Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Could Too Much Running Be Slowing Your Metabolism?

So, this guy wrote an article called "Women Should Not Run," and it's backed up by a ton of references from exercise/physiology journals. The gist of it is that an excess of "steady-state" cardio (not HIIT, but just you treadmilling all of the time) pushes your body into a sort of survival mode and pushes you into a form of hypothyroidism.

I thought that this was pretty compelling, but then again, I am not addicted to running as I have knee problems.

Just thought I'd throw this link out there, for those interested.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5...hould-not-run/
RVAscreenwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

On my phone, so this will be brief. I'm a half marathoner that's getting close to starting marathon training. I disagree with both the idea that women only run for weight loss, for me that's a happy benefit, and also the idea that it's steady state cardio. But I'm also not a treadmill runner. I've never used one.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #3  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I couldn't even read through the article the whole way....because it just is the direct opposite of what I've personally experienced...ive been running (on the treadmill due to awful outdoor allergies) for over a year and a half and I've watched my body get more toned, stronger, more in shape and my metabolism boosted quite a bit....through steady-state cardio, power walking, incline walking and HIIT running

while I suppose this article could possibly be true for someone, it definitely hasn't proven true for me
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote