Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8''

Default Am I doing enough for just starting out?

Okay so, I haven't broken out in a run in probably 2 years. I'm 25, 5'8 and 246lbs. I really can't exercise for long periods at a time, I get winded to the point where it hurts too much, and I quit. So I thought I'd do shorter bursts during the day, with a C25K routine in the evening.

So, here's my plan/schedule: in the morning, I want to do a Leslie Sansone walking program, maybe the 2k. It's only 30mins, and I think it would be a great start to the day, to kind of get my heart rate up and get me going. Then, during the day I'd randomly do a 5-10min burst of like, Dance Central, Your Shape, something like that on the Kinect (I did the cardio boxing this morning for like 10mins and I got drenched and very uncomfortable, even though I only burned like 20cals). Finally, in the evening, I'd do a C25K exercise outside (haven't started it yet).

Do you think that's enough? I know it seems like overkill, but really, none of this (except probably the C25K) is really going to make me work HARD. I mean, in my condition, even the Your Shape bit kicked my butt, but after 5mins of sitting down, I'm back to normal again. Can I get results without going for 1hr sessions or workouts of very high intensity?
FatCroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #2  

Yeah--it looks like you've got a busy exercise plan. And one that's doomed to fail if you have other things to do during the day? I know in my day--there is no way I am going to split up my exercise habit. I have to do it all at once--over an hour period. What time of the day is most convenient to you--morning or night doesn't matter.

The important thing is--is to be consistent with any program you start. Start out slow--but be consistent. As far as feeling uncomfortable at first--that is to be expected.

Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8''

See, my problem is the other way around. With a 4yo, a dog, and two cats constantly around (I stay at home during the week and work weekends, mostly), I really can't think of a time when I can take an hour to just go exercise in peace. And even if I did, I'd probably quit if I didn't have someone there for accountability. I can really only do something ALONE in the evening, when my SO is home and can be with the little one. So, that's when I'm doing the outdoor stuff (again, only for 30mins). The morning routine is something I want to do almost like a morning meditation thing, the Your Shape and Dance Central bits are so fun you don't even realize you're exercising, so that leaves the C25K as the only real exercise bit I do.

Oh, plus the SO and I are doing sort of a little competition to see who loses the most, so I have motivation to do a lot while he's at work!
FatCroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #4  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

I think your plan is fine. The most important part is that you exercise regularly. Don't start making excuses to skip this or skip that. As long as you stick with it, you'll find it will get easier over time, and you can then step things up. That's what I did.

I'm 55 and until March 11, I was a smoker. I quit smoking and starting exercise/dieting on that day (the 11th). I've now lost 35 lbs, or an average of 1.7 lbs a week (which is high considering my age). When I began, I could walk on the treadmill at about 2.8 mph for 10 minutes...and that's it...which is pretty pathetic! But I simply wasn't capable of doing any more than that, given my age, fitness level (non-existent) and too many years of smoking. So, I started with that, weak though it was and I made myself add a little more each week -- either a higher intensity (such as increasing my speed) or going any 5 or 10 minutes. Yes, those extra five minutes were hard, but you'd be amazed how much easier they become after a little while.

Today, only 5 months later, I now power walk for at least an hour at an average rate of 3.5 mph, plus I do a 20-30 minute bike ride (outside), plus a 15-20 minute strength workout with weights (upper body one day, lower body the next), plus I've recently added 15-20 minutes on the elliptical. Some may think that's still not much, but I am 55 after all!

So, do what you can at first, but make a conscious effort to increase things a bit each week. Push yourself to do a bit extra each week...and before you know it, you'll be doing a lot more. Good luck!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
I think your plan is fine. The most important part is that you exercise regularly. Don't start making excuses to skip this or skip that. As long as you stick with it, you'll find it will get easier over time, and you can then step things up. That's what I did.

I'm 55 and until March 11, I was a smoker. I quit smoking and starting exercise/dieting on that day (the 11th). I've now lost 35 lbs, or an average of 1.7 lbs a week (which is high considering my age). When I began, I could walk on the treadmill at about 2.8 mph for 10 minutes...and that's it...which is pretty pathetic! But I simply wasn't capable of doing any more than that, given my age, fitness level (non-existent) and too many years of smoking. So, I started with that, weak though it was and I made myself add a little more each week -- either a higher intensity (such as increasing my speed) or going any 5 or 10 minutes. Yes, those extra five minutes were hard, but you'd be amazed how much easier they become after a little while.

Today, only 5 months later, I now power walk for at least an hour at an average rate of 3.5 mph, plus I do a 20-30 minute bike ride (outside), plus a 15-20 minute strength workout with weights (upper body one day, lower body the next), plus I've recently added 15-20 minutes on the elliptical. Some may think that's still not much, but I am 55 after all!

So, do what you can at first, but make a conscious effort to increase things a bit each week. Push yourself to do a bit extra each week...and before you know it, you'll be doing a lot more. Good luck!
Congrats--you're right--as a recent non-smoker and being 55 you're doing great. I am 60--stopped smoking about 30 years ago--and I have been exercising since then. One time I took a few years off--and gained about 20 pounds--so went back to it--and lost all of it except I have just a few pounds to go. The one thing I realized long ago--is that exercise really kept me from looking at a cigarette again. I couldn't imagine working out hard and being able to smoke too. You can't. The other thing I realized that no matter how much weight you can lose--you should never stop exercising.

Last edited by Kscott; 08-07-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #6  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
Congrats--you're right--as a recent non-smoker and being 55 you're doing great. I am 60--stopped smoking about 30 years ago--and I have been exercising since then. One time I took a few years off--and gained about 20 pounds--so went back to it--and lost all of it except I have just a few pounds to go. The one thing I realized long ago--is that exercise really kept me from looking at a cigarette again. I couldn't imagine working out hard and being able to smoke too. You can't. The other thing I realized that no matter how much weight you can lose--you should never stop exercising.
I totally agree, especially with your last commment...the one about exercising being about more than just weight loss. I'm doing what I can on my own for now and in September I'm on vacation. But when I get back I will be hiring a personal trainer. I don't know what I want to do -- whether it's weight training, yoga, dance or something else (I'm hiring a firm that has all sorts of different trainers in order to decide), but I want to find something I enjoy that I can learn properly, and then make it a regular part of my life even after my diet is over. Otherwise, I'm going to lose more and more mobility/flexibility as I get older...and I don't want to live like that.

I also agree...now that I know how good it feels to exercise and be active, I can't imagine ever smoking again. I wish I'd done this years ago...like you did!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
I totally agree, especially with your last commment...the one about exercising being about more than just weight loss. I'm doing what I can on my own for now and in September I'm on vacation. But when I get back I will be hiring a personal trainer. I don't know what I want to do -- whether it's weight training, yoga, dance or something else (I'm hiring a firm that has all sorts of different trainers in order to decide), but I want to find something I enjoy that I can learn properly, and then make it a regular part of my life even after my diet is over. Otherwise, I'm going to lose more and more mobility/flexibility as I get older...and I don't want to live like that.

I also agree...now that I know how good it feels to exercise and be active, I can't imagine ever smoking again. I wish I'd done this years ago...like you did!
I am a Jazzercise addict--and have been doing it for decades--(with the exception of those couple of years) and just love it. A one hour class works every muscle in your body. It starts out with dance cardio/aerobics--then we move into weights--bands and balls for arms--legs--rears and core strength--(which we really need at our age.) I am a social person and like working out with others. My husband has a gym downstairs--but I go to class. I get a little bored on the machines.

The other thing I learned. I don't know if you watched "Weight of the Nation?" In that they stated that people like me who exercised a lot and then gave it up--when they go back they have to work just as hard as they did in their prior work-out years to make a difference. Meaning I have had to work out just as hard as I did in my 30's--which was difficult at first. The good news is--even though I am 60--I now feel like I am back in my 30's/40's. I feel great--and I am never going to stop again. They say that regular consistent exercisers take 10 to 15 years off of their physical age. I believe it.

Good Luck to you and Congratulations again. You're one in a million.