Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #1  
Japanese Student

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'3''

Default Upper arm flab...

I've always felt like I have an inordinate amount of flab on my upper arms. I mean, I know I'm fat, but I've seen people who've looked bigger, or I know are bigger than me, and still don't have as much flab as I do.
I don't do tricep extensions every day, maybe about once or twice a week, with a weight that's at least 12 pounds. There was a time when I did do them almost everyday on WiiFit, but WiiFit got boring for me, so I haven't done them as often. But even then, my arms never really changed.
Does anyone know of some more exercises I could do, or should I just ramp up how often I do tricep extensions? Is there anything else I could do that would help lift them up? I hate wearing a shirt size too big for me just to hide my arms...
I'm only 18... I shouldn't have extra skin already, should I?
Spiritix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #2  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

You cannot spot reduce fat by doing arm exercises. Fat loss will happen as you continue to lose weight. If you have a lot of weight on your upper arms, it's because this is where your body wants to carry a lot of your fat.

You should go ahead and lift weights for your arms anyway (heavy compound movements will be best-- especially overhead presses, dumbbell bench presses, rows, pushups, assisted chinups or pullups, etc). You'll retain muscle while you're dieting, maybe even build a little, and get stronger. Then, once you lose the fat covering the muscles (and that's really all about diet, not exercise), you'll have awesome arms.

Check out sontaikle's blog post about arms:
http://healthplusfifty.wordpress.com...s-part-1-arms/
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #3  
Japanese Student

Oh, okay, I see. Urgh! It's no fair... Oh well though, all the more reason to keep at it! Thank you
Old 09-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #4  
Fitter, Happier, Awesomer

S/C/G: 168/maintaining 115-120

Height: 5' 6"

You're welcome. You're right, keeping at it will get you the results that you want!
sumire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5

Yeah--I tend to gain weight on my upper body--on my belly, arms, and breasts. I think it's kind of associated with being naturally busty.

Doing arm exercises will tone your arms--and building up triceps and shoulders with weights can help reduce the flabby hanging, and replace fat you lose with muscle.
Stopfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #6  
Japanese Student

Naturally busty, huh? One more reason!