and walk when it was still dark outside and I thought about this thread. Half way around my circuit, I decided to run. I only ran to the stop sign...and I have to ask--how do you do it?

I didn't have a sports bra on, but I thought I was pretty well supported..until I started running! :o I really hurt. Do sports bras really work? I've never gotten them because they are in the tiny section of the intimates department..the part I've never gone in even when I was a bitty thing...lol

Any thoughts or ideas?

HatterasMermaid 08-23-2003 07:58 PM

Hey Frugal Chick,

...You ran to my GOAL! That beloved stop sign! The one I nearly KISS when I reach it! :) GOOD for you! I'm STILL a very beginner... BUT, I'm going to do this! I *AM* going to run!

About the sports bra...
I discovered earlier this year how WONDERFUL and how necessary sports bras are when you (I) exercise. I began doing The Firm tapes in May. I did one tape before I decided that I *HAD* to figure out what to do about the support or lack there of! I have no idea what size you need, however, sports bras are made in a variety of sizes (from bitty to biggie!) and I literally purchased my first one in Walmart (wouldn't want to spend a fortune on something that I knew I'd hate!) WHOOOOHOOO! What a difference! GO get one! Strap *them* down...and take off to that stop sign! :)

Private Message me, if you want to talk further regarding bras...or my love of that BELOVED stop sign! :) I think that once you get over the "hang up" of shopping for one (and YES, I *DO* know what THAT is like!..I've got a hang up about EVERYTHING! LOL) you will love the difference and the support!

What a HOOT! *ME* offering advice to someone! Hehehehee!

take care,
Robyn

FrugalChick 08-23-2003 08:01 PM

LOL, thanks Robin

ladaha 08-23-2003 08:19 PM

Hey Chicks!
I was getting discouraged about running and missed 2 days in a row. I do not own a scale. I went to my moms today and I lost 8 lbs!! I am running tonight!!

lol
Ladaha

HatterasMermaid 08-23-2003 08:36 PM

WhoooHoooo, Ladaha! Congratulations! :) How long have you been running?! Ie, when can I expect to see a change in my weight! :)

Keep going!
Robyn

ladaha 08-23-2003 10:57 PM

I have been running for 2 weeks

WEEEEEE I AM ON A HIGH

FrugalChick 08-24-2003 09:54 AM

Aren't natural highs the best?!:D

HatterasMermaid 08-25-2003 10:24 PM

Do you know how dark it is in my part of Virginia at 5:30? I think it was still NIGHT time! I waited 15 minutes and it got a tad more light.... I have to leave for work at 7. I must do my "thing" before work as I KNOW that it won't get done after..... Guess I need to get over my "scared of the dark issues"!

I'm beginning my 2nd week! :) I CAN do this! I CAN do this!

FrugalChick 08-25-2003 11:08 PM

I'm scared of the dark too...:lol: Glad I'm not the only one. But walking or running in the am is just so relaxing...

ladaha 08-26-2003 12:00 AM

Heyhey, I made an increase of 4 min. on my 12 minute run/walk. I have to say that the first half was not pure torcher. I was suprised that it was not "like pulling teeth" as my run/walk for the last 2 weeks have been. I even went while having my monthly cramps that had me laying in pain 4 hours ago! :dancer: :bravo:

Ladaha

FrugalChick 08-26-2003 06:49 AM

I bet the walking helped eased the cramps. I know exercise always helps me in that dept.

LynneD 08-26-2003 03:19 PM

Add my name to the list of women who don't like to run in the dark. This is another one of the fears that I want to overcome.

I do not live in a bad neighborhood. I'm strong and athletic (well, now I am!). But I just can't seem to get past this thing yet.

Case in point: I get up at 4:30 3x weekly to go lift. I'm preparing for a December adventure race, so I wanted to add bicycling on Tuesday and Thursday early mornings. I just couldn't make myself do it!!

I *will* get over this...just not sure when or how.

Lynne
(who ran 14.5 miles straight through last Saturday! I *still* can't believe it! Woo hoo!!)
lynned.pitas.com

HatterasMermaid 08-26-2003 07:04 PM

Wow, Lynne! What a great run! ....14.5 miles! ? ! WOW! LOL That sure makes my run to my stop sign look EVEN more pathetic than I thought! LOL What a great, wonderful acomplishment!

My son joined me this am on my walk/run. He is 11.5 and asked to join me! He was great company! I wasn't NEARLY as "afraid" with him! LOL...my protector...my kiddo! LOL Actually, I must have told him 1000 times, and I quote, "Do NOT run into me with that bike, MR!" :)

I live in a very rural area. We do have 1 known pervert who lives within a 1/2 mile of us...other than that...it isn't the crime that scares me! The PITCH black added with all the shadows and barking dogs ...well, OK the known perv doesn't THRILL me either! In my county, we have NO streetlights, NO sidewalks, NO leash laws, AND the roads are all "designed" to have a hump in the middle going down into deep ditches for drainage. (Don't tell me not to run on this...cause...THIS is the only place that I have to do it!)

about the dogs.....WHAT do I do about dogs who run up to me barking. First you must know that I not only HATE dogs (please forgive me!) but I'm DEATHLY afraid of them! I am totally UNeducated about this...can any one advise?

(and thanks for letting me know that I'm not the ONLY sunlight lovin gal around!)

Take care,
Robyn

HatterasMermaid 08-26-2003 07:16 PM

sorry....I should not have used the word "pervert" here. I am sure there is a more PC way of stating that he is a known sexual deviant who has served time in prison for sexual crimes (against women and children) that he was found guilty of. (actually he admitted to them) ...I'm still not PC...but well....forgive me please!

There is a guy in the neighborhood who is very scary. There...enough!

FrugalChick 08-26-2003 07:40 PM

Well, call me un-PC as well. I wasn't the least bit offended by your comment. He is what he is. :(

LynneD 08-27-2003 03:54 PM

Ladaha,

Congratulations on the increased walk/run time! That's fabulous!

Robyn,

Your run to the stop sign is just as important as my 14.5 miles, and that's *exactly* where I was in January of this year. Keep on trucking to that stop sign and we'll be reading about your 14.5 mile runs in no time! :)

Regarding dogs: I'm a dog lover but I do NOT like to encounter loose dogs while I am running. We are a dog family, but we are respectful of others and leash our pet. I've been charged by loose boxers, pit bulls, labs -- you name it.

My usual tack is to face the dog, stand my ground firmly, stomp my foot and yell, "Stop. Go home!" I was told that as pack animals, dogs respond to an authoritative voice. So far, it's worked. I'm not sure what I'll do when it doesn't.

Someone once recommended that I carry a mini, easy-open umbrella...the kind where you just push a button and it pops open. That way, if a dog is charging you, you open it right before s/he gets to you. The sudden action of the opening startles the dog away and it puts a (admittedly thin) point of protection between you and the dog.

And a pervert's a pervert. No sense being PC about it all!

Good luck to all on their runs!

Lynne

HatterasMermaid 08-27-2003 08:35 PM

Wow, Lynne! How motivating! :) January?! WOW! Thanks for the encouragement....and I am grinning from ear to ear at the thought of ME going 14.5 miles! LOL

I can stand and stomp and yell at kids! (I teach!) BUT....I'm not so sure on my feet with dogs! I will try it when the situation requires it again! Today was day #2 with no doggies! Whew! I sort of like the umbrella thing...I just don't know if I am able to carry even the smallest one right now! LOL

Oh, btw, I weighed this morning. This was day #7 of my run/walk plan. Since my last weigh in on Thursday, I have lost 1.5 pounds! :) toooooo cool!

thanks for the support of my word choice....hehe! I didn't want to offend... But THAT guy is one creep I don't want to meet up with!

take care,
Robyn

ladaha 08-28-2003 12:42 AM

Wow I just finished my 16 min. R/W and I ran 1/2 way run 1 walk 1. I really had to pull myself into the front yard. I had my dog with me and he needed a little "time" in the front yard. I almost fell down on the ground cuz my leggs felt like jelly! lol

I will weigh in on saturday I hope I have lost more! I will be thrilled with even 1 lb! That would put me under 180!
:cb: :dance:

ladaha