Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #1  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default stretching. Who knew?

Been working out like a fiend this week. I stepped up my program from in the house, flat ground, to the lovely hills surrounding us. Now my shins have been sore for days. Hubby suggested yesterday that I stretch again. Whatever, whatever, hon. Then today I finally had enough of the shin ache. I warmed up a little and then did stretches specifically for that area. Hmmm... no more aching shins. Shhhh. Don't tell hubby he was right.
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #2  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Lol, your secret is safe! Isn't it amazing what a little stretching can do? I have to stretch or my glutes, hips & calves are ridiculously tight & uncomfortable.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 AM   #3  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Yay!!
Stretching is my favourite form of exercise.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:45 AM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I try to do random little stretches throughout the day. I sit at a desk most of the day, so I will reach down and touch my toes while sitting, run in place for a minute while in the restroom, touch my toes a few times while I'm waiting for my food to cook, etc.

And I've recently taken to doing at least 20 sit-ups a day.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #5  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
I try to do random little stretches throughout the day. I sit at a desk most of the day, so I will reach down and touch my toes while sitting, run in place for a minute while in the restroom, touch my toes a few times while I'm waiting for my food to cook, etc.

And I've recently taken to doing at least 20 sit-ups a day.
That's great! Those stretches are so important when we spend the day sitting!
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 246

Height: 5'3"

Default Shin Splints

I have been getting shin splints since starting up a walking routine. I had two different pair of New Balance that I tried and both continued to bother me. I read about shin splints on-line and it suggested writing the alphabet with using your feet. I've done this for a couple of days and I bought some new New Balance 847s. Walked 10 laps for about 30 minutes with no issues. I have always read to stretch afterwards, so that's what I do. Probably a combination of all three things, but I'm so glad I was free of shin splints today!
mom2sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #7  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2sands View Post
I have been getting shin splints since starting up a walking routine. I had two different pair of New Balance that I tried and both continued to bother me. I read about shin splints on-line and it suggested writing the alphabet with using your feet. I've done this for a couple of days and I bought some new New Balance 847s. Walked 10 laps for about 30 minutes with no issues. I have always read to stretch afterwards, so that's what I do. Probably a combination of all three things, but I'm so glad I was free of shin splints today!
I'll try the alphabet thing this week if my shins start to hurt again. So far so good. It's also a motivator to keep walking because if I stop and then start back up again, I may have to go through the sore shins all over again.
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #8  
Florence

S/C/G: 155/152/132

Height: 5'6''

if i had the time and patience for it, i'd spend 45 minutes stretching after a workout. i feel so much better after i do it... some gyms have actually a whole hour of pure stretching! (i miss those days).
it makes me feel lighter after a workout, and even less tired phisically.
loser59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I don't know how old you are but after have a c-section and entering my late 30's I've begun to realize that flexibility is extremely important in my overall physical health. I was one of those people that used to laugh at yoga, I actually thought it was stupid. I was one of those people who went to an aerobics class and would leave during the "cool down stretch" of the class. Don't get me wrong, I'd always do the obligatory hamstring stretches before a run but I wasn't interested in anything beyond touching my toes in terms of flexibility.

But I have to tell you, with all the stress of being a mother and a working professional I've learned that my mind is on overload and my body is reeling from the effects of that. I've started doing restorative yoga and it has changed my life. It has really helped me with my c-section recovery, keeps me limber and helps relax my achy back, shoulders, neck etc.

Flexibility is key!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote