Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/270/175

Height: 5"6'

Question Inaccurate calories burned ??

Hi all

I have an account with sparkpeople. I am 270 lbs and I swam a crawl for 45 minutes. I would say I used a moderate to vigorous effort. But it says I burned 1100 calories. How do they figure this? I was pretty hungry afterwards but it just seems like much. Does anyone know where I can find a good calories burned counter ?? Thanks . Jamie
missunderstood28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Swimming does burn some pretty crazy calories I think, but I think if you want the closest estimate of calories burned, you might want to invest in a heart rate monitor (water proof of course ) I haven't got one yet, but I have been looking for the right one. It is on my wish list lol
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #3  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I've been really amazed since wearing a HR monitor and finding that most machines are fairly accurate for me! If anything, the elliptical and treadmill underestimate my calories burned.

I prefer calorie counts determined through perceived effort. They have calculators like that online and they don't seem to overestimate.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote