Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 114.4/93/93

Height: 5"3'

Unhappy I can't do situps

I posted this in the fitness videos section but thought I might get more of a response here. I'm on day two of the 30 day shred level 3 and can do most of the moves although I have to modify some of them. But I just can't do the minute of situps. The most I can manage is about five modified situps and then I pretty much collapse. How can I improve? Or should I substitute the situps with something else? I know it sounds silly but I feel so disappointed in myself for being stuck on this one move after having come so far.
IzzyD07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/171/153 now 185/185/155

Height: 5'3"

Whe I started the shred video I struggled with pushups. I just challenged myself to do one more pushup for a week then increased from there. I watched the dvd to see how many pushups Jillian did and made that my goal. Then I worked toward that number each time I did the video. So, if I could do 4, I would try 5. I knew I couldn't keep up with the experts but I could increase the number at my pace and celebrate my improvement.

I did not go back a level because it was no longer a challenge and my goal was to push myself to increase my stamina.
ImImportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I like imimportant's response. The only way to improve at something is to continue doing it! Try not to get down on yourself, and just keep at it- some things are harder for certain people than others!

Also- I would get the "can't" mentality out of your head. Your brain is pretty powerful thing, and I'm willing to bet that when the time comes for you to so the sit up portion of the workout, you may feel frustrated or discouraged before you even start. Brain power!

If you want another way to work your core, planks are a good option, or "standing crunches" where you would put your hands behind your head and then bring one knee as close as possible to the opposite elbow while standing- but keep at it- you'll improve over time. Even if its a small improvement over a long time, it's improvement!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 253/226/145

Height: 5'9

I set goals for myself, if I can do five today depending on how many days a week I am doing sit ups my goal would be six next week. Small realistic goals and you will see how fast you can be doing a full minute of sit-ups! Don't use the words "I can't" because like the person above said, the brain is a powerful muscle! So strive for six sit-ups next week!!
wendychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 114.4/93/93

Height: 5"3'

Thanks for the advice! I did level 3 again today but weighed my feet down while doing the situps and was able to continue for the whole minute I definitely didn't do as many as Natalie or Anita but I guess that gives me something to aim for and I will certainly ditch the "can't" attitude.
IzzyD07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #6  

Everyone starts somewhere, keep trying with the sit-ups! It's like any other exercise. When I started exercising, I couldn't do a single-push-up. Like I COULD NOT AT ALL LIFT MY BODY. Now I can.

Keep doing the modified sit-ups and track your progress. Make it your goal to do at least as many as you are capable of every time and try your hardest to add one extra rep. If you can only do five, do it, and try to do 6.

You will get there.
CabernetKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #7  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Everyone has given fabulous advice, especially about getting rid of the 'can't' word from your vocabulary. I used to not be able to do a situp or pushup, and both are still hard for me, but I can do them. Maybe not a lot, but I am getting better. Keep pushing, that's how your body will get stronger and you can do more. You can do this!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote