Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default WHOA....vast calorie burn difference! o_O

I admit, I'm one of those people who likes to see how many calories I've burned when I'm on the treadmill/elliptical/stairmaster. I know that the counters on the machines are notoriously inaccurate, though, so I try to take it with a grain of salt.

Lately, though, I've become really annoyed by having to hang onto the sensors just to get a reading (who wants to do that when I could be working my arms, too?!) So I bought a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor watch with a chest strap transmitter.

Last night I wore it to the gym for the first time while I did W1D2 of C25K. When I had finished my 30 minutes, I looked at the treadmill readout: 257 calories.

Then I looked at my heart rate monitor watch....

.......561 calories?!

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm *thrilled*. *L* But from what I've read, I expected my readout from the heart rate monitor to be *lower* than the treadmill readout, not higher.

I'm thinking that my HR monitor is the one to trust, because after all, it's taking much more into consideration than the treadmill is, and it's reading my heart rate continuously.

Should I trust the reading? I'll be going to the gym again tomorrow and I'll see if I get a similar reading (I'll be doing W1D3.)
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/175.3/TBD

Height: 5'2

Did you get a similar reading today?

My first reaction is the number sounds high for 30 minutes of walk/jog, but that may be the pessimist in me....are you really working hard - like sweating, heart pounding for pretty much the whole time? Than maybe you are burning that many. I am no expert by any means, but I guess I'd also be inclined to trust a HRM over the machine

I finished Week 1 of C25k today, too...hope it is going well for you

Last edited by straightahead; 04-07-2013 at 09:56 PM.
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM   #3  
Up and at 'em...again!

I was like you, I thought the calorie count was a wee bit high. So I wore the monitor again during my workout yesterday. I did W1D3 of C35K and then 20 minutes on the stairmaster, plus a brisk ten-minute walk home. It was a grand total of 68 minutes, and I burned a total of 554 calories. So, obviously, a biiiig difference between the two days.

But then I sat and thought about it for a bit, and I *think* I might know what caused the difference. On Friday when I worked out, I turned on my heart monitor before I even left the house, so it added the calories I burned during my walk to the gym. Now, mind you, it's only a ten-minute walk, but still...I burned *some* calories. And then I figure, well, my heart rate was already elevated when I started my official workout.

Yesterday, I didn't turn my monitor on until I got on the treadmill and officially started my workout.

So 554 calories for an hour seems a fair bit more reasonable. *L*

(P.S. I'm starting Week 2 of C25K tomorrow. I'm nervous but I'm also really, really excited. *L*)

Last edited by Snoofie; 04-08-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

wow i would love a monitor like that for when i ride my bike! is it available online?
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #5  
HEALTHIER ME

S/C/G: 190/152/135

Height: 5'9

Me too, I think I'd trust the gadget that is really attached to the body than the machine. The heart rate monitor is more accurate for me since it constantly monitoring your entire workout so I guess it's reliable.

For Alyssa I think you can find a monitor like that in amazon. I have a monitor too, and it really helps a lot especially in motivating you to go even further in your workout routine and get a much higher number of calories burned. Good luck to our weight loss journey

Last edited by wangela87; 04-08-2013 at 08:21 PM.
wangela87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangela87 View Post
Me too, I think I'd trust the gadget that is really attached to the body than the machine. The heart rate monitor is more accurate for me since it constantly monitoring your entire workout so I guess it's reliable.

For Alyssa I think you can find a monitor like that in amazon. I have a monitor too, and it really helps a lot especially in motivating you to go even further in your workout routine and get a much higher number of calories burned. Good luck to our weight loss journey
what exactly would i search for? portable heart-rate monitor? but how do i specify that i want it to count calories burned and stuff?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #7  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Just type in "heart rate monitor watches" in your search. This is Snoofie's HRM watch though I dunno about the color. I would buy online since it can be cheaper than buying in the stores. This user guide may help you understand how it works. I read that Polar is a good brand and seems to be the most recommended HRM.

I have been wanting one for a long time! I may buy the exact same one that Snoofie has!

As for the OP and with your followup post, it makes sense why it was higher since your walk was also recorded. Good luck with C25K!

Last edited by amandie; 04-08-2013 at 11:56 PM.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandie View Post
Just type in "heart rate monitor watches" in your search. This is Snoofie's HRM watch though I dunno about the color. I would buy online since it can be cheaper than buying in the stores. This user guide may help you understand how it works. I read that Polar is a good brand and seems to be the most recommended HRM.

I have been wanting one for a long time! I may buy the exact same one that Snoofie has!

As for the OP and with your followup post, it makes sense why it was higher since your walk was also recorded. Good luck with C25K!
the one you linked me is way too expensive. i found one for $25, but idk about getting it... my only income is $25 a week.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #9  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Autopsy View Post
the one you linked me is way too expensive. i found one for $25, but idk about getting it... my only income is $25 a week.
Ah that sucks. Maybe ask for it as a b-day gift or something? I have been looking on Ebay and bidding on a few of them- some are used and some are new. Good luck and hope you're able to find one soon!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #10  
Up and at 'em...again!

Alyssa, I got my heart rate monitor on Amazon from a store called "Off Kilter Sports". It was a bit pricey, but I've bought other, cheaper ones in the past and they just weren't worth it. I can definitely relate to not having the available funds to buy it, though....I second the thought someone else had, maybe you could ask for it as a birthday gift or something. Mine was worth every single penny. It's a Polar FT7 with the chest strap and I find it so useful.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #11  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:

Mine is gold and black. And I just *love* it. I had doubts about it because I've had other HRMs in the past and didn't get any use out of them (they were cheaper versions and just didn't measure up). I did a lot of research this time and the Polars definitely had the most positive reviews, so that's why I decided on that one.

And thanks for the encouragement on the C25K. I just did W2D1 tonight and I'm still standing, so I consider that a win. (But I guess the real verdict will come tomorrow, when we'll see if I can get out of bed! *L*)
Old 04-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #12  

Quote:
Ah that sucks. Maybe ask for it as a b-day gift or something? I have been looking on Ebay and bidding on a few of them- some are used and some are new. Good luck and hope you're able to find one soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoofie View Post
Alyssa, I got my heart rate monitor on Amazon from a store called "Off Kilter Sports". It was a bit pricey, but I've bought other, cheaper ones in the past and they just weren't worth it. I can definitely relate to not having the available funds to buy it, though....I second the thought someone else had, maybe you could ask for it as a birthday gift or something. Mine was worth every single penny. It's a Polar FT7 with the chest strap and I find it so useful.

well my b-day gift has already been agreed-upon ($100 that i didn't get at xmas and $150 for my b-day... so i can get my eyebrows tattooed on again) but i decided to go ahead and buy it. if it's crap, i can always return it.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #13  
Up and at 'em...again!

I don't think you'll find it's crap. Like I said, I love mine, and Polar is a well-established, reputable company. They're one of the best-known and highest-rated when it comes to HRMs. Good luck with it!