Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscott View Post
One of the biggest myths about Yoga is it's easy, ha.ha. It's not. I consider myself physically fit--I exercise--mainly aerobic a lot--but for me to do yoga I'm a total beginner--and feel like blob myself. It's hard for me to keep my balance in certain positions and I'm typically re-adjusting all of the time.

Just keep it up and you'll get good at it is my suggestion. And remember you're not the only one that's having problems with it.
I never said it was easy, I'm not even trying to get good at it. I just want to be able to breathe during some of the awkward poses. But thanks for the pep, it's nice to know that it's not just me having trouble with it.

Last edited by Palestrina; 05-21-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #17  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Just came from class, and today I used both a bolster and a yoga strap for numerous poses that I couldn't do on my own. Both are relatively cheap. Just a suggestion
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #18  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I do Bikram yoga and YES there are poses that are more difficult because of the amount and distribution of my weight and that I simply CANNOT achieve the full expression of the posture (I have flexibility issues, too) BUT there is NO SUCH thing as too fat for yoga. There's no too old, no too inflexible, no too unfit. Yoga is a journey and not a destination.

Find a studio that is welcoming and where the teachers will help you to adjust postures so that you're correctly working toward the right way of doing it.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #19  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Also - a good deal of it is flexibility. The longer you do yoga the more flexible you'll become and the more feasible positions are.

I've also very flexible (I could still do splits at 325lbs) and even at 5'5" and 230lbs I was able to get in many/most of the positions. The only pose that was a struggle for me because of my boobs/belly was Child's pose...and I felt like I was suffocating.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojane View Post
Just came from class, and today I used both a bolster and a yoga strap for numerous poses that I couldn't do on my own. Both are relatively cheap. Just a suggestion
In restorative yoga it's all about the props! I use numerous blocks, bolsters, blankets, straps, soft pillows, you name it! I've ordered a few blocks to use at home but it will take time and money to collect all the props needed for this type of yoga
Old 05-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi52 View Post
If you don't feel good doing yoga, try tai chi. I hated yoga, it was so painful for me. Tai chi is awesome and works out every muscle in your body.
I don't hate yoga so I will keep doing it. But I love tai chi, but I can't find any classes in my area! There are a few elderly Chinese people who congregate at a nearby park but I'm too shy to join them, the look like they know what they're doing.

Update - I found some tai chi classes and I'm going to one tonight! I will still continue to do some yoga because the stretching is extremely beneficial to me but I can't devote a lot of time to it. I just can't mentally sit in a class for 1.5hrs holding a position.

Last edited by Palestrina; 06-03-2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 372/224/186

Height: 5'7

I have alot of knee issues so Yoga is a must for me. I do Bikram 5 days a week for 90 minutes .. and I love it, I have gotten pretty good at it but I still usually feel like a blob. Until its over and then I feel really strong!
Moxie574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #23  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Regarding Child's pose!

I also have a problem with the child's pose and feeling like I am squashing everything. Not only am I heavy but I have 38HH boobs so there's a lot of everything in front of me.

But I do yoga on a regular basis and use a wide-kneed child's pose. You just move your knees out as wide as you need to in order to accomodate your chest and stomach. My yoga instructor also does it for preggo yoga.

Here's an example of it: http://anandaayurveda.files.wordpres...hilds-pose.jpg
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess Jessica View Post
Regarding Child's pose!

I also have a problem with the child's pose and feeling like I am squashing everything. Not only am I heavy but I have 38HH boobs so there's a lot of everything in front of me.

But I do yoga on a regular basis and use a wide-kneed child's pose. You just move your knees out as wide as you need to in order to accomodate your chest and stomach. My yoga instructor also does it for preggo yoga.

Here's an example of it: http://anandaayurveda.files.wordpres...hilds-pose.jpg
Thanks you're right it does help.