Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:44 AM   #1  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Arrow 'I will burn it in the next workout' syndrome

It's all in the title and I need once again the wisdom and infinite tips bank that this forum represents for this one problem. How do you manage it through this feeling, like... Saying yes to food when you shouldn't just because you'll be working out and burning that?
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I remind myself that that type of thinking led me to bingeing, exercising for hours on end, injuring my foot, and ultimately a regain of all of my weight plus 10 more. I've been down that road and I don't like what's at the end of it.

What also helps me is planning out the days exercise and eating the night before. I commit to a certain amount of exercise and I fuel accordingly. If I plan a 3 mile run, I don't do 4 because I feel good or I ate too much. By the same token, if I schedule an appointment to exercise, I do it unless I'm hurting or something huge comes up.

One other thing is that I try to keep exercise separate from weight loss in my head. I exercise because I enjoy it and I eat to perform my best at it. Overeating may be offset by a couple extra miles run, but they won't be my best miles with a belly full of chicken wings and beer.

Hope that helps!
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/152/125

Height: 5'4"

I never try to calculate calories burned during exercise. My daily caloric limit is the same every day and it takes into consideration the fact that I exercise 3-6 times/week. I think this helps me avoid what some call "exercise bulimia."

Also, what Streudel said about keeping exercise and weight loss separate. That's really important.
Violette_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:02 AM   #4  

Streudel explained it well. As I plan when/how I exercise and eat everyday, the only reason I would consider to "exercise to burn" is if I eat off-plan. If I do eat off-plan (which happens!), I try to say "Well, that didn't go as planned--I'll do better tomorrow." Forgiveness is key. Otherwise, you make exercise become a punishment.
memememe76 is offline   Reply With Quote