Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:24 AM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default C25k again and a note of caution to heavy joggers

Hi all, I'm starting c25k soon.

I'm back at 320+ and I'm being forced into ad-dressing the issue due to lack of clothes that fit. (see what I did there.)

now before I start c25k I will be trying to shift around 20lb. I have previously completed c25k around 3 years ago. I led to me doing 5k races 10k races, off road 10k trail races. half marathons (pb 2.28) and dropping down to around 250.

However and here is the warning to all. like most modern runners/joggers I who take it up later in life I am a terrible heel striker. now I'm not going to go into the whole bare foot running on your toe running shoes are bad for you discussion because there isn't time. The issues for me started during a half marathon 16 months ago and pretty much stopped me running. heel pain.

Not in the heel as such more the back of the arch of my foot very close the heel. I had the usual runners saying plantar this and new shoes that. The issue is one of weight and technique. i) by running on my heel not my fore foot my arch was starting to collapse under the strain. ii) this causes the tendon running around the inside of your ankle to become pulled tight on the bone. the rubbing makes it sore and is usually the first sign. the condition also causes the arch to start to collapse first.

the condition is called posterior tibial tendonitis. it is linked to many issues. Such as heel striking, weight and muscle tightness. tight calves is a huge problem as it pulls the tendon tight from the other end to the arch.

Result pain. lots of pain. no running. no walking I actually was hobbling for weeks. The cure was high density arch support insoles. however all this did was support a weak arch not sort out the underlying issue. due to the severity of my issue I'm needing inserts just to be able to walk properly.

why am I typing all this out. well 1. STRETCH properly after exercise. Dynamic stretch to warm up static stretch to cool down. 2. do foot strengthening exercises. balance boards using barefoot/sock. tip toes etc. 3. if you feel a pain in your ankle that appears after running and doesn't go as soon or just after you stop head to the physio get it looked at. a physio will cost you sure but so will listening to everyone say new shoes. after which you'll end up paying for physio anyway.

so enough of that the upshot is over 12 months with no real running. and nearly 80lb put on. This time I will be doing c25k ensuring proper technique to minimise future injury. If anyone is going to 'learn' to run again after not running in many years make sure you learn to run properly.

I highly recommend books by guys like Eric orton/scott jarek and an old british runner called Gordon pirie who wrote running fast and injury free.

Please avoid my mistakes.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Best of luck to you. It seems odd to me to continue pursuing running when it's caused so many injuries, are there other interests you have that you can do instead? Something that will be less stressful on your body?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

The reason for injuries is that I'm not running correctly. the poor technique and lack of attention I've paid to stretching is the cause of injury not 'running' itself.

Running appears to be the only sport in which we participate and just assume that we can do it and 'its just the way I run' if you swim play golf tennis climb or numerous other sports you get taught how to do it safely and correctly. Running it seems we can just step out of the door and start and assume we know what we are doing.

I do like cycling but around here it is leathal. bus drivers are blind

Last edited by slimmingsi; 01-27-2015 at 09:27 AM.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote