Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Toe nail creepiness

I've just noticed that I'm losing by big toe nail!! And I'm having a creepy issue over this. It's sort of slam tinting over my skin on the side and blackened at the base with a bump. It didn't hurt UNTIL I noticed it I've started runn ing the past 4 weeks and now I'm convinced I need better fitting shoes. Does anyone else have or had this problem?? I'm soaking my feet as we speak. I almost can't bear with dealing with it but I will put my big girl panties on and carry on. Any suggestions. *gag*
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #2  

There's half a nail underneath!! I'm not so good when crap like this happens to me. Lol. Animal yes ( vet nurse lol) me no. Don't think fungal cause , well I've never had fungal before hahaha. The half of nail lifts off! I'm soaking and trying to gently trim. Gruesome. The hip is good thanks. Good ol stretching and not running faster than I can handle has helped thx
Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 AM   #3  

Think it was damaged from running. Half way thru C25K now
Old 07-12-2014, 11:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

Sounds like runners toe. I had it too and didn't realize it till one day I bumped my toe and 1/2 the nail popped up! Didn't hurt (the nail was dead). I actually had TWO nails growing under it...another one that had tried to grow but ended up damaged and died and then the new one growing in. Foot doctor removed the top nail, most of the other dead one, and had high hopes for the third. He was right! Sounds grosser than what it is and no it didn't hurt. He did scold me for my ill fitting shoes and stressed the importance of good shoes (he didn't say expensive) and urged me to purchase shoes that offered more support. He also recommended that I have my foot sized and if I fell in between shoes sizes to choose the larger size. Shoes that are too small cause this problem.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #5  

Terrible. It's tender and trimmed what I could. You can see half a nail underneath. I put a bandaid on it to help it stay while it grows out. Don't need catching it on anything !! Getting fitted tomorrow for appropriate shoes. Didn't do it in beginning cause if I didn't stick with it I would have wasted money. But if I had done it I wouldn't be panicking over this toe lol. Thanks for your advice ladies
Old 07-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #6  

As long as no infection and pain, and with the correct shoes do you think I can still carry on with the running? I'm in the middle of c25k and I find running enjoyable exercise too. I'm worried if I stop I will fall back on the program and weight will gain
Old 07-12-2014, 06:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'6"

Hard running or extreme hiking will do that and I agree, a lot depends on shoes.

I don't worry about it now. My toe nails (all except the little ones on both sides) have gone and the skin underneath is all bruised and black. They have remained so for at least 6 months. I purchased my shoes for $300 before I knew about such things. So yes, do go get your shoes customised for you as far as possible.
magical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:25 PM   #8  

I forgot to mention that for 3 weeks prior to running I was hiking a trail 2.5 miles 2-3 times a week. With severe incline and decline. In different shoes that were too small so I bought cheap running ones in a bigger size but need proper fitted ones now. Right. So that solves it. It's the shoes and hard exercise. Well at least I'm only running and I really really enjoy it. The hiking not so much.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

This happened to me recently as well after a lot of running. My podiatrist said not to worry and get proper fitting shoes.

Hope this helps!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #10  

I went to a running store today , was analyzed and videod on the treadmill running along with gait/position ankle/ Achilles etc. and purchased my first ever running shoes designed for me and my feet. Took them for a test ride and love them!! They were on sale too! Bonus. Best £65 ever spent. They are new balance and we have started a beautiful relationship. I tried on a few others and immediately knew they weren't right. Also have a 30 day guarantee. If once I start running and realize they aren't right they will refit and give me another shoe in exchange
Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #11  

Oh yeah the toe is doing ok too. No pain no redness etc. I'm covering it and keeping toes untainted to monitor it growing out. Doesn't hurt when I run but will stop if it becomes sore