Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default First day of running! :)

I have been putting off training for a 5k for a few weeks now... for the annoying reason that I am a perfectionist and don't like to fail at things so I just don't do them lol ... I was afraid to start running because I've always been so out of shape that I haven't been able to go far with it. I lost 25 lbs and have wanted to start running and tonight I finally got on the treadmill and did it. I was out of breath and probably didnt run as long as I should have.. but it was a first step and I think it will be easier tomorrow.

Any tips for a first time overweight runner would be really appreciated.
shannylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

You could try the Couch to 5k program... Basically it starts with 5 min warm up, 60 sec run, 90 sec walk, then progressively increases week by week... At first you may find the increase too quick for you but just go at your own pace. When you first start you should only run every 2 days and probably no more that 3x/week...

Good luck and let us know how you did...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Definitely try one of the C25K apps... I personally haven't done one myself, but I've looked at a few and they look very doable and I like the fact that they start off nice and easy... which is key... because I think one of the biggest pitfalls is trying to do "too much... too soon..." just remember running takes endurance... and building endurance takes time... and don't be afraid to walk, if you need to... just because you walk, doesn't mean you are not a runner... enjoy...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Another C25ker here. Last April, I started in the 200s and could barely run 45 seconds when I started. Today, I did 8.2 miles. What a difference a day makes. C25k definitely helped me pace my way through and the app was great (android & ipod).

Other tips....Pace yourself, don't move too far too fast. Get good shoes. Run your own race. You will see people moving faster and going farther but do what works for you. Remember, the victory is that you're moving!!!!!!!!!

Happy running
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/222/160

Height: 5'1"

I started C210K last week. I too am over weight and have never been a runner. I have decided to run The Color Run 5k in July. I've been happy with the iPhone app. I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in not wanting to fail so I haven't told anyone I've signed up for the race yet.

Best of luck to you!!!!!!
Timeforchange2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:13 AM   #6  
Michelle :D

S/C/G: 85/64.1/56

Height: 164cm

congrats on starting!
I did a similar thing, started out with running to the lenght of my fav song(after warm up) and then slowly increased the time.
I am now on 15mins - doesnt sound like a lot but i am immesly proud of myself. i would run the same distance for a week then add an incline and after a week i would increase the time, next week increase incline again and so on.

I also think a rest day inbetween runs is a good idea (espssially for beginners - i tried every day but my body just gave up on the 5th day so i went to every 2nd day and i find it much easier and i dont get discouraged so easily)
Fortunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #7  
Make each day count!

S/C/G: 263.5/see ticker/180 for now

Height: 5'8"

I have NEVER ran in any race, but got talked into doing the COLORMERAD run (benefits the special olympics) the beginning of May. I've started slow and on most days just jog with some incline for 5 miles, and other days I'll put the incline to zero and attempt to "run" 3.1miles (then slow down to a fast walk with high incline to finish out another 1.5miles). I have never tried any of the C25K apps but it seems lots of people like them. Just to give you an idea though (since you're a perfectionist), one of my friends (who is also overweight) that has done several 5K's in the last year said that even with completing it in 47minutes, she still wasn't the last one (her goal is to not be the last one).
So hop on the treadmill and aim to increase your distance/speed a little each week. When the 5K race is a month away, see how long it takes you to reach 3.1miles (I bet you'll be under 47 minutes!) and work on it from there.
Good luck!
mccull83 is offline   Reply With Quote