Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #1  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Gym/Schedule Help

Looking for some ideas. More of logistical ideas that maybe I haven't thought of.

I was once a 5 day a week kinda gal at the gym. I LOVED it. That's not my issue.

My issue is:

My gym was 7 minutes from my hosue.
My work was 10 minutes from my house.
I went to bed at 10pm.
I got up at 5am, went to the gym and was at work by 730am.
I worked until 430pm.
Was home by 445pm.

Then we moved.

There *IS* a gym nearby (though not on my way).
My work is now 45 minutes from my house.
I go to bed at 930pm.
I get up at 430am.
I have to be at work by 6am now.
I work until 4pm and am home by 515 (traffic is terrible).
I work 4, 10 hour days a week. Which means I'm exhausted and typically manage to talk myself out of working out by the time I get home.

I have thought about joining one of the 24/7 fitness places, but honestly, that would require me getting up at 330am and that doesnt seem realistic. I LOVE working out in the morning. It makes my whole day better. I'm just not sure how to do it now.

I do have some flexibility in my hours; however, I do those hours because traffic is a nightmare and will double my commute if I leave earlier/later.

I have a husband and an 11 week old puppy, so my time isn't just my own.

Thoughts? Advice?

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 01-14-2015 at 09:45 AM.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

You have to make time if gym/exercise is what you want to do.

You have three options and another.

The three options are before work, before lunch or after work.

I work out twice a day and choose to do before work (I wake up at 4.45am) and before lunch (I go to the gym at lunch and eat at my desk after). Evening workouts do not feel good to me.

The another is the weekends. Use them to work out to give you more wiggle room in the week. Yes, this may mean giving up sleeping late in bed.

Another another is don't use the gym. You might consider buying free weights for your home, running outside or doing these DVDs a lot of people here seem to like.

Good luck. Find the time.

Last edited by IanG; 01-14-2015 at 10:18 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:32 AM   #3  
Sassafrass

Yes, you're right Ian. It's a matter of making time for it.

I suppose 3 days a week are better than no days a week. For some weird reason, the weekends don't feel like they count (which is so dumb on my behalf.)

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 247/161/132

Height: 5'6"

Is there a gym closer to your work? Is there a chance for you do walk/do something at lunch hour? Can you break your workout "up" per se?
Sister has a 45 minute commute to work too in ugly traffic. She leaves at 6am to get to work. She has a membership at a chain that offers what she's looking for, so she has multiple locations she can hit if she needs.
She walks at lunchhour.
She leaves for the gym around 5pm, hits her gym does her workout, and is home for dinner at 8pm at night. She goes for a 3 mile walk before bed. She's in bed around 11pm. Repeat.
She has 2 kids, a husband and a dog.
Her weekends are even busier, being a chauffeur and all. Lots of walking, early morning exercise class. And no, her husband does not work out with her, he does his own thing.
If there's a will there's a way.
misspixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #5  
Sassafrass

Pixie - yes, where there's a will there's a way...

I have the will, I'll find the way.

Maybe I just needed to post this here to have y'all remind me. LOL

Thanks!

Side note: I actually don't typically take a lunch. I'm either in meetings or work through it, eating at my desk. (If I did take a lunch, we only get 30 minutes, so not much time to do anything at all.)
Old 01-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #6  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

i also loved getting up early to exercise in the summer....maybe try it for a week or so, commit to just that week or so, and see what you think of it...or maybe just 2 out of your 4 workdays, and see how that feels....

i dont like working out after i get home from work either because i'm usually mentally too tired to push myself anymore by that time....perhaps something gentle in the evenings like a long walk or a yoga class??

i'm just throwing out ideas...if i was in that position, those would be the two things i would try first...as well as take a good look at what i'm eating and how much because i remember losing the first part of my weight without any exercise at all
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

My gym schedule isn't very consistent, but I belong to two gyms. One I prefer in the morning and the other I prefer in the evenings or weekend anytime. I have to leave around 4:30am to work out and get back before my fiancé leaves for work so that my daughter isn't home alone.
On some days I can get out early enough and there are no scheduled child dance classes, Girl Scouts, school events, or yoga. I go straight from work and I can rush a work out and pick up the little one by 6pm.

I would sign up for a fitness class (yoga, Zumba, HIIT) for maybe two working evenings and just work out at the gym on your three days off.

Last edited by Munchy; 01-16-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #8  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

I prefer working out in the evenings because mama likes her sleep. That being said, you have to find the time....so IF I had no choice at all, I would totally get up at 4:30am and go to my gym, and gripe and complain about it. But I'd do it
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #9  
Sassafrass

Update! In the last week I've just made the time. I've scheduled it into my day (morning or night) and not let excuses over ride my "appointments" with my running shoes.

Thanks all! Sometimes you just need a kick in the @ss!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:50 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Nice work!
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #11  
One Day at a Time!

Gosh that is tough. But number one is that you have to find time to workout. Maybe get in a walk during your lunch, or get in 30 min when you get home. Good luck
ryanbrowning115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 360/347.6/199

I know getting up at 330am seems ridiculous, but are you able to get to sleep earlier so it doesn't feel so early? Maybe in bed by 8? Just kind of **** your while day back.

Glad to hear you've been able to make time for it though!
thewickedcityx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 AM   #13  
Less of a Better Me

I couldn't exercise that early in the morning. I could exercise in the evenings and on the weekends. The day you get off (since you work 4 days) - is that Friday?

Go to the gym, Fri, sat, Sun and maybe one evening during the week?

Other alternative might be to do some exercise at home.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #14  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Could you get into working out at home? I started doing things like P90X and Insanity at home and found that I enjoyed it more and it was more effective than going to the gym. And over time, it saves money.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote