Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 258/146ish/146ish

Height: 5' 5

Ran the bypass yesterday and did 5.5 easy miles. I really enjoyed the change of scenery and the overpass did add some elevation. My plan was to do this again this morning and extend it but it is raining. Now, I do run in the rain, snow, and sleet when I run before work. However, since I don't have work, my plan is to get some house hold chores out of the way and run mid afternoon when the front should be out of my area.

I saw a new bird on my run yesterday. Unfortunately, it was dead I mentioned it to my husband and he said it was a Meadowlark. I googled it and confirmed that.

I'll update after my run!

Last edited by monmis12; 10-16-2013 at 07:55 AM.
monmis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I did 3 this morning. I so hate getting up early but I did it and had a decent run. Typically my early morning runs are really slow but I pushed myself and each mile was faster than the previous. And my final mile was a minute and half faster than my first! It was nice.

I might convince myself to go tomorrow morning too. I'm super tired so I should sleep well which will help me get up early.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

I hope that you were able to get your run in this afternoon, monmis.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #34  

Great run lizzyg.

I did run 5.5 miles yesterday. I did housework literally all day, took a short power nap, and then went for my run. Really love the route. I'm thinking of running it after work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. After my run, I went to a kettleworks class. No run today as I have my 5k race tomorrow night. I will do a muscleworks class today though.

Last edited by monmis12; 10-17-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #35  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Ran 4 miles with puppy,went to 1st accupunture apt for my feet {ie my back] trying some alternatives REALLY do not want the surgrey!!!! Still trying to get an apt with top neuosurgen in Vegas.{hes been out of the office}
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 AM   #36  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Everyone is doing so well with runs!!! Hoping to get a quick 3 miles in tonight & I have a 5k trail run Sunday I'm looking forward to. Enjoy the Fall weather everyone!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #37  

Well, today is race day. I have a 5k tonight. At last Saturday's 5k, I was really psyched out with my foot as to whether I could run on it or should run on it. Turns out, my foot was fine but I mentally, I wasn't really "in the zone" and got one of my slower times and walked some. I still got a 2nd place medal so maybe it was meant to be(my walking I mean). I truly believe I walked because I let myself walk

Tonight, my goal is to hopefully get close to my PR and not walk of course. I'll post tonight or tomorrow about the results.

I'm thinking of going to my gym today for a aerobic/kettlebell class. If I go, I will be doing the low impact version... Of course, the only reason I would go is because this is my last day of vacation and I'm bored I've had the week off and the house is clean and I've watched one too many episodes of Law and Order

lm3898, I envy you on the trail run. I'm hesitant to do one as I'm worried about stepping wrong and twisting my ankle or tripping. I know I would obviously be running slower, but still! Have you done a lot of trail running?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #38  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

Awesome, a running thread!

Hi everyone

I overcame a distance barrier of mine today. I usually can't seem to get passed 6kms and the non-stop wind NZ has been experiencing the past week or two hasn't been helping. However, after seeking advice from a friend who suggested I slow down and taking my own advice to push past my mental barriers, I finally did more than 6kms (3.72 miles). In fact, I did 10 (6.2 miles)! My feet were nearly dragging by the time I finished, but I'm so glad I finally achieved my 8km (4.97 miles) goal.

Now to do it again! Hah!

P.S. Is anyone using Runkeeper?

Last edited by Rhiko; 10-18-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/169

Height: 5'3"

Hey all! Glad to find this thread and am hoping some of you more experienced runners will have some advice for me...

I'm bumping up against a mental barrier around distance as I'm preparing for my first 10K race in a few weeks. I've been running for about a 6 months, and worked my way up to about 4 3m runs per week. That distance is super comfortable for me, and I've inched up to 4m runs pretty comfortably.

But I'm facing my first 5m "long run" this weekend, and I'm pretty nervous. My lungs/legs are fine at 4m, but I seem to get discouraged (even bored?) about 2/3 of the way through my runs even if I finish fine. So the added distance is intimidating!

How do you guys prepare mentally to increase your distance?
JennyJumpUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 230.8/199.5/150

Height: 5'2

Reading about all of your runs is totally inspiring! I just finished week 2 of Couch to 5k and am nowhere near your 3/5/10 mile accomplishments. I did 2.27 miles yesterday in 30 minutes and I was thrilled. Makes me sound silly compared to all of you! Hoping to get better/stronger/faster in the weeks to come on the program.
amt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #41  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Back from Maine, and the running (and hiking!) there was spectacular, really enjoyed it!

Now that I'm back home in Florida I'm back on my treadmill -- did a nice 4 miler this morning while watching Breaking Bad on Netflix. I may have to increase my distance a bit to run the whole time the show is on, because I'm enjoying it so much!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #42  

Rhiko Great job on getting past your mental barrier. I have a favorite bootcamp instructor who likes to say "its all between the ears." I feel that way a lot when I run. My mind says, slow down, walk, or its too hard but if I don't listen, I can get past the feeling. I think a lot of it is confidence.

JennyJumpUp You can do it! I feel that way too when I run a longer distance than I ever have. You can do that extra mile. I know when I run, I sometimes feel like "is this really fun" but that moment passes eventually and once i finish, I'm so proud of myself! Good Luck!

Amt6 Everyone starts somewhere, believe me! Your doing great. Keep going and you'll be surprised how much easier it gets.

MrsSnark I'm jealous about your Maine trip including the hiking. I grew up in Northern Vermont... Of course, I was never really physically active in my younger years and went on some hikes but not near as many as I wish I did.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #43  
Updating my software ;)

S/C/G: KGs: 82 / ?? / 55

Height: 5ft

monmis12 Agreed. Typically when I start feeling like I want to give up, I push myself to do another kilometre and 'see how I feel'. How did your 5k race go?

amt6: Your time and distance are fantastic! I did the same time and distance as you on my first go. Keep it up, you're doing an awesome job
Rhiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 AM   #44  

Well it was a fun race. It supported the National Kidney Foundation. I ended up placing fourth in my age group of about 20 other women. Go Figure! The age group below and above me was not as competitive. I did run the whole thing but didn't get close to my PR. I seem to be getting slower Not sure why. I'm going to try and add a longer run in into my training. It was fun though. Got my first long sleeve technical shirt... They had pizza, cookies, and Krispy Kreme and my husband ate his share and mine. I'm never hungry right after a race. It takes a good hour and a half for me to even feel hungry. I bypassed that food and went home and made some cheesy grits(Hey I do live in the South)!

Last edited by monmis12; 10-19-2013 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #45  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Headed out for a Breast Cancer run today,will do 10k if goes as planned. i have been running shorter and slower since I have been running with my Aussie pup.
She's faster but have to go slower for safety.I run on a lot of old dirt roads that are no longer used much the same as trail running only a bit wider.
SO today I will run alone ( or should I say without her) race gets a good turn out my third for this one.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote