Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #1  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Default Is anyone else trying to get big or is it just me?

Well, I started off on 3FC trying to lose weight. Which I did quite well. I lost the fat but the muscle went with it.

Anyway, with the lifestyle change I got quite into exercise, namely running, boxing and weight training.

The issue, of course, is that the weight training and (to some extent) the boxing add muscle if you combine them with an appropriate diet. Which I try to do.

So I am now in the peculiar situation of having focused on losing weight, specifically fat, to trying to gain weight, specifically muscle. Which is weird. But nice. But weird.

I feel like I have had to break myself down to build myself up.

Anyone else trying to gain?

Last edited by IanG; 02-15-2015 at 07:47 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #2  

No right now, but yes, when not pregnant.

Before this (surprise) pregnancy, I had lost most of my weight and was close enough to goal that I had gotten into weight lifting, though probably not to the extent that you are talking about. While doing a full body routine, I was mostly focused on squats and I just started dead lifts, with my main goal to build muscle in my butt, which is probably a bit more of a woman's goal. Anyway, I wasn't trying to get heavily into lifting, but I finally realized that weight lifting (not just running) which I have been doing for years, was what I needed to really create the body I wanted, athletic and toned...

I got side track with my pregnancy, mostly because I wasn't already lifting heavy when I got pregnant, so I had to be careful with what I did and couldn't increase my fitness goals. I've continued a very modified upper body routine, and cardio (running and now cycling.

Once I have the baby, I have to lose weight again, but this time I plan to start more serious weight lifting much sooner in my weight loss journey rather than waiting until I am close to goal like I did last time.

I am not trying to see the scale go up (even if at goal) but I'm not looking for those tiny numbers anymore either. I will have to re-think my goals because I know with a focus on weight lifting, I won't be needing those lower weights on the scale to look good. But I'm not necessarily looking for "gains" either...

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 02-17-2015 at 12:30 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I'm sure some guys are. I know on nerd fitness forum there's a lot of guys over there trying to bulk up. That's awesome your focus has switched to that. Unfortunately I'm not trying to up weight, but I am trying to get stronger. Sorry Ian I'm sure you'll find others soon!
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote